O'Donnell is back

beardown3231

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Way to much for a mediocre punter, I would have much rather they went with someone younger and cheaper.

$2M per year puts him 14th in terms of AAV which is about right IMO. He’s a middle of the road punter being paid as such. I agree with someone legitimately pushing him in camp though, and am curious about the scope of any guarantees in this deal. I’d be pretty surprised if there was more than a few hundred thousand in guarantees this year (i.e. easily cutable even with the new deal) and likely none beyond 2019. 

Even if it is 75% guaranteed it would be a minimal loss if he lost a competition and was cut. This isn't a big deal. I just hope Pace doesn't see him as the guy without question, we should always be looking to improve and compete for the bulk of the players.

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

$2M per year puts him 14th in terms of AAV which is about right IMO. He’s a middle of the road punter being paid as such. I agree with someone legitimately pushing him in camp though, and am curious about the scope of any guarantees in this deal. I’d be pretty surprised if there was more than a few hundred thousand in guarantees this year (i.e. easily cutable even with the new deal) and likely none beyond 2019. 

This is about where I'm at with him too.  He has a good leg and some decent directional ability but occasionally he "bozos" a punt.  I believe that as much as anything is what pushes him down.  But he seems to be well liked and fits the culture plus he's also our holder for PK/XP and he's sure handed.

Of course we should be bringing in competition.  We'd be foolish not to and have in the past.  The terms aren't public yet but I'd also agree that we aren't guaranteeing him anywhere near $4 mil.  He'll still need to produce in order to keep his job but it's also position that needed to be settled.

RT @ZimmermanSXM: Are #Bears kicking woes on hands of Pat O'Donnell? A look at Bears kickers' careers w/ POD and without him as holder:

Robbie Gould w/ POD- 42-51 82.3%, w/out- 316-357 88.5%

Connor Barth w/POD- 29-39, 74.3%, w/out- 139-164 84.8%

Cody Parkey w/POD- 23-30 76.7%, w/out- 76-88, 86.4%

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This screams "better the devil you know" Pace won't want another Parkey on his hands...at least he knows O'Donnell is solid most of the time.

I agree if a rookie legitimately beats him out then so be it, but I am fine with avoiding the unknown with guaranteed money.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree if a rookie legitimately beats him out then so be it, but I am fine with avoiding the unknown with guaranteed money.

I figure at this price only 2M or so is guaranteed. So if spread out over 2 years the hit is 1M, meh.

14 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

RT @ZimmermanSXM: Are #Bears kicking woes on hands of Pat O'Donnell? A look at Bears kickers' careers w/ POD and without him as holder:

Robbie Gould w/ POD- 42-51 82.3%, w/out- 316-357 88.5%

Connor Barth w/POD- 29-39, 74.3%, w/out- 139-164 84.8%

Cody Parkey w/POD- 23-30 76.7%, w/out- 76-88, 86.4%

Not sure I'd put a whole lot of validity into this.

Gould's FG accuracy since leaving Chicago has been nothing short of miraculous (96.5%) yet is XP accuracy is lower (91.5%).  In Chicago he was 99% on XP but only 85.4% on FGs.  O'Donnell was his holder in two of his worst year 2014-2015 which brought his average down but he's had other years almost as bad long before O'Donnell.

Barth and Parkey have both been inconsistent kickers their entire careers with good years (90s%) interlaced with bad years (70s%)

If Chris Tabor believes O'Donnell is the problem then he's got Daniel he can try.  We also haven't had a top LS since Mannelly retired.

I'm not so much defending O'Donnell as to say there are IMHO too many other variables to think he's the only cause.

Archived