Hokie Mock 1.0

Hokie

Hi guys,

Hope you're all doing well - I had some free time this Saturday afternoon and put together my first mock of the year. I think we can all agree that free agency has been underwhelming, to say the least. I was hoping the Taylor hire would spark real change but nearly a week into free agency and it's same ol' Bengals stuff. With that in mind, I'm going to make a mock based on what I think they do, not necessarily what I would do. The key caveat here - I don't think QB is going to be a huge focus. This QB class is very "meh" and next year's should be very good. Plus, I don't think the team is likely to be particularly good next year, and I don't think we'll have any trouble landing a top 10 pick. It's going to be a long year, fellas.

One additional caveat - I have mocked this draft without trades, but I think it's very likely at least one pick is traded; 11, with five in the 6th, is a lot... Anyway, without further adieu...

1.11 - Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan

Yes, DE isn't a huge need, and there's a pretty decent chance Gary is not available at 11, but the mock I did goes under the assumption White was not available and Gary was. Gary is a great height/weight/speed combo and is a top notch bull rusher. Could develop into an elite DE. Hubbard flashed but his upside is limited, Lawson hasn't shown to be much more than an edge rusher (hopefully the new staff will unleash him), and Dunlap is getting a long in the tooth. In spite of the talent on the defensive line it found a way to underwhelm last season. I view Gary as the best player available here and with the Bobby Hart deal (yuck), I don't think an OT is happening in round 1. A DL or LB is most likely. 

2.10 - Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas St. 

Risner's tape stands out more than his measurables. Good strength and strong hands. Has some positional flexibility too. I think the Bengals would be lucky to land him here. In all likelihood better than Bobby Hart as it is and you would think/hope he could supplant him at RT in training camp.

3.8 - Te'von Coney, LB, Notre Dame 

About as consistent as they come and has good instincts. Good short area burst and good in zone coverage. Has potential to turn into an average to above average starter (which would be quite an upgrade for this team).

4.8 - David Long, CB, Michigan 

Doesn't have great height or length but is a physical corner who plays with great focus. Very good in press coverage. Competes for reps as a rookie.

5.11 - Ryan Finley, QB, N.C. State

Developmental QB for Taylor - likely wins the backup job as a rookie. Very accurate, doesn't panic in the pocket. Good at reading coverages pre-snap. Average release and arm strength. 

6.10 - Drew Sample, TE, Washington

Tough run blocking TE who has potential as a pass catcher. Needs to work on his routes.

6.25 - Alex Bars, OG, Notre Dame

Potential day 2 selection before an ACL tear cut his season short. Technique needs work but was a productive three year starter on a team that consistently produces very good offensive lines.

6.37 - Marvell Tell, S, USC

Athletic safety prospect who is good in coverage. Thin frame and needs serious improvement as a tackler. 

6.38 - Johnnie Dixon, WR, Ohio St. 

Good top end speed but doesn't have much size or length. Quick enough to be an effective slot receiver but route running needs work. 

6.40 - Tony Pollard, RB, Memphis

Versatile and athletic RB. May be able to seize RB3 role over Walton, given his numerous issues.

7.9 - Jeff Allison, LB, Fresno St. 

Athletic and productive LB in college. Technique needs work - developmental, practice squad LB. 

I'm really not a fan of Rashan Gary. I don't want anything to do with him at 11. If we're going pass rush I'd much prefer Clelin Ferrell, probably even Montez Sweat - both of which are more well-rounded products. Are you a fan of his? His lack of production is extremely worrisome to me. If he can't produce in college I have reservations of him producing in the pros. 

I do, however, love Risner at 42 - though it's doubtful he lasts that long. 

The rest of the draft is okay. The Gary pick kind of killed it for me. I'd really like to snag a receiver or two from this deep class in the middle rounds. I think we're going to look back on this class and admire just how good a receiving class it was.

I commend you for putting in the effort for this though. You should come around more often.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Also not a fan of Gary.  Risner in the 2nd would be a good pick. Coney and Long are picked too high here. 

I don’t agree with Coney and Long. I think that’s about right where they go. 

Gary is a tough one. It’s a premium position and I guess it would depend who is on the board. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2019 at 7:16 PM, SmittyBacall said:

I'm really not a fan of Rashan Gary. I don't want anything to do with him at 11. If we're going pass rush I'd much prefer Clelin Ferrell, probably even Montez Sweat - both of which are more well-rounded products. Are you a fan of his? His lack of production is extremely worrisome to me. If he can't produce in college I have reservations of him producing in the pros. 

I do, however, love Risner at 42 - though it's doubtful he lasts that long. 

The rest of the draft is okay. The Gary pick kind of killed it for me. I'd really like to snag a receiver or two from this deep class in the middle rounds. I think we're going to look back on this class and admire just how good a receiving class it was.

I commend you for putting in the effort for this though. You should come around more often.

Thanks for the feedback (as well as from the rest). I used to come around more often - nothing to do with the crew here, it's a great bunch of guys. The last couple of seasons have burned me out a bit. Plus, life and stuff has gotten in the way. Hoping for the best from Zac Taylor; I don't think he has gotten off to a banter start. 

Regarding Gary - yes, he definitely looks the part of a boom or bust prospect, and I think an argument can easily be made that when picking at 11 someone with a higher floor is probably desired. Few have his athletic traits and raw power, and I do think he was playing out of position at UM. He would be a guy who you're obviously hoping gives you better production in the pros than college. That does happen sometimes, but not often, so I understand why some would have significant reservations about him. I think he's likely to be available at 11 and likely lands somewhere in the middle of the 1st. 

Agreed on Risner - seems unlikely he's dropping to 42. 

I'm likely going to post a final mock later tonight or tomorrow evening... some changes will be forthcoming now that we have additional information. 

Mock 2.0 - I fully expect the Bengals to package some of the 6ths to move up at some point, but for mock purposes I'm not going to project any trades.

1.11 Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

It’s no secret that LB is a major need for the Bengals, and there is a huge dropoff in LB talent once you get past the two Devins. Truthfully, I feel like it’s 50/50 at best that one is available here, and if neither are, I feel like they’re more likely to go the OT route. For mock purposes, let’s assume Bush is available. Bush has great speed for the position and has elite athleticism. Very good in coverage (something the Bengals desperately lack from their current LB core) and is a mean player. If he was two inches taller, he’d probably be a top 5-7 pick (could be anyway). Projects best as an impact WILL LB but could slide to MLB if needed. Provides a jolt to a position area that desperately needs it.

2.10 Max Scharping, OT, Northern Illinois

OT is another big need for the Bengals and a position I could easily see them going with in the first round. Bobby Hart is a band-aid at RT (and a poor one at that), and a long term answer is needed. Scharping started 53 games in his career and was first team all-MAC three times. Played very well vs FSU’s Brian Burns in 2018. Not an elite athlete but has a high football IQ that he uses to his advantage. Allowed only one sack his last three seasons. Could easily push Hart for a starting gig as a rookie (and given Glenn’s injury concerns, he likely finds his way to the field at some point regardless).

3.8 Ryan Finley, QB, N.C. State

It’s possible the Bengals go with a QB in round 1 but I think it’s unlikely. I think the plan is for Dalton to start this season and Taylor look for the long term answer in next year’s better QB class. Meanwhile, the Bengals need an upgrade at backup QB and someone who could potentially start a few games in 2020 while a rookie develops (in the event Dalton is traded for a pick next offseason, which I see as a real possibility). Finley has good size for the position but only average arm strength. Relatively accurate QB but doesn’t really wow you. Not very mobile in the pocket. Doesn’t take a lot of chances at QB. Honestly, reminds me a bit of a less mobile version of Dalton. He projects to be a good backup and spot starter, but I don’t expect much more. I’d prefer Grier or even Jackson here, but I think they’re much higher on Finley.

4.8. Darius Slayton, WR, Auburn

Slayton is a burner and fantastic deep threat – has great speed and acceleration. Needs to work on his route running a bit and high-pointing the ball however. Could easily push Ross out of a job in Cincy – a guy I really like and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a day 2 pick. High upside guy.

5.11 Cortez Broughton, DT, Cincinnati

Bengals are likely to be looking at defensive linemen in this draft (truthfully, it would be a bit of a surprise if the first they take comes in the 5th round) and here’s a local guy. Boughton had a nice senior season with 17.5 TFL. Has very good initial quickness and has some burst; his technique is hit or miss. Adds depth to a position that needs it, and could potentially see some snaps as a rookie.

6.10 Derick Roberson, DE, Sam Houston St.

Originally a 4 star recruit in high school who began his career at Texas, Roberson transferred to Sam Houston and had a superb senior season with 15 sacks. Has a very good first step and violent hands. Has good length as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go in the 4th or 5th. High risk, high reward pick (these are the kinds of picks I like in the 6th round).

6.25 Dax Raymond, TE, Utah State

Raymond has good size and is a good athlete. Good YAC guy for a TE. Gives good effort as a run blocker. Route running needs work. Needs some time to develop but one of my favorite day 3 TEs.

6.37 Sione Takitaki, LB, BYU

Tough LB who doesn’t shy away from contact. Has some relatively minor character concerns. Plays with great effort and speed, but his technique needs work. Adds depth to a position that needs it.

6.38 Jordan Scarlett, RB, Florida

Bengals are likely to draft a RB at some point on day 3 given Walton being booted from the team; hopefully they wait until the 6th round to do it. Another guy with some character concerns (missed 2017 due to suspension), Scarlett has more than enough speed and is a tough runner. Not a great receiver out of the backfield but given how strong Mixon and Gio are in these areas, I don’t see it as much of a big deal. He adds depth and can likely contribute on special teams.

6.40 Tyre Brady, WR, Marshall

Tall WR who has good length, acceleration, and ball skills. Did not run a good 40 at his pro day. Like many guys who will get drafted in this area, has several areas he needs to work on. Needs to refine his route running. I like him as a practice squad guy who can develop.

7.9 Tyree Kinnel, S, Michigan

Physical safety prospect who plays well vs the run and on special teams. Athletic for the position but doesn’t flash much vs the pass. Was a captain at Michigan.

For the record, assuming no trades, this is an A- draft for me... which means it won't happen, of course. 

Edited by Hokie

Sounds like we are going to have to hope for multiple QB's in the top 10 to have one of the Devin's fall to us.  I hope it happens, i'd be happy with either.

42 for Scharping seems a little rich, but I wouldn't hate it, he's a prospect I like and taking him there essentially guarantees we get him.

Really don't like Finley in rd 3.  There is too much talent left at 72 to take what is most likely a long term back up QB, and that's if things work out well. 

Slayton is a high upside guy, but his floor is pretty low as well.  He's kind of like Parris Campbell.  Has the speed to be a deep threat, but I don't think the ball tracking skills are there.

I don't see TakiTaki being there in rd 6 at all, let alone the end of rd 6