Matthew Stafford signs 5-year $135 million extension

IDOG_det

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/08/28/detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-contract-extension/531861001/

Matthew Stafford signs a 5 year extension through the 2022 season, averaging $27 million per year. This extension is the highest contract ever for a quarterback and NFL player. Stafford was spotted earlier today at practice without pads on, which we now know was to sign the contract after undergoing one final MRI to ensure a clean bill of health.

This contract appears to be a good value for the Lions on the surface, as some rumors speculated that Stafford was looking for close to $30 million per year. Do you think it was a good value?

This had to happen. Pre-Stafford Lions were awful and I'd hate to see them reach anywhere near that level (I don't think they would, with the people running the team now). 

Stafford has been one the few bright spots for the team and I'm glad they kept the franchise QB. 

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

It's not value. Is there such a thing with these salaries?

it is however the cost of doing business.

It will look like a value when Matt Ryan signs for $30-35 million a year with over $100 million guaranteed

cap3.png

If you have to use some of that cap room for next year, might as well keep your franchise QB. 

Heres hoping the play around Stafford improves, especially the run game. I'd like to improve these numbers:

Last time the Lions had a 1000 yard rusher was Reggie Bush in 2013 (with 1006), before that was 2004. 

In 103 career games for Stafford, the Lions have had 7 games with a rusher over 100 yards. 

6 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

$50 million signing bonus for Matthew Stafford, an NFL record

$92 million in guarantees, also a record I believe

Good day for Stafford, good day for this franchise

It had to get done and now there can be no distraction. Hopefully Stafford doesn't fall off his wallet and get it injured. ?

1 minute ago, EhJae said:

cap3.png

If you have to use some of that cap room for next year, might as well keep your franchise QB. 

Heres hoping the play around Stafford improves, especially the run game. I'd like to improve these numbers:

Last time the Lions had a 1000 yard rusher was Reggie Bush in 2013 (with 1006), before that was 2004. 

In 103 career games for Stafford, the Lions have had 7 games with a rusher over 100 yards. 

Is that next years projected cap space?

8 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

In that context, yes, it will appear that way.

the salaries these guys are getting is sticker shock. In the realm of NFL salaries it's what was expected, maybe even a bit less. It's just mind boggling the $$$$ involved.

It's crazy, when compared to the NBA and MLB (and the recent fight between Mayweather and McGregor), you could argue NFL players are severely underpaid.

I don't understand how anyone can be shocked or angry about this deal, as I have seen on other forums. Everyone knew a deal would get done and that Stafford would be the highest paid player until the next contract is signed. We also knew it'd be between $25 mill and $30 mill per. This falls in line exactly with what was expected. However, the things we have learned is that the Lions not only freed up roughly $5 million in cap space this season, but are projected to significant cap space next season with only a few extensions left to complete. We are in a good spot right now, and have the front office personnel to keep us trending upwards. 

I always figured it would, but am very glad it is done. I most definitely didn't want to go in to this season with his contract situation hanging around. As for the salary and cap space, Wood seems to have picked up the business of NFL contracts rather quickly and the fact that Quinn spent most of his career to this point with the premier franchise has only helped Wood in my opinion. I am excited about our front office for the first time in probably my life time. Lets go win some games now!

Archived