2019 ROT

DreamKid

Heading into the final game of the season for the Ravens. Their rushing attack sits on the precipice of history. With the Steelers great defense if the Ravens can reach these milestones it will truly be deserved.

The Steelers have only given up 100 yards rushing four times this season (IIRC): against the Ravens, Seahawks, 49ers, and Colts.

With Lamar likely resting along with guys like Andrews and perhaps Yanda, it’ll be interesting to see if these milestones can be reached in the final game.

- 127 rushing yards needed: Ravens become the first team in a 16 game schedule to average 200 yds rushing.

- 93 yards rushing needed: Ravens finish with the most rushing yards in NFL history.

- 57 yards passing needed: Ravens become the first team in NFL history to average 200 yds rushing and 200 yds passing (along with total above).

- 16 yards rushing needed: Ravens finish with the second most rushing yards in NFL history.

^^^^ Reposting for future reference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Random but I feel like the Ravens breaking the single season team rushing record hasn’t been getting the proper notoriety/clout. I don’t think this record will ever be broken in our lifetimes. Would be pretty crazy if this team puts up a similar season and ends up with all three of the top spots of all time.

I mean even with a change in the offensive philosophy to something a bit more pass heavy I can’t imagine the unit not putting up crazy numbers with the collection of talent they have and will still have next season along the OL, in the TE room, and RB room.

• Like 3

What's everyone's thoughts on the chances of Lamar breaking the single game rushing record?

We've already seen instances like it before, and it will definitely happen again. There's going to be days where the defense he's going against just has no ability to contain him. On designed runs or broken/scramble plays. It sounds shocking, but when you really consider it- is it so far stretched?

He's only going to get Bigger/Stronger/Faster for the next couple of years, and it's not like his instincts as a runner are going to get worse. It's easy to picture a game where he chains some massive runs early and puts himself within striking distance should he set his mind to it.

I do think we're going to see Lamar follow the trajectory of the other uber talented mobile quarterbacks, where over time they throw the ball more and more as they continue to come into their mechanics. That doesn't lessen the chances though imo. As teams start to respect his arm more and more, the scramble windows are going to explode. And Lamar being the All-Pro PG he is, will exploit the hell out of them.

It would be awesome if he could get that record back for the Ravens.

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

What's everyone's thoughts on the chances of Lamar breaking the single game rushing record?

We've already seen instances like it before, and it will definitely happen again. There's going to be days where the defense he's going against just has no ability to contain him. On designed runs or broken/scramble plays. It sounds shocking, but when you really consider it- is it so far stretched?

He's only going to get Bigger/Stronger/Faster for the next couple of years, and it's not like his instincts as a runner are going to get worse. It's easy to picture a game where he chains some massive runs early and puts himself within striking distance should he set his mind to it.

I do think we're going to see Lamar follow the trajectory of the other uber talented mobile quarterbacks, where over time they throw the ball more and more as they continue to come into their mechanics. That doesn't lessen the chances though imo. As teams start to respect his arm more and more, the scramble windows are going to explode. And Lamar being the All-Pro PG he is, will exploit the hell out of them.

It would be awesome if he could get that record back for the Ravens.

I think it’s more likely that we add a RB in the next few seasons through the draft that with Lamar in tow... would be able to break it with huge rushing windows.

I think it’s “possible” for Lamar to rush for the QB record, but remember Lamar doesn’t “like” to run. The difference between someone like he and Vick is Lamar wants to reward his WRs, he feels personally responsible if they aren’t producing and he wants to look to spread the ball around to them. I think 297 rushing yards is kind of a selfish milestone for a player to reach in the modern NFL. Guys now-a-days have RB rotations and actually enjoy the rotation (whereas back in the day the feature back was all about getting them carries, otherwise Priest Holmes would’ve never left the Ravens backfield if he was getting equal carries as Lewis).

So I’d put the peak rushing numbers for Lamar somewhere between 160 yards and 200 yards. But it would likely be a game where he rushes for 200 yards and passes for 200 yards... something ridiculous like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Heading into the final game of the season for the Ravens. Their rushing attack sits on the precipice of history. With the Steelers great defense if the Ravens can reach these milestones it will truly be deserved.

The Steelers have only given up 100 yards rushing four times this season (IIRC): against the Ravens, Seahawks, 49ers, and Colts.

With Lamar likely resting along with guys like Andrews and perhaps Yanda, it’ll be interesting to see if these milestones can be reached in the final game.

- 127 rushing yards needed: Ravens become the first team in a 16 game schedule to average 200 yds rushing.

- 93 yards rushing needed: Ravens finish with the most rushing yards in NFL history.

- 57 yards passing needed: Ravens become the first team in NFL history to average 200 yds rushing and 200 yds passing (along with total above).

- 16 yards rushing needed: Ravens finish with the second most rushing yards in NFL history.

^^^^ Reposting for future reference.

I’m finally at a point in the offseason where I’m over the playoff loss and can fully appreciate just how amazing an accomplishment this was. We were truly watching history, I’m so glad I could attend a game and be a part of witnessing live the historic rushing attack in some additional capacity.

With the pool of WRs in this draft and us likely to add another threat, I’m sure we’re not like to see another such rushing attack that tops the 3k yards mark again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

In terms of media perception of how many hits he takes from running or is this referring to something else?

I was just thinking a total number of hits he takes during a season. We are constantly told his playstyle can't be sustained because of the many hits he takes. Last year some stat site went with that narrative and pointed towards Lamar being "hit" XX times in a specific game. Someone went back and saw the game and mentioned, that all those "hits" shouldn't be categorized as hits as they where pushes out of bounds or touches as Lamar went down on purpose.

If we put it into a system like "shoves/pushes", normal hit, hard hit, etc., something like that, we could see how much more punishment Lamar takes compared to other quarterbacks. I don't think it is that much more worse than a quarterback like Desaun Watson who takes a lot of bad hits either due to oline play or that he holds the ball too long.

Edit: Apparently Ken McKusick has already completed such an analysis and has broken it down to a value based on shoves, drag downs, hits, hard hits etc. I hope there will be some sort of comparative analysis with another QB subject - as I don't think it will give e clear picture if his numbers stand alone.

Edited by Danand
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...