Kerry Hyder - DL

Texas_OutLaw7

Decent replacement for Gregory. It’s not an upgrade but a good replacement. If we want stability at that position, here it is. He had what, an 8 sack season in 2016? If he can (!) return to that form, under Marinelli and Richards he should thrive pretty good. 

I had a big write up about this guy that got erased so I'll try to make it short. 

Not a household name, but I've basically been reading about this guy all my life. We are almost exactly 4 years apart down to the day. I don't know him personally but he is from Austin and his team won a big basketball tournament here in Bastrop as a kid. Then I moved to west texas, but both of us ended up at Texas Tech despite growing up as Longhorn fans. I was a little older, so I left Texas Tech first. And now he is signing with my favorite professional team. I can't get away from this guy.

I was proud of him in 2016 when he was basically the breakout defensive player of the year. He tore his Achilles in 2017, and wasn't the same in 2018 playing in a 3-4 scheme. 2016 he was a strong side DE in a 4-3.

He has a professional pedigree with his cousin being CB Chris Houston. And that professionalism, work ethic, hand usage, and motor are how he thrives. So of course Rod likes an undersized DT/DE with a motor. 

He not only has family who played NFL but his wife is an Olympic caliber track athlete. He has been able to do whatever he wants with his body. He played RB in highscool at 200 pounds. Was an UDFA practice squad DT at 300 pounds, and then had an 8 sack season at LDE weighing 265 pounds. Pretty impressive that he can seemingly mold his body to fit wherever and has the discipline to do it.

It'll be interesting to see where Rod lines him up, but it'll be nice to have him back in a 4-3. Maybe he can be our 4 to 8 sack a year rotational DL that can line up anywhere on the line.

"You look out there and see 61, that’s not always a defensive end number,” Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said upon scouting Hyder’s tape before their Week 3 matchup. “I can’t think of another guy wearing that number, but a high-effort player, he’s making a lot of plays… Obviously, he never became a victim of his circumstances. He definitely must have a great work ethic and a lot of confidence because he’s really made himself into a solid player.”

Three days after Rodgers gushed that praise, Hyder sacked him."

Archived