2019 ROT

DreamKid

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yeah no major offense to Joe Flacco, but he doesn’t make that throw to Hollywood Brown. We’ve seen similar throws to Torrey Smith where he can’t match his speed and either underthrow (so that it’s not a touchdown) or overthrow him (so that best case it’s DPI).

What made that play so impressive was that he hit Hollywood in stride so that he didn’t have to slow down and could catch it and then keep going for the score. Minkah has 4.46 speed at safety, if Hollywood has to stop to catch that, it’s not a touchdown.

Anyways, moving on from the Flacco comparison, people act like all of those throws were Dolphins tanking and just playing bad defense, Lamar was throwing dimes out there. Would be funny if that Dolphins team upsets the Patriots, I wonder what the excuses will be then... I mean that was “one of the worst teams in NFL history” (after playing only one game).

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah no major offense to Joe Flacco, but he doesn’t make that throw to Hollywood Brown. We’ve seen similar throws to Torrey Smith where he can’t match his speed and either underthrow (so that it’s not a touchdown) or overthrow him (so that best case it’s DPI).

Yeah in a Joe Flacco offense that ball is underthrown, DPI, then we kick a long FG and call it a successful drive.

What made that play so impressive was that he hit Hollywood in stride so that he didn’t have to slow down and could catch it and then keep going for the score. Minkah has 4.46 speed at safety, if Hollywood has to stop to catch that, it’s not a touchdown.

Word. That throw as perfect.

Anyways, moving on from the Flacco comparison, people act like all of those throws were Dolphins tanking and just playing bad defense, Lamar was throwing dimes out there. Would be funny if that Dolphins team upsets the Patriots, I wonder what the excuses will be then... I mean that was “one of the worst teams in NFL history” (after playing only one game).

The general consensus seems to be right now that this Dolphins team might be the worst team ever because they just got decimated in week 1 by the Ravens. I guess when we decimated the Bills last year in week 1 they were also the worst team ever? Idk.

• Like 1

On another note, just have to say that similar to last year I saw some inconsistencies with Skura’s snaps out there. I could easily see that if we were in very wet conditions, some of his snaps could’ve led to Lamar “fumbles”.

He needs to be upgraded for that reason alone. We need someone that presents a more reliable snap with consistent placement and consistent snap speed.

36 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Marquise Brown ran 8 routes the entire game and yet it felt like he dominated the game.

Mark Andrews played 32 snaps (11 Fewer than Hurst and Boyle) and put up 8/108/1

Bozeman got the start at LG. Mekari came in at RG (over Powers when we benched Yanda).

Powers was inactive. While I definitely don’t disagree that Mekari has/is likely better, I'm guessing his versatility to play every position on the OL gives him the start over Powers.

Ive also looked at the Hollywood snap count due to starting him in fantasy and I would really like to see snap count by half with regard to Hollywood and Boykin.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the snap counts in the first half were much more like 35-40% for them and only went down as much due to seeing reduced time in the 3rd quarter and no time in the 4th.

Anyone know how many 3 TE sets we ran on Sunday?

Especially once Hollywood is healthy and playing a full load of snaps I want to see what it would look like to just try to bulldoze teams in that set running no-huddle if possible - you have Lamar flanked by Ingram in the backfield, put Hurst and Boyle on opposite sides next to the tackles ready to block or zip out on pass routes as needed, put Andrews in the slot on one side and then Hollywood split out wide opposite him and run RPO's for days. Run over them with what is essentially jumbo package when the option is available, or get Andrews running over the middle and Hollywood over the top with Boyle/Hurst/Ingram all providing potential shorter/intermediate checkdown options. Feels like the sort of thing that if we can properly get in a rhythm on will just completely exhaust defenses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

So after watching the Bucs game and OJ Howard, I feel Hurst isn’t so bad. He’s not as strong, but I feel if he was “the guy” and not Andrews, that’s the kind of production he would provide. Hard to fault Hurst too much since I feel Andrews will prove to be on the 2nd tier of TE by the end of this season.

While our offense is blessed to have 2(3 including Boyle) talented Tight Ends, Hayden's reputation is cursed. By all early appearances Mark Andrews is a phenom type player. One of the brightest rising offensive stars in the entire league, and for that Hurst and his early round status will be forever bemoaned. 

Hayden outperformed other TE1s around the league in Week 1- on limited opportunities(*Routes, Hayden actually out snapped Mark but his work predominantly came as a blocker). Even on Mark Andrews' biggest catch against the Dolphins, I had to laugh. If you look to the left you see Hayden with nothing but space in front of him after he got behind Minkah Fitzpatrick. Could've been another easy TD, but poor Hayden had to watch his buddy get yet another highlight grab lol.

It's almost assured that Hayden Hurst will turn in a great receiving campaign, with versatile and solid blocking contributions added in. And yet he'll be talked about as a disappointment by season's end, because Mark Andrews will put up some absurd numbers as a near pure pass catcher. 

That's just how it goes though, and that'd only be uneducated surface fan opinion. In reality, I hope Hurst continues to grow as a POA blocker and opens up new realms of versatility for our offense. I mean Hayden is the only skill player who could be lined up legit anywhere on offense. Hope Roman makes good use of him.

Watch Hayden beat Minkah on this rep, only to watch Mark reel one in :D(Better luck next time Hayden, keep grinding.)-

Edited by DreamKid

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

So after watching the Bucs game and OJ Howard, I feel Hurst isn’t so bad. He’s not as strong, but I feel if he was “the guy” and not Andrews, that’s the kind of production he would provide. Hard to fault Hurst too much since I feel Andrews will prove to be on the 2nd tier of TE by the end of this season.

The only reason OJ performed like he did is because he's in a Bruce Arians offense.  Look at his history as an OC or HC - outside of 1 year with Heath Miller, TEs are only bit parts of his schemes outside of blocking

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

The only reason OJ performed like he did is because he's in a Bruce Arians offense.  Look at his history as an OC or HC - outside of 1 year with Heath Miller, TEs are only bit parts of his schemes outside of blocking

True. But it’s a couple things. I also have been researching Greg Olsen recently and noticed how it took him something like 8 seasons in the league before he made his first probowl and got a 1000 yard season.

So even as an overaged prospect, Hurst and what he provides really isn’t bad. Looking at the Panthers game and DJ Moore isn’t as “special” with breaking tackles and accumulating YAC as I thought he would be (Steve Smith). His hands have improved and he gets a lot of receptions though, but I don’t look at him and see elite NFL potential anymore either, more like a more explosive Golden Tate. Ridley looks really good, but in retrospect I can’t say I would want to trade Boykin’s Potential for him... and I definitely wouldn’t trade Hollywood for him.

The only guys selected almost immediately after Hurst that I think about are Nick Chubb (obviously- one of my draft crushes for that year) and Darius Leonard (hindsight bias- since I didn’t look at him before the draft.)