Jinkies - Saints sign former Vikings G/C Nick Easton

Canadian Saint

Y’all got a good one.

hopefully for your guys sake he can stay healthy.

he really is much better than his PFF grade. 

He moves well and Linval and the rest of the D-Line guys on our team always bragged him up. 

Too much for us to battle for him with the limited cap space we have.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Y’all got a good one.

hopefully for your guys sake he can stay healthy.

he really is much better than his PFF grade. 

He moves well and Linval and the rest of the D-Line guys on our team always bragged him up. 

Too much for us to battle for him with the limited cap space we have.

We wouldn't have had the capspace either if Unger didn't retire.  

3 hours ago, Dome said:

In 2020, $6m a year might as well be $3m a year.

I don’t see this as a bad contract at all, look at how big some of the overpays were this year 

He didn't play last year....

Guys we don't know the full contract details yet. Could be heavily backloaded with minimal guarantees. Lets chalk this up as a solid signing for now until we see the full numbers. He could always move over to guard next year when Peat is gone and Tom slides into C

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’m aware. Not exactly sure how that plays into what I was saying though.

Meaning he's coming off of a major injury and that's a lot of money to give an average player coming off of a major injury.

13 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Meaning he's coming off of a major injury and that's a lot of money to give an average player coming off of a major injury.

I guess that was my point, is that I don’t personally feel like $6m is that much these days... almost like an average contract.... especially before we know the structure and guarantees, I think it’s a good signing. 

5 hours ago, Dome said:

I guess that was my point, is that I don’t personally feel like $6m is that much these days... almost like an average contract.... especially before we know the structure and guarantees, I think it’s a good signing. 

And the money we are using to pay him is what we are getting from Unger not being on the team anyways.  So it's not like it's taking away from cap space we thought we would have.

13 minutes ago, Raves said:

And the money we are using to pay him is what we are getting from Unger not being on the team anyways.  So it's not like it's taking away from cap space we thought we would have.

That’s a good point too. 

If you guys don't like Easton at $6m per, just be glad we didn't do this.

Someone said if he has to pass-block 1v1, the play is going to be broken. Yikes.

Hopefully these moves pan out for both these teams, except the Vikings. 

My biggest worry with Easton is his lack of experience playing C. I believe it was Rap who said he hasn't played C in the NFL. Before Unger, we saw how subpar C play effected Brees and the offense.

With the above in mind, allow me to put on my tinfoil hat for a bit. I wonder if we dangle Peat at the draft. I think it was Underhill who said Saints don't like giving big contracts to non-essential players so they are open to trading them first(he speculated with MT but I highly doubt that). Signing his replacement for a cheaper deal, and then trading him for picks to fill out the rest of the team might make us come out ahead in the long run. Say a 2nd and a 5th for Peat. Use a 2nd on a C and something else (with our own 2nd), and one could argue we come out ahead. Just a thought, it's probably a mental idea but it has crossed my mind.

40 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

My biggest worry with Easton is his lack of experience playing C. I believe it was Rap who said he hasn't played C in the NFL. Before Unger, we saw how subpar C play effected Brees and the offense.

With the above in mind, allow me to put on my tinfoil hat for a bit. I wonder if we dangle Peat at the draft. I think it was Underhill who said Saints don't like giving big contracts to non-essential players so they are open to trading them first(he speculated with MT but I highly doubt that). Signing his replacement for a cheaper deal, and then trading him for picks to fill out the rest of the team might make us come out ahead in the long run. Say a 2nd and a 5th for Peat. Use a 2nd on a C and something else (with our own 2nd), and one could argue we come out ahead. Just a thought, it's probably a mental idea but it has crossed my mind.

I mean, I thought about the idea of trading MT before his big contract extension that's coming up and I think he could easily fetch somewhere around the Odell trade.  Granted that would mean the Saints know Brees is retiring and would want to focus on a more run heavy offense and a stronger defense, so moving MT would be made with the intention of bolstering the defense.

Archived