What made Hue Jackson such a terrible coach?

Bolts223

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, he was well liked as an OC and was quite unconventional and particularly good and finding ways to use the average talent he was working with. Of course after Al passed and he became the HC when Cable was fired I think the power went to his head and he traded away a couple firsts for Carson Palmer and made a few head scratching decisions. I think his personality clashed somewhat as a HC when he was able to get away with it as a 'quirky' OC. A lot of guys were sad to see Reggie get rid of him when he became GM but I think he's one of these guys that just don't suit the top job. 

Yeah when you try and trade a 2nd and a 3rd for McCarron, you have no idea what you are doing as a HC...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tom cody said:

It was surprising. Jackson, I always thought, was a solid coach. Guess a lot of factors played into how bad he was with the Browns.

he was a liar who took no part of responsibility for the teams failures.  he was childish - when they hired haley to be OC he didn't plan to learn his offense so he could throw Haley under the bus when it didnt work by saying he was "hands off".

just a bad leader.

All I know is I have never seen a head coach with less humility than Hue Jackson.  I don't know the Xs and Os of how he failed as a head coach, but I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it given how I've also never seen players of a former coach so vocally bitter towards their ex coach. 

• Like 3

To me what made him a bad coach was a quote he gave when talking about how much he liked the John Dorsey signing.

"Its not about picking the best players available for the Cleveland Browns.  Its about picking the best players that fit the coaches talents"

I don't know if he adjusted his offense before with Cincinnati, or Oakland, I didn't watch enough of their games, but I know in Cleveland he CONSTANTLY tried to fit square pegs into round holes.

Example, the front office drafted Kizer, told hue he needed at least a year to learn because he was so raw, and not only did Hue play him, but he tried to run complicated deep routes that took forever to develop and expected Kizer to be able to read the defensive line and move in the pocket like a seasoned veteran.  He didn't want to continue with Kessler because he wanted to play with a QB who could throw deep, but he never had the time or players to run that system.

He could be a good coach in the right sysem, with "players that fit his talents", but a good head coach in the NFL should be able to fit the system to the player, not the other way around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, he was well liked as an OC and was quite unconventional and particularly good and finding ways to use the average talent he was working with. Of course after Al passed and he became the HC when Cable was fired I think the power went to his head and he traded away a couple firsts for Carson Palmer and made a few head scratching decisions. I think his personality clashed somewhat as a HC when he was able to get away with it as a 'quirky' OC. A lot of guys were sad to see Reggie get rid of him when he became GM but I think he's one of these guys that just don't suit the top job. 

It certainly seems like he fits as a coordinator but not as an overall team leader. He might be a coach who doesn't command natural respect. In hindsigt, there was something left in Palmer when the Raiders traded for him, but it took Arians to get great play out of him, when he brougt Palmer to the Cardinals.

19 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

To me what made him a bad coach was a quote he gave when talking about how much he liked the John Dorsey signing.

"Its not about picking the best players available for the Cleveland Browns.  Its about picking the best players that fit the coaches talents"

I don't know if he adjusted his offense before with Cincinnati, or Oakland, I didn't watch enough of their games, but I know in Cleveland he CONSTANTLY tried to fit square pegs into round holes.

Example, the front office drafted Kizer, told hue he needed at least a year to learn because he was so raw, and not only did Hue play him, but he tried to run complicated deep routes that took forever to develop and expected Kizer to be able to read the defensive line and move in the pocket like a seasoned veteran.  He didn't want to continue with Kessler because he wanted to play with a QB who could throw deep, but he never had the time or players to run that system.

He could be a good coach in the right sysem, with "players that fit his talents", but a good head coach in the NFL should be able to fit the system to the player, not the other way around.

I think he did a much better job year one of tailoring scheme to talent.  

12 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

It's the browns, Hue Jackson is a good coach he just got ruined by the browns curse. 

He was fantastic as the raiders HC and a decent OC for cincy, how he regressed so hard is a mystery.

Congrats on a fantastically dumb post, so its the Browns fault that he calls flea flickers on his own 2 yard line into triple coverage? Was it the Browns fault for horrendously dumb challenges? Was it the Browns fault for going 5 wide on the goalline with a rookie QB and throwing instead of doing the obvious (Deshone Kizer)? Tried to desperately trade a 2nd and a 3rd which would have been Nick Chubb and Chad Thomas and thankfully Sashi Brown messed up the trade on purpose, How he regressed is right in front of your face, he was a fraud.

Congrats

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

Ugh. This thread is making me think the Browns made a big mistake firing Hue. It sounds like a lot of posters would love to have Hue as HC. After what the Browns did to Hue, there is no way he is going back to Cleveland. Year three could have been all-time. Watch Hue get hired as the next Steelers HC. Ugh.

I'M GONNA SAY IT NOW SO Y'ALL WON'T THINK I'M A BANDWAGON GUY: BRING HUE TO PITTSBURGH!

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Congrats on a fantastically dumb post, so its the Browns fault that he calls flea flickers on his own 2 yard line into triple coverage? Was it the Browns fault for horrendously dumb challenges? Was it the Browns fault for going 5 wide on the goalline with a rookie QB and throwing instead of doing the obvious (Deshone Kizer)? Tried to desperately trade a 2nd and a 3rd which would have been Nick Chubb and Chad Thomas and thankfully Sashi Brown messed up the trade on purpose, How he regressed is right in front of your face, he was a fraud.

Congrats

No coach is perfect, but when your GM is sashi brown/whoever. 

33 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

No coach is perfect, but when your GM is sashi brown/whoever

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How about when it was John Dorsey?  

He had half a season this year to show something.  He didn’t.  Other than his abilty to alienate the rookie QB of course.

Try reading for comprehension. This was already covered. Next!

• Like 2