Blake Bortles signs w/ Rams

RamRod

A lot of Rams fans on Twitter hate this move. I can't understand why (assuming the money isn't too high). We've been missing a capable backup for a while now and while Bortles isn't a top QB, he's probably one of the best back ups in the league.

I like it. Waiting to hear the compensation before I say I like it alot. I agree we need a competent back up while we are on this run, but it scares me because when you plan for it, the injuries seem to happen. All psycosematic, but interesting to me. 

I'm curious if McVay is going to take this as a project to coach up in Pre-season, show off in every-preseascon, maybe put in Blake when we're blowing out a few teams in the 4th and then flip for a 3rd at the trade deadline or something. Belicheck has done that with Brissett and Mallet so it would be interesting to see us follow that approach.

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I like it. Waiting to hear the compensation before I say I like it alot. I agree we need a competent back up while we are on this run, but it scares me because when you plan for it, the injuries seem to happen. All psycosematic, but interesting to me. 

I'm curious if McVay is going to take this as a project to coach up in Pre-season, show off in every-preseascon, maybe put in Blake when we're blowing out a few teams in the 4th and then flip for a 3rd at the trade deadline or something. Belicheck has done that with Brissett and Mallet so it would be interesting to see us follow that approach.

I doubt we're flipping him for a 3rd at the trade deadline.  But given the kind of scratch that a known mediocre QB who had one solid season with Minnesota got on the open market (and he didn't have the pedigree o having been a Top 10 pick, which still carries weight even after an initial bust, with playoff experience), it's not unreasonable to expect him to hit the market again next year or the year after and net us at least a high 4th round comp pick all by himself (probably a 3rd).  At worst, someone's going to likely view him as a worthwhile bridge QB in the near future once the likes of Fitzmagic, McCown, etc. retire.

I like this move! We needed another QB..one that could even give Goff a run for his $.  At this point I don't have much confidence in Goff going forward.  At least Bortles has mental toughness and doesn't crumble under pressure.  Goff is strictly a system guy, IMO. 

Archived