Blake Bortles signing with Rams

49erurtaza

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Do the Rams have a QB competition moving forward? Career points scored in a Super Bowl:

Blake Bortles - 0
Jared Goff - 3

Or what about Bortles as a weapon out of the backfield? Career receiving yards in a Super Bowl:

Blake Bortles - 0
Todd Gurley - -1

Troll game 10/10. Well done sir, well done.

7 hours ago, JonStark said:

Bringing up Nick Mullens is kind of... random? Not sure what he has anything to do with Bortles or the Rams.

The point I was making is that just because a guy is a former top 5 pick that it doesn't mean he is a good backup. There are a lot of other backups out there I would rather have than a guy who has no confidence and has severe, uncorrectable accuracy issues. 

That's what we are talking about here, backup QBs. Is it unfair to compare one backup QB to another backup QB in the same division? I think not. 

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Eh, no, it is far from that simple. When things are good around Bortles, he's a significantly better QB than Mullens. 

I alluded to the 'higher upside' in my original post: 

I dont care if Bortles has better physical tools and therefore more upside, because if you arent accurate with your ball placement, then you arent going to be successful in the NFL. Its a mandatory requirement and Bortles doesnt have it.

Nick Mullens is a limited QB because his arm is on the edge of not being NFL quality. He isn't big, strong, and fast like bortles is. The point I am making is that I would rather have a guy who always prepares like the starter even when he is on the practice squad and that being a backup requires a strong mental makeup. I am not sure if Bortles has the right mindset to be a really good backup, but we will see I guess. 

The hitch in the windup that Bortles has is really, really bad. I did not come to this conclusion yesterday when he signed with the rams. the team he plays for has no bearing on my opinion of him as a player. 

But hey, if McVay can get another bad QB in Goff to look like a good player then he might be able to salvage Bortles career as well :P

(joking about the last line but the rest of my post is serious)

I hope he finds some success there.  He was such a likeable dude.  Seems like he's got the durability and demeanor in the room to be a great backup.  But he's just such a fundamentally slow and inaccurate passer.  He just doesn't throw the football well or with any semblance of timing, and it's hard to see how that's going to work out great in a precision offense like McVay's.  I guess we'll see...Or...really, probably won't see, outside of preseason.

Seems like this draft is full of Day 2-3 guys who would've been nice projects for McVay to work with instead.  But i guess they'll need those picks to fill out depth elsewhere on the roster.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I hope he finds some success there.  He was such a likeable dude.  Seems like he's got the durability and demeanor in the room to be a great backup.  But he's just such a fundamentally slow and inaccurate passer.  He just doesn't throw the football well or with any semblance of timing, and it's hard to see how that's going to work out great in a precision offense like McVay's.  I guess we'll see...Or...really, probably won't see, outside of preseason.

Seems like this draft is full of Day 2-3 guys who would've been nice projects for McVay to work with instead.  But i guess they'll need those picks to fill out depth elsewhere on the roster.

It's a one year deal. They might still grab one. I love the idea of drafting Easton Stick. My guess is that McVay/Snead hope to rehab his value and then cash in on a comp pick.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

It's a one year deal. They might still grab one. I love the idea of drafting Easton Stick. My guess is that McVay/Snead hope to rehab his value and then cash in on a comp pick.

It's possible i suppose.  Would they carry 3 QBs though, with a durable and experienced vet like Bortles as QB2?  I guess there's also praying to slip a guy through for the PS stash and develop.

Easton Stick would make sense, and probably a guy you can grab late enough to slip through to the practice squad like that.  The Shrine game kinda raised some questions for me on how he'll step up multiple levels of competition, but he's the right type of guy to run that offense for sure.  Maybe even the same for Gardner Minshew who seems like he'd thrive in a system like that.

I'd love to see what Brett Rypien could do in McVay's system though.  That'd be slick.  He's got all the accuracy, touch, and timing Bortles naturally seems to lack.

I'll laugh if they do somehow rehabilitate Bortles "value" in someone's eyes, enough to actually milk a significant comp pick out of it.  I think he's been given plenty of run out to see if he can be a guy a team counts on and come up short.  But dumb stuff happens all the time, and i guess every little bit helps.  If they can get anything out of it, that's fine.  And they do get a really likeable backup with oodles of starter experience in the meantime.

Archived