Updated Mock With No Trade-Backs

Just Want A Title

Even though I think there is a strong chance we trade back to get an additional second and/or 3rd round pick, I didn't put it in this mock.  I tried to adjust based on our free agent acquisitions.  That said:

Rd 1--Clellin Farrell DE:  He is too good to pass up.

Rd 2--Parris Campbell WR:  Fast and dynamic.  He still a bit rough but you can't coach his speed and elusiveness.

Rd 3--Foster Moreau TE:  We still need to draft at least one quality TE and he should be able to shoulder the blocking TE role while adjusting to the pro passing game.

Rd 4--Sean Bunting CB:  We still need a CB to develop and he has great tools even though he went to Central Michigan.

Rd 5--Oli Udoh G/T:  A developmental player who could play G or T.  He has great size and length.  He moves fairly well.  He has a ton of potential and may not last this long.

Rd 6--Zach Gentry TE:  He has solid size and should be able to fill a #3 TE role.  I don't think Michael Roberts makes it out of camp.

Rd 6--Kyle Shurmur QB:  He has solid size and has NFL coaches in his family.  Will probably be a #2 QB.

Fire away!

I tried thinking through taking a safety in the second round but I couldn't justify adding another safety to our roster.  Quandre Diggs was a Pro Bowl alternate last year.  Tracy Walker was splitting times with Glover Quinn and was pretty effective.  We just signed Andrew Adams as a third safety.  I think Tavon Wilson is still on the roster also.  Tre Boston, who is pretty under-rated, is still sitting out there and could be signed.  It seemed like we had bigger needs in other areas.  I might be wrong about that.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I tried thinking through taking a safety in the second round but I couldn't justify adding another safety to our roster.  Quandre Diggs was a Pro Bowl alternate last year.  Tracy Walker was splitting times with Glover Quinn and was pretty effective.  We just signed Andrew Adams as a third safety.  I think Tavon Wilson is still on the roster also.  Tre Boston, who is pretty under-rated, is still sitting out there and could be signed.  It seemed like we had bigger needs in other areas.  I might be wrong about that.

Gardner-Johnson would be a good pick but I actually agree with your line of thinking. Campbell is going to be a very good player and adds a lot of speed to the offense. Marvin Jones isn't going to be on the roster for long and he should be a good receiver to pair with Kenny G.

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Even if he is, there isn't a TE that is worth the #8 overall pick.

Agree..Not one in history.. and I love me some Shannon Sharpe. Honestly I love Diggs...if he stays healthy...i dont think either of those guys will...thats when a rookie can jump in and make some plays. I just dont think any WR we draft will matter when it comes to Stafford....we had a the all time god....and you see what happens...so Stafford doesn't even deserve such a pick...Defense...Defense....Defense.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, Karnage84 said:

Even if he is, there isn't a TE that is worth the #8 overall pick.

I think your undervaluing what a TE like him can do.

He is a truly complete tight end. 

His impact on the offense, in turn the defense, could be huge.

Just signed Logan Thomas.  Gives us a year before we need to look at TE position.  It gives the Lions to see if Roberts can play.  I generally like the draft, but may want to add an O-Lineman a little earlier.  Maybe Williams at OT at #8.   I hope Campbell is there in rnd 2.

Just now, detroitroar said:

I think your undervaluing what a TE like him can do.

He is a truly complete tight end. 

His impact on the offense, in turn the defense, could be huge.

It's not that I'm undervaluing him, it's more so TE's in general (especially in Bevell offense)

1) Generally need a full season or two to develop into being effective players. A number of them are converted from other positions (a QB that is changing positions or a WR who is bulking up, etc.). They need to develop their route running, blocking, etc.

2) Usage: Assuming we're in a balanced offense, pass plays are going to be used half of the time (50/50). In the Bevell scheme, the TE usage outweighs the WR3. So let's say that he's our TE1. As a receiver, we're looking at approximately 16.5% of targets (50% of plays x 1/3 of top targets). That's on a max basis.

If we look at the TE1 usage during Bevell's time in Seattle:

2011 - Zach Miller - 25 receptions, 233 yards, 0 TD's (6th receiver on the team, 8.4% of team receptions)

2012 - Zach Miller - 38 receptions, 396 yards, 3 TD's (3rd receiver, 14.67% of team receptions)

2013 - Zach Miller - 33 receptions, 387 yards, 5 TD's (4th receiver, 12.35% of team receptions)

2014 - Luke Willson - 22 receptions, 362 yards, 3 TD's (6th receiver, 7.66 % of team receptions)

2015 - Jimmy Graham - 32 receptions, 257 yards, 2 TD's (4th receiver, 9.6% of team receptions)

2016 - Jimmy Graham - 65 receptions, 923 yards, 6 TD's (2nd receiver, 17.66% of team receptions)

2017 - Jimmy Graham - 57 receptions, 520 yards, 10 TD's (2nd receiver, 16.77% of team receptions)

The outlier in all of this is 2/3 of Jimmy Graham's seasons on the team. Otherwise the TE nets about 400 yards, 4 TD's. I'd rather get more production out of my first round pick or spend less draft capital on a guy that will have this level of impact. You can afford to let a 2nd or 3rd round guy develop where a top 10 pick HAS to be productive.

3) History: The bulk of the top TE's in recent history are guys that were taken in the 2nd - 3rd rounds and more. Ertz, Gronk, Kelce, Graham, etc.

Archived