Re-signings

S Deandre Houston-Carson 1 year 850k/250k guaranteed

P Pat O'Donnell 1 year 1.5 million/250k guaranteed

LS Pat Scales 1 year 950k/250k guaranteed

Free Agents

OLB Bruce Irvin [Atlanta] 1 year 5 million/4 guaranteed

*100k/sack
*50K/per game active

Still and explosive athlete and still able to get to the QB after getting 6.5 sacks last season. He is close to Khalil Mack and coming to Chicago gives him a chance at a ring, a chance to re-unite with his friend, and to earn a solid pay check. By putting incentives in the deal Irvin can earn as much or more than Suggs and the Bears can keep some of the cap hit next season where the incentives would count.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOi1_DXoVFkNlW848Js_a

Draft

3[87] CB Justin Layne [Michigan St] 6'2" 192lbs, 4.5 [40], 37.5" vert, 11'2"broad

The Bears need a starting CB in 2020 and they need him to be making far less than Prince. Money needs to be shifted to Whitehair, Jackson, and Cohen. The Bears need to add another young athletic option to compete with Tolliver to replace Prince and be the primary backup outside in 2019. Layne has a lot of similar physical tools to Tolliver, he is big, long, and an explosive athlete. He has the size and movement skills to play in a press man system and allow the Bears to blitz while disurpting the route. Layne had 15 passes defensed and 1 interception last season, his 2nd as a CB after switching from WR. Layne is still raw and their is untapped upside here. When you are competing for a championship you cannot run out of CBs.

college-football-michigan-state-vs-iowa-

4[126] S Mike Edwards [Kentucky] 5'11" 205lbs.

The Bears are going to need a starting safety in 2020 because if HHCD plays well he will easily price himself out of Chicago. Ideally, the guy playing next to Eddie Jackson will be on a cheap rookie deal. Edwards has the ability to play FS, at Kentucky he had 23 passes defensed and 10 career interceptions. By having a player with his coverage ability it allows the Bears to not have to change up the defense if Jackson or HHCD are injured in 2019 and it gives them a similar player to HHCD to replace him in 2020. 

Mike+Edwards+Kentucky+v+South+Carolina+V

5[162] RB Devine Ozigbo [Nebraska] 6' 233lbs, 4.53 [40], 37" vert, 10'4" broad

I am not sure if there is going to be a market for Howard strong enough to trade him. He is coming off his worst year, his salary tripled, and I am not interested in giving him away for some late round pick. The Bears however need to think about replacing him for 2020, or even in 2019 if Ozigbo really hits the ground running. Ozigbo has the size that Howard has with significantly more explosion and big play potential. Last season Ozigbo averaged 7 yards per carry, had carries of 35, 37, 59, and 66. He also added 23 receptions. The Bears can develop the ultra athletic Ozigbo, while Howard, Davis and Cohen handle the load for 2019. But if the Bears want a RBBC and they need someone to be the big body with some break away ability then Ozigbo is a nice fit.

jxlxytwumclxewgczey9

7[222] OG Phil Haynes [Wake Forest] 6'4" 322lbs, 33.5" arms, 5.2 [40], 33 reps, 31" vert, 9'2" broad

The Bears need a starting RG in 2020 as Long's deal is really just a one year deal. The Bears also need to start getting some people who can move people in the power run game, which they struggled at last season. Haynes is a big, long armed, people mover. He is a physically imposing player that thrives in the power run game and in putting people on their backs. Haynes gets a year with Heistand to develop and compete with Coward at RG in 2020.

p-505x400.jpg

7[238] TE Drew Sample [Washington] 6'5" 255lbs, 4.71 [40], 33.5" vert, 9'7" broad

The Bears need Adam Shaheen to stay healthy and step up. At this point he is a blocking only TE and no where near the receiving threat that the Bears sold him as at draft time. Not having a 2nd receiving threat at TE left the offense out of sorts against the Eagles. Sample has not done a lot as a receiver and was not a big part of Washington's passing game, but he has the size and athletic ability to be developed into something. Sample had a solid week at the Senior Bowl and at least gives the Bears another option a long with Braunecker if Shaheen continues to be useless in the passing game.

6XQKCLHVM5DVXKU3DTBKL76OL4.jpg

UDFA

P Zach Sinor [OK St] 6'1" 210lbs.

We know that O'Donnell is a mediocre punter and in the biggest moment last season he wasn't good, so the Bears are going to need some cheap competition for him. Sinor comes in and competes during the summer. Ideally, he takes the job and we can save a million dollars.

5b69f518bbcea.image.jpg?resize=400%2C312

K Matt Gay [Utah] 6' 230lbs.

Big leg and has kicked in some bad weather in Utah. He comes in to compete with Redford Jones with the other potentially going to the PR in case the other struggles and to provide season long competition.

7935796.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel
RB: Howard, Davis, Cohen, Mizzell
WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Patterson, Wims, Hall
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Sample
LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Daniels
C: Whitehair, Larsen
RG: Long, Haynes
RT: Massie, Coward
RE: RRH, Bullard
NT: Goldman, Nichols
LE: Hicks, Williams
OLB: Floyd, Irving, Fitts
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Kwitkowski
OLB: Mack, Irvin
CB: Fuller, Prince, Skrine, Layne, Tolliver, McManis
FS: Jackson, Edwards, DHC
SS: Clinton-Dix, Bush

K: Gay/Jones
P: O'Donnell/Sinor
LS: Scales

I'm good with those to bring back and I'd be very happy with Irvin maybe even on a 2 year deal to spread some costs out and give us more time to find a younger Edge Rusher.  He's still getting pressures and sacks and partnering him with Mack could really help his game.  He was a guy I was interested in drafting long ago and he's been a solid player.

Can't comment on the draft much except to say Ozigbo has begun to show up in other mocks as well as both Edwards and Savage as Safeties.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

CB & S are needs but at this point I would rather add a OLB as early as possible even if we did pick up at guy like Irvin...

Also just can't see a way Howard isn't traded at some point.

I don’t think there is the market we want for Howard and I am not just releasing him.

The 3rd round OLB isn’t going to play and is blocked from ever really playing in the future. I think that 3rd OLB spot should have veterans roll through on one year deals until Irving or Fitts show something.

Also, not a great edge class outside of rounds 1 and 2. Maybe if Christian Miller fell.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think there is the market we want for Howard and I am not just releasing him.

The 3rd round OLB isn’t going to play and is blocked from ever really playing in the future. I think that 3rd OLB spot should have veterans roll through on one year deals until Irving or Fitts show something.

Also, not a great edge class outside of rounds 1 and 2. Maybe if Christian Miller fell.

I would disagree with that...there are a lot of quality OLBs in this draft...Miller could be there as he is a bit one dimensional...Polite could be there after his combine interviews...Walker & Winovich would fit the "dirty work" OLB mold for Pagano...Banogu has a ton of upside...

In terms of Howard I think we could fairly easily get a 5th for him...teams like the Raiders or Bucs would surely see the value in that.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Exactly the same conversation I was having with malagabear.

I don't believe any mid round rookie OLB can come in and handle being a 3rd OLB year one and neither Irving or Fitts appear to be up to being that guy yet either.  I'm all for bringing in a vet on a one year or two year deal we could slip out of after year one if it makes sense.  Bruce Irvin is one possibility among others.  I think we'll know soon enough once Pace decides who.

I'm also of the thinking Pace won't trade Howard just to trade him.  If he has value to us beyond what we're offered now hold on.  He's not gonna be any less tradeable later unless he's injured and if that happen oh well.  Just the way the ball bounced.  Come draft weekend someone may jump high enough for him and if not even if we draft a RB it should make no difference since a mid or late round pick wouldn't be likely to start anyway.

IMHO he's a card to be played however it's best we play him.

I think we should reserve judgment on Fitts for now. 

It takes a lot of guys 3 years to find their NFL footing it just doesnt get talked about. 

He showed talent to me last year in preseason even though he did nothing in season.  He might end up being a good rotation player this year or next year.

On my list of guys who could surprise people. Not predicting it, but its not crazy either.  He is physically talented.  

Archived