Matthew Stafford signs 5-year $135 million extension

IDOG_det

Thank God that they got this deal done. 

This deal looks huge right now, but wait until two years or so, when guys like Rodgers/Ryan/Newton/Cousins have all signed new contracts and Brady/Roethlisberger/Manning have retired. 

I remember everyone complaining about his last contract and how he was the highest paid QB for a minute then.  By the end of it he was the 18th highest paid QB against the cap last year.  This may not sway quite that far but will be in a similar situation in a couple years. 

I just don't understand peoples reasoning. 

Pre-Extension: Lions are going to have to pay Stafford big bucks. They only have him and a turd sandwich for a roster. They won't win, they won't make the playoffs. The team sucks. The FO sucks. The organization sucks and should tear it down and sell the team. 

Post-Extension: I don't understand how they pay him that much money. His record is atrocious. He hasn't won a playoff game despite all the talent around him every year. The FO sucks for paying him. The organization sucks for not getting him to play for pennies like Brady. They should tear it down and sell the team. 

Me: O.o

21 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I just don't understand peoples reasoning. 

Pre-Extension: Lions are going to have to pay Stafford big bucks. They only have him and a turd sandwich for a roster. They won't win, they won't make the playoffs. The team sucks. The FO sucks. The organization sucks and should tear it down and sell the team. 

Post-Extension: I don't understand how they pay him that much money. His record is atrocious. He hasn't won a playoff game despite all the talent around him every year. The FO sucks for paying him. The organization sucks for not getting him to play for pennies like Brady. They should tear it down and sell the team. 

Me: O.o

Lol.

It is rather perplexing. I had a friend text me this morning regarding the extension citing some of these same ridiculous arguments and articles (post extension). I rattled off what I know of him as a fan of the Lions. He looked up his stats and was like.. he is a stud. I should stop listening to fake news.

Obviously it is not anywhere close to all about stats, but the dude has them. And that is exactly a what non Lions fan has to go off.

Anyway; I am rather excited this deal is done.

Bold prediction; We make a trade involving Rudolph and something else to get Richardson from the Jets, now that we have $12 mil to work with post extension.

On 2017-08-28 at 11:50 PM, IDOG_det said:

It's crazy, when compared to the NBA and MLB (and the recent fight between Mayweather and McGregor), you could argue NFL players are severely underpaid.

You could but when considering roster size and the reduced gate revenue it starts to seem about right. Where the NFL players get shafted is contracts aren't fully guaranteed like other sports and salary differences so large. Regardless of sport Stafford makes a big salary.

I think all sports have ridiculous salaries with the exception of league minimum players in the NFL. I give credit to organizations like the Lions where you can still have families attend games. Ticket prices in hockey and basketball are nuts! I can take the entire family (8) to Toronto to see the Blue Jays which is a 4 hour drive and my total expense is cheaper than taking my 2 Grandsons to see a Senators game. Cathy and I drive to Detroit, stay in a hotel and my total expense is less than the Senators and we aren't even talking club seats.

Its very interesting that those who distract us are the highest paid salary employees in the world except for the odd CEO.

22 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

Lol.

It is rather perplexing. I had a friend text me this morning regarding the extension citing some of these same ridiculous arguments and articles (post extension). I rattled off what I know of him as a fan of the Lions. He looked up his stats and was like.. he is a stud. I should stop listening to fake news.

Obviously it is not anywhere close to all about stats, but the dude has them. And that is exactly a what non Lions fan has to go off.

Bold prediction; We make a trade involving Rudolph and something else to get Richardson from the Jets, now that we have $12 mil to work with post extension.

I think everyone gets locked into an opinion. Players are worth exactly what they can negotiate. There's also more than one way to build a team. 

I hope you're right about getting defensive line help.

I'm actually alright if someone wants to argue that sports players and NFL QBs are overpaid. I'm even okay if they think the Lions shouldn't have re-signed Matthew Stafford. I find fault with calling the roster trash & claiming they won't win during Stafford's contract, but then turn around and say that he's had high quality players around him at nearly every position during his tenure. Either the team is trash and devoid of talent, or the team has talent across the board and simply under performs.... but it can't be both. 

On August 29, 2017 at 10:47 PM, BarryTheBest said:

Lol.

Sheldon Richardson was just traded to the Seahawks for Jermaine Kearse and "Draft considerations". It would have been exciting to land him here in Detroit. 

Archived