2019 Contract Discussion

BlaZeN37

Let’s start with Daryl Roberts. I was a little skeptical after hearing the Jets were giving him a 3 year $18M deal. It actually ended up being a very team friendly contract:

‘19 - $4.5M Cap Hit w/ $4M guaranteed

‘20 - $6M Cap Hit w/ $0 guaranteed 

‘21 - $7.5M Cap Hit w/ $0 guaranteed 

In essence its a 1 year deal worth $4.5M. I’m sure Roberts will be given the opportunity to win the #2 corner spot. If he is unable to fill that role adequately the Jets can move on after this year with $0 dead money. However, if he wins that spot and plays well the Jets will have their #2 corner locked up for cheap over the next 3 years.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I find it odd we haven't spent the remaining 35mill we can with still having plenty for the draft still. We shouldn't be penny pinching at all.

It wouldn’t shock me if Macc is trying to save some cap for next offseason. The Jets aren’t winning the Super Bowl in 2019. If they make the expected jump to playoff contender this season then they can use next year to bring in pieces to put them over the top.

My hope for this offseason is that they can get Ansah on a 1 year prove it deal.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I find it odd we haven't spent the remaining 35mill we can with still having plenty for the draft still. We shouldn't be penny pinching at all.

I honestly don't think he's penny-pinching, I think he's waiting for the other 2 waves of free agency. I was concerned as well at one point. 

Just now, rickyt31 said:

I honestly don't think he's penny-pinching, I think he's waiting for the other 2 waves of free agency. I was concerned as well at one point. 

Im not concerned. I just think with players that could help the team still out there he should be in that market.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Im not concerned. I just think with players that could help the team still out there he should be in that market.

You're not wrong, but I can see why Macc is waiting. More options will hit the market after teams get their draft prospects and more options will be added after vets get beat in preseason. There aren't too many names out there at the moment. Outside of Barr, we really landed everyone we were attached to. 

11 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

In regards to our 35 mill I can see us waiting for certain players to be cut I.e. Robert Quinn, Dre Kirkpatrick...ect

I think this is it. Macc is just being patient and waiting for players they truly want.

He is probably being influenced by Gase. Gase talked a lot about not rushing the process of building his coaching staff. Jets seem to be using a similar philosophy 

Henry Anderson’s contract details are out...

3 years $25M w/ $17M guaranteed 

‘19 - $7.3M Cap Hit w/ $13M guaranteed 

‘20 - $8.3M Cap Hit w/ $7M guaranteed 

‘21 - $9.5M Cap Hit w/ $0 guaranteed

Yet another contract without a signing bonus, making this contract a 2 year $15.5M deal. I’m sure he had a healthy market so I don’t mind it. That’s starter money though not rotational linemen money. Not sure how the Jets can justify taking Quinnen Williams at 3 if they have any plans on re-signing Leonard Williams. 

On 3/18/2019 at 1:00 PM, Bobby816 said:

There's no reason to spend all the money if we don't have to. It gets rolled over to next year, meaning we can sign another 2-3 big-named players next year. Why bust it all on players this year if they're not worthy of it?

What I do expect to happen: sign a bunch of 1 year deals, which is what we're starting to see now. A lot of these vets may have to wait until after the draft to sign, which is where I see us being most active. 

8 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

There's no reason to spend all the money if we don't have to. It gets rolled over to next year, meaning we can sign another 2-3 big-named players next year. Why bust it all on players this year if they're not worthy of it?

What I do expect to happen: sign a bunch of 1 year deals, which is what we're starting to see now. A lot of these vets may have to wait until after the draft to sign, which is where I see us being most active. 

Everyone keeps talking about Justin Houston, but he will probably get more then a 1 year deal. I’d rather sign Ezekiel Ansah to a 1 year deal, which is probably what he will be forced to take.

Not sure why we aren’t talking about him at all.

13 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Yet another contract without a signing bonus, making this contract a 2 year $15.5M deal. I’m sure he had a healthy market so I don’t mind it. That’s starter money though not rotational linemen money. Not sure how the Jets can justify taking Quinnen Williams at 3 if they have any plans on re-signing Leonard Williams. 

While I agree in part, this isn't the kind of groundbreaking contract that would preclude the Jets from taking him if they thought he was the clear BPA. $7.5 million is a nickel rusher nowadays. 

Remember, we once drafted Leonard Williams even when Sheldon and Mo were at the top of their games. 

15 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Macc drafted Leo with Mo, Sheldon and Snacks all here. I don’t put anything past him.

Archived