What made Hue Jackson such a terrible coach?

Bolts223

It's the browns, Hue Jackson is a good coach he just got ruined by the browns curse. 

He was fantastic as the raiders HC and a decent OC for cincy, how he regressed so hard is a mystery.

57 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

It's the browns, Hue Jackson is a good coach he just got ruined by the browns curse. 

He was fantastic as the raiders HC and a decent OC for cincy, how he regressed so hard is a mystery.

Since the Browns are trending upwards, I'm cool with the cliche "It's the browns" reply, but disagree wholeheartedly that anyone but Hue deserves the blame for for his record as the Browns HC. I was excited when we first hired him and even gave him a pass of his first season going 1-15. There is absolutely no excuse for going 0-16 with the 2017 Browns. Hue just plain sucks as a HC and still managed to convince, surprisingly quite a few people, that he is decent.

Kizer was not ready, and may never be ready, but when you have a HC who is calling plays for the offense and refuses to work to the players strengths; that's all on the HC. Hue was low key toxic and had no problems, I even believe he enjoys it, throwing staffing personnel and players under the bus. The only player Hue was too scared to throw under the bus was Joe Thomas. 

Hue sucked as a head coach because he simply refused to adjust or game plan. He wanted to win relying on pure talent, which prior to the 2018 season the Browns were definitely lacking, but the close games we lost was because Hue couldn't adjust or manage the clock. I won't completely hate on the guy and say he might still be good as a coordinator with established talent; but do not make the man a HC or rely on him developing young players.

Combine a bad head coach with a bad team without a QB to generate extra wine and you get an historically bad team, or a squad that gets close to that anyway. 

I don’t think Hue Jackson was any worse of a coach than say, Vance Joseph.  Jackson was just a case of combining a lot of bad together. 

It’s like if you put Blake Bortles on the 09 Rams.  Bortles sucks, but he’s not the worst ever (or at least no more suckish than a lot of other guys).  He’d surely look like it on that team though.

20 minutes ago, Onizuka said:

Since the Browns are trending upwards, I'm cool with the cliche "It's the browns" reply, but disagree wholeheartedly that anyone but Hue deserves the blame for for his record as the Browns HC. I was excited when we first hired him and even gave him a pass of his first season going 1-15. There is absolutely no excuse for going 0-16 with the 2017 Browns. Hue just plain sucks as a HC and still managed to convince, surprisingly quite a few people, that he is decent.

Kizer was not ready, and may never be ready, but when you have a HC who is calling plays for the offense and refuses to work to the players strengths; that's all on the HC. Hue was low key toxic and had no problems, I even believe he enjoys it, throwing staffing personnel and players under the bus. The only player Hue was too scared to throw under the bus was Joe Thomas. 

Hue sucked as a head coach because he simply refused to adjust or game plan. He wanted to win relying on pure talent, which prior to the 2018 season the Browns were definitely lacking, but the close games we lost was because Hue couldn't adjust or manage the clock. I won't completely hate on the guy and say he might still be good as a coordinator with established talent; but do not make the man a HC or rely on him developing young players.

Pretty spot on. Hue prides himself on sticking to his guns no matter what even if it's not working at all.Obviously he is terrible as far as passing blame along and making excuses but that isn't really game coaching although it may make players not want to play for you. He could coach the KC offense but I always thought he was overrated as an offensive coordinator even though he never really had a QB to work with. The bad QBs he did have played at or near their worst with Hue. He got out of Flacco what Flacco always was and he got 1 good season out of Dalton but probably more of a coincidence than anything with his track record.

I wouldn't hire him for any position because of his personality but ignoring that I probably wouldn't hire him to coach any of my players no matter what position he held. Too flawed to coach in this era and be successful.

2 hours ago, Onizuka said:

This is a little surprising to me as whilst with the Raiders, specifically as the OC he did exactly that, tailored the plays and calls to suit players strengths notably the one dimensional Darren McFadden who had a great break out year with hue as OC. I think Hue is a good OC and a good offensive minded coach but I think he probably lets his ego get in the way when he's sitting at the top of the tree, seems to me like a guy who does things off the cuff and is not really disciplined the way a HC should be. 

Hue was very well liked when he was with Baltimore and we were not happy to see him go to the Raiders. There he took a team with little talent to 8-8 I think, and he was well liked in the locker room.

He did an outstanding job in Cincinatti, and then he went to the Browns and everything seems to go completely downhill.

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Combine a bad head coach with a bad team without a QB to generate extra wine and you get an historically bad team, or a squad that gets close to that anyway. 

I don’t think Hue Jackson was any worse of a coach than say, Vance Joseph.  Jackson was just a case of combining a lot of bad together. 

It’s like if you put Blake Bortles on the 09 Rams.  Bortles sucks, but he’s not the worst ever (or at least no more suckish than a lot of other guys).  He’d surely look like it on that team though.

And what do those two have in common?  Branches on the Marvin Lewis tree. @Onizuka just described Marvin Lewis spot on.

6 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

If he was fantastic with the raiders why was he fired?

No one was expecting Hue to lead this team to 5+ wins a year his first couple years. 

Coaches add value or take away value. Hue never added anything to the team. The browns rosters in ‘16 and ‘17 weren’t good at all but they were better than. 1-31. Hue was way too hard headed. The Browns organization didn’t force him to not hire an OC. They made him hire one for ‘18. The dude was god awful with game management and clock management. He had no idea how to handle the QBs he had. Worst thing he never adopted his scheme to his players. Make adjustments to put your players in the best position possible, he didn’t. 

You watch hard knocks and you see how cluesless he was and how hard headed he was. He wanted to be the sole reason there would success for the Browns. He had no problem throwing players and coaches under the bus. 

Why did the browns turn it around when Hue was suddenly fired? It’s becauae he was a garbage coach and was fake. 

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Hue was very well liked when he was with Baltimore and we were not happy to see him go to the Raiders. There he took a team with little talent to 8-8 I think, and he was well liked in the locker room.

He did an outstanding job in Cincinatti, and then he went to the Browns and everything seems to go completely downhill.

Y’all should hire him back.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Yep, he was well liked as an OC and was quite unconventional and particularly good and finding ways to use the average talent he was working with. Of course after Al passed and he became the HC when Cable was fired I think the power went to his head and he traded away a couple firsts for Carson Palmer and made a few head scratching decisions. I think his personality clashed somewhat as a HC when he was able to get away with it as a 'quirky' OC. A lot of guys were sad to see Reggie get rid of him when he became GM but I think he's one of these guys that just don't suit the top job. 

Archived