Post cromartie mock

LoganF89

CUTS

Mason Foster save 4 mill

Vernon Davis save 5 mill

Christ Thompson save 2 mill

CONCLUSION- I love Thompson as much as anyone but he’s just proven he can’t stay healthy and we could look for a replacement in the draft as well as for Vernon and  Mason. Should save a total of 11 mill

FA

Juston Hosuston OLB- 2 year deal worth up to 18 mill, this is basically a prove it deal that can be voided after year 1, with all of our needs we can’t draft to cure them all, he looks matched with Kerrigan 

Jonathen Cooper- resigns

Arie kuandjio- resigns vet min

DRAFT

TRADE-Oakland trades 24 and 27 to move up to pick 15 and selects Clelin Ferrell OLB from Clemson to pair with their first pick Quinnen Williams. Oakland does this trade because of the run on Edge rushers and Carolina setting at 16. Oakland also gets our 2nd pick in the 5th round

1)24-Dieonte Thompson S Alabama- Landon’s new running mate. High motor with good coverage skills

1)27-Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State-potential number 1 reciever skills, big and fast!

2)46-Mack Wilson ILB Alabama-reuban and Wilson will hold down the ILB for years. Both can play run and cover TE and RBs

3)76-Jace Sternberger TE Texas A&M-can block and catch, he can be a guy that if Jordan can’t stay healthy he can be replaced

3)96-Connor McGovern OG Penn St-finally we have our new starting OG

5)153-Michael Dieter OT Wisconsin-with the loss of Nsekhe we need completion and depth, hopefully Christian steps up but dieter can def play

6)206-Travis Homer RB Miami-Thompson’s replacement. He killed the combine and once AP hangs them up a combo of him and guide is a good thing

7)227-Christian Miller OLB Alabama-Depth signing at OLB, maybe Ryan Anderson will realize he needs to step up

7)Clayton Thorson QB Northwestern- developmental QB, when we finally draft our QB of the future and cut ties with Alex and colt I see him as being a great number 2 guy

DEPTH

QB Keenum/McCoy/Thorson

RB Guice/Peterson/Homer

WR Butler/Sims/Quinn/Doctson/Davis

TE Reed/Sternberger/Sprinkle

LT Williams/Christian

LG McGovern/Cooper

OC Rollier

RG Scherref/Kuandjio

RT Moses/Dieter

DE Allen/Brantley

NT Payne/Settle

DE Ioaniddis/UDFA

OLB Kerrigan/Miller

ILB Foster/Wilson/SDH/JHC

OLB Houston/Anderson

CB Norman/Moreau/Alexander

CB Dunbar/DRC/Stroman

FS Thompson/Nicholson/Apke

SS Collins/Everett

just a rough depth chart but I feel we fill a lot of needs and with quality players, I think case beats out McCoy and that honestly this team may compete. A lot of inexperience at WR but I feel Butler can be a monster for us and that Cam Sims and trey Quinn prove to be absolute steals for us as well!

I don't understand the title of this mock - Post Cromartie?? Did we sign someone... I can't find anything.

I love both Hakeem Butler and Connor McGovern. I haven't seen Butler in the first round but I wouldn't mind. He's an absolute freak athletically and his play on the field is great too.. McGovern has Center/Guard flexibility. I know the team likes to have their left guard be able to pull so we'll see. But he's underrated in this draft and with our 2nd third round pick he's great value.

Now the part I fear the team might do is draft more defensive players from Alabama just because they are from Alabama.  I don't get the hype with either Deionte Thompson or Mack Wilson.

I'm not sure about cutting Chris Thompson but you've certainly filled all the team's holes which is impressive.

14 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I don't understand the title of this mock - Post Cromartie?? Did we sign someone... I can't find anything.

I love both Hakeem Butler and Connor McGovern. I haven't seen Butler in the first round but I wouldn't mind. He's an absolute freak athletically and his play on the field is great too.. McGovern has Center/Guard flexibility. I know the team likes to have their left guard be able to pull so we'll see. But he's underrated in this draft and with our 2nd third round pick he's great value.

Now the part I fear the team might do is draft more defensive players from Alabama just because they are from Alabama.  I don't get the hype with either Deionte Thompson or Mack Wilson.

I'm not sure about cutting Chris Thompson but you've certainly filled all the team's holes which is impressive.

We signed dominique rodgers cromartie yesterday. Don’t know the deals of the contract though, he came out of retirement, but it’s also rumored he may play FS so who knows, I got him pegged as a CB right now

There’s no way we get two firsts for moving back 9 spots in the first round. I like the draft though, although I hate cutting Thompson.

I just don’t see any reason for it. We’re under the cap, he’s arguably our 2nd best playmaker on offense. If he’s gone, he’s going to be hard to replace. I just don’t know why we’d cut such a talent even if he does battle injuries most years. 

It seems to me we’d keep a back like Brandon Marshall or a guy like who you selected to be the 4th RB and his back up rather than cutting a great playmaker like Thompson.

Michael Dieter played mostly  guard/center at Wisconsin. I don’t see any way he plays OT in the pros, I don’t think he’s athletic enough to do so. Are you sure you’re not talking about David Edwards from Wisconsin instead?

Oh and another thing, I don’t see Thornson dropping past the 4th round. Almost no way in my mind he falls to the 7th. I just wonder where you’re getting that from?

I’m not a big fan of Hakeem Butler as a 1st rounder.

I just don’t see him getting open on film. They started using him on a lot of crossing routes as last season went on, and that was pretty effective. It was a nice way to take his “vertical” skills (long striding speed and exceptional length) and make them useful horizontally. But you just very rarely see him uncovering or breaking away from his defender with anything other than a straight line run. His hands are also really inconsistent — I would have liked to see a lot more dependability out of his mitts, especially since his game is so heavily based on making big plays on the rare occasions they’re there. Can’t afford drops when you might only get 3-4 open shots a game.

If they took him in the late 1st like this, I could live with it. The size, speed, and run after the catch ability are all rare and worth gambling on at some point. But it wouldn’t be my top preference, and I absolutely wouldn’t be considering him at 15. 

I don't think the Raiders are trading both of those first rounders for the 15th pick, just my opinion.  

While I don't necessarily disagree with you about cutting Thompson, he has one year left on his deal and I think they just let it expire.  

Our chance to get an impact receiver is much better if we keep the 15th pick.  

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Our chance to get an impact receiver is much better if we keep the 15th pick.  

Out of curiosity, is there any reason other than the obvious (more players available at 15 than, say, mid-20s) that you say that?

Who do you expect to be there at 15 that has a much better likelihood of being an impact receiver than players still on the board later in the 1st?

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Out of curiosity, is there any reason other than the obvious (more players available at 15 than, say, mid-20s) that you say that?

Who do you expect to be there at 15 that has a much better likelihood of being an impact receiver than players still on the board later in the 1st?

The Panthers (16), Giants (17), Steelers (20), Seahawks (21), Ravens (22) could all consider WR with their pick IMO.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The Panthers (16), Giants (17), Steelers (20), Seahawks (21), Ravens (22) could all consider WR with their pick IMO.

Entirely possible. 

I’m not sure that answers my question though. My point is that I believe the WR crop is devoid of sure-thing elite prospects, but there a lot of good to very good prospects — guys with either high ceilings or high floors, but perhaps not both. In other words, I think the #1 WR on the board is not much better than the #6 WR prospect. 

DK Metcalf

AJ Brown

Marquise Brown

Hakeem Butler

N’Keal Harry

JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Parris Campbell

Deebo Samuel

Kelvin Harmon

Riley Ridley

Everyone has a different order of these guys, but pick your top 5 guys off that list. Then compare #1 to #5. Does he really have a “much better likelihood” of being an impact WR? Metcalf compared to Butler? A.J. Brown compared to N’Keal Harry? Hollywood Brown compared to any of those others? It’s a big toss-up to me. So I’d rather have #4 or #5 on that list plus a 3rd rounder to use on a potential starter than just #1 on that list.

47 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Entirely possible. 

I’m not sure that answers my question though. My point is that I believe the WR crop is devoid of sure-thing elite prospects, but there a lot of good to very good prospects — guys with either high ceilings or high floors, but perhaps not both. In other words, I think the #1 WR on the board is not much better than the #6 WR prospect. 

DK Metcalf

AJ Brown

Marquise Brown

Hakeem Butler

N’Keal Harry

JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Parris Campbell

Deebo Samuel

Kelvin Harmon

Riley Ridley

Everyone has a different order of these guys, but pick your top 5 guys off that list. Then compare #1 to #5. Does he really have a “much better likelihood” of being an impact WR? Metcalf compared to Butler? A.J. Brown compared to N’Keal Harry? Hollywood Brown compared to any of those others? It’s a big toss-up to me. So I’d rather have #4 or #5 on that list plus a 3rd rounder to use on a potential starter than just #1 on that list.

I see your point and largely agree with it (although I want nothing to do with Metcalf). But I'm of the mind that if I'm going WR I'd rather be the one that has all 6 to choose from rather than 4 picked already and now I only have 2 to choose from.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Panthers just drafted DJ Moore last year in round 1, have Funches and drafted Curtis Samuels a few years ago to be their slot WR. I doubt they go WR in round 1.

Steelers and Giants, maybe in round 1, but not a given. They both have a few young WRs the like (Juju actually had more recs & yards last year then AB but he had less TDs) and they drafted James Washington last year in round 2. They just signed Donte Moncrief too. The Giants still have Sterling Sheppard and just signed Golden Tate.  They’ll probably both take WRs but I don’t think it’s definitely a round 1 thing. They both still need linebacker & DB help too.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Panthers just drafted DJ Moore last year in round 1, have Funches and drafted Curtis Samuels a few years ago to be their slot WR. I doubt they go WR in round 1.

Steelers and Giants, maybe in round 1, but not a given. They both have a few young WRs the like (Juju actually had more recs & yards last year then AB but he had less TDs) and they drafted James Washington last year in round 2. They just signed Donte Moncrief too. The Giants still have Sterling Sheppard and just signed Golden Tate.  They’ll probably both take WRs but I don’t think it’s definitely a round 1 thing. They both still need linebacker & DB help too.

Funchess signed with the colts on a 1 year deal

Archived