rcon14 Mock 3.0

rcon14

After the frenzy of FA's first week, another mock. Rules are the same as they have been in the past, I limit the board to guys who clear or are near GB's traditional thresholds.

Pre-Draft Free Agency

-I don't have anything put here, I'm guessing a good chunk of what's left will be signed post-draft

2019 NFL Draft:

The following players are taken before 12: Murray, Bosa, Q. Williams, Allen, Dillard, Haskins, Lock, Burns, Metcalf, White, G. Williams

12. DL Ed Oliver - Houston
636154968793531198-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-LOU
By the time his pro-day comes and goes this may be a pipe dream. Oliver is not Aaron Donald, let's stop that right away. However, he has a chance to be one of the most versatile and dynamic front 7 pieces in the league. With the ability to play 1-tech through wide-9, Oliver brings versatility, quickness, and power to a defense that prioritizes positional versatility.

30. TRADE! With Daniel Jones falling down the board, the NYG are looking to trade up to secure the valuable fifth-year option on their QB.
GB trades: 30, 118
NYG trades: 37, 95, 108
NYG pay a bit of a premium for the fifth-year option.

37. S Juan Thornhill - Virginia
Juan+THornhill+Virginia+v+Duke+LAmw_eOlz
Former CB-turned safety with some outstanding athletic numbers. Provides additional versatility to the secondary with the ability to play either safety spot and matchup in man coverage in some situations. Another chess piece to add to the defense.

44. EDGE Chase Winovich - Michigan
5fdb24e5-eaa6-4954-b8da-1694671db7cf-AP_
Worked out very well and was very productive in college. Provides a bit of a different look than the EDGE we currently have, and allows us to have a versatile, deep, and dangerous pass rush.

75. OT Max Scharping - Northern Illinois
59c832e4863f9.image.jpg?resize=400%2C267
A few hundredths of a second from checking the boxes as a traditional GB OL. Will be the heir-apparent to Bulaga at RT.

95. TE Josh Oliver - San Jose State
s-l300.jpg
Can press the field vertically and has enough COD skill to be a intermediate threat. Blocking, like with most college TEs, is a work-in-progress, but the bones are there.

108. WR Terry McLaurin - Ohio State
terry-mcLaurin-ohio-state-td.jpg
The forgotten man of the Ohio State speedy duo. McLaurin had a great combine (9.64 RAS) and fits the size that GB traditionally looks for. Could fit into several different roles on offense (vertical threat, gadget, slot), and adds more horizontal and vertical stretching to the offense.

112. CB David Long - Michigan
65f539e3-2ccf-4e95-b811-0855b8a6f948-dav
Another combine star (4.45 40, 6.45 3C, 3.97 SS, holy jesus). Provides GB with another stellar athlete in the secondary, giving them the ability to matchup with most any group of WRs from an athletic perspective. No more Ladarius Gunter getting stuck on Julio Jones anymore.

150. DL/EDGE John Cominsky - Charleston
5beb6db9cc206.image.jpg?resize=400%2C267
My day-3 EDGE/DL crush. His numbers are JJ Watt-lite esque. His Waldo #s and RAS are both obnoxious for any player, let alone a D2 guy. Could play 5-tech and EDGE, a HR swing.

185. LB Blake Cashman - Minnesota
Gplbmjh8_400x400.jpg
Another high-end athlete (9.63 RAS). Comes in to compete with the whole lot of guys for the other ILB spot.

194. RB Alex Barnes - Kansas State
jEGKYTqk_400x400.jpg
Shocking, another dynamic athlete (9.87 RAS)! A day 3 RB to come in and compete for a roster spot.

TRADE: GB 7th rounder traded for 2020 6th.

Post-Draft FA:
S Eddie Pleasant
-Brought back to be a backup S

PROJECTED DEPTH CHART:
QB: Rodgers/Kizer/Boyle
RB: Jones/Williams/Barnes
FB: Vitale
WR: Adams/Allison/MVS/ESB/McLaurin/Moore
TE: Graham/Oliver/Tonyan/Lewis
OT: Bakhtiari/Bulaga/Scharping/Spriggs
IOL: Linsley/Turner/Taylor/Patrick/Siragusa

EDGE: Smith/Smith/Winovich/Fackrell
5T: Lowry/Cominsky
IDL: Clark/Daniels/Oliver/Lancaster
ILB: Martinez/Cashman/Burks/Insert UDFA here
CB: Alexander/King/Jackson/Long/Brown
FS: Thornhill/Williams/Greene
SS: Amos/Pleasant

K: Crosby
P: Scott
LS: Bradley

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats the first I've seen of Oliver. He looks more like a LB than a DL. 6'2 / 290# ?  Seems kinda light for DL in the NFL.

There's been a lot of 3/5 techs that play in the 290-295 range.

• Like 1

Winovich has a Vince Biegle look to him.....so I looked him up at The Draft Netork. He's the eight best rated EDGE player - 43rd best overall prospect - so getting him a 44 would be on target. At 6'3 / 253# he's got good size - even so - I'm not reading a difference maker. I'm reading a tough, football player - that gets tied up by the OT and dies on the outside. Our FAs were nice pickups - but we need to invest at a premium EDGE guy IMO. Not sure Winovich is that guy.

Burst - Not a highly explosive athlete. Can be slow off the ball and doesn't get a great jump at all times. Decent arc speed and stride length, but not enough to be a trait he hangs his hat on. Has shown the ability to time up the snap in flashes.

Bend - Not overly bendy in the hips, but can shoulder dip under contact and tilt the edge. Reduces his surface area pretty well at the top of the arc, swiveling his shoulders to get through contact with minimal resistance. Does an outstanding job getting his hips and feet pointed to the pocket as an edge rusher. Corners better than given credit for.

Rush Moves - Elite combination of moves and ability to work various plans of attack to get home. Maximizes his average physical and athletic tools by having a plan of attack and consistently executing. Terrific job of showing hands and then attacking his opponent's punch when he overreacts. Gets linemen lunging and deploys the ****** maneuver. Transition from ****** to rip at the top of the arc is so smooth. Push-pull is deadly. Creates some push with his bull rush. 2-hand swat is a thing of beauty.

Counters - Consistently works to get to the quarterback, although his secondary moves are more last resort dramatic effort than anything formulated in his plan of attack. Doesn't get locked up often, keeps himself clean enough to disengage and work back to the quarterback. He'll get some hustle sacks in the NFL, but won't convert primary rushes to counters in a timely fashion very often. Not a speed-counter type of rusher.

Run Defense - Really good point-of-attack run defender, plays with power, leverage and hand placement. Long arms to lock out opponents and keep his frame clean. Easy disengage, push-pulled blockers out of the picture for clean sheds. Penn State and Notre Dame can testify to his functional strength. Smart player who finds the ball quickly and can make plays from the backside. Only limitation is range and athleticism to make plays in space.

Lateral Mobility - Labored lateral mover who struggles to change directions quickly. Not a quick-twitch defender and won't be able to bounce and match more explosive runners to the boundary. Biggest struggles come in his inability to mirror ball carriers in space or make plays to the perimeter.

Mental Processing/Vision - Knows what to do in unblocked situations. Attacks pullers and won't get kicked out. Recognizes blocking schemes extremely well and refuses to be reached on the edge. Sees inside space as a rusher and will work to it for fast tracks to the quarterback. Gets a little hungry at times and will chase ball fakes.

Tackling/Finishing - Can be a little aggressive and lose his balance coming into contact. Has the length and strength to get runners on the ground when he comes to balance first. Flashes of big-hit ability show up on tape.

Competitive Toughness - One of the toughest, most physical football players on the planet. High character prospect who will play through injury and work his tail off on every snap. Motor never quits. Does need to temper himself at times, as dumb penalties will creep into his play.

Athleticism/Size - Outstanding size, length and build for an edge defender, but lacks the ideal burst, arc speed and hip flexibility to be super dangerous on the outside track. Combine will be massive for him, particularly the 3-cone and 10-yard split.

BEST TRAIT - Hand Usage

WORST TRAIT - Burst

RED FLAGS - Dropped out of Senior Bowl dealing with a foot injury

Winovich is a pretty fascinating case study in what it takes to be a successful edge rusher in the NFL. At first glance his traits don't seem to be inspiring, as he lacks explosiveness and doesn't have great change-of-direction or speed to run the arc. Nevertheless, Winovich bends under contact and gets his feet pointed to the pocket better than he's given credit for, which combined with his hand usage allows for him to corner at a decent level.

Winovich is probably never going to be a double-digit sack artist in the NFL, but he is a high floor defender with a strong all-around game and terrific intangibles. The second round is probably a little too bold for me, but he has starter ability and at the very least will be a key member of a team's rotation at edge.

From Rotoworld:

Michigan EDGE Chase Winovich went through drills at both defensive end and linebacker during his pro day on Friday. (So apparently his foot injury wasnt serious).

Winovich (6'3/256) has done nothing but help himself during the draft process. Known for his tireless motor and infectious physicality, he proved that he had a little more horsepower under the hood than you might outwardly think while at the combine, posting a composite SPARQ score placing him solidly in the 68th percentile of NFL edge rushers. His willingness to run through two position-group sets of drills on his pro day just speaks to the kind of worker and hustler Winovich has always been. He has a solid shot to land on Day 2 in April.

Edited by Leader

Just now, Leader said:

Winovich has a Vince Biegle look to him.....so I looked him up at The Draft Netork. He's the eight best rated EDGE player - 43rd best overall prospect - so getting him a 44 would be on target. At 6'3 / 253# he's got good size - even so - I'm not reading a difference maker. I'm reading a tough, football player - that gets tied up by the OT and dies on the outside. Our FAs were nice pickups - but we need to invest at a premium EDGE guy IMO. Not sure Winovich is that guy.

Burst - Not a highly explosive athlete. Can be slow off the ball and doesn't get a great jump at all times. Decent arc speed and stride length, but not enough to be a trait he hangs his hat on. Has shown the ability to time up the snap in flashes.

Bend - Not overly bendy in the hips, but can shoulder dip under contact and tilt the edge. Reduces his surface area pretty well at the top of the arc, swiveling his shoulders to get through contact with minimal resistance. Does an outstanding job getting his hips and feet pointed to the pocket as an edge rusher. Corners better than given credit for.

Rush Moves - Elite combination of moves and ability to work various plans of attack to get home. Maximizes his average physical and athletic tools by having a plan of attack and consistently executing. Terrific job of showing hands and then attacking his opponent's punch when he overreacts. Gets linemen lunging and deploys the ****** maneuver. Transition from ****** to rip at the top of the arc is so smooth. Push-pull is deadly. Creates some push with his bull rush. 2-hand swat is a thing of beauty.

Counters - Consistently works to get to the quarterback, although his secondary moves are more last resort dramatic effort than anything formulated in his plan of attack. Doesn't get locked up often, keeps himself clean enough to disengage and work back to the quarterback. He'll get some hustle sacks in the NFL, but won't convert primary rushes to counters in a timely fashion very often. Not a speed-counter type of rusher.

Run Defense - Really good point-of-attack run defender, plays with power, leverage and hand placement. Long arms to lock out opponents and keep his frame clean. Easy disengage, push-pulled blockers out of the picture for clean sheds. Penn State and Notre Dame can testify to his functional strength. Smart player who finds the ball quickly and can make plays from the backside. Only limitation is range and athleticism to make plays in space.

Lateral Mobility - Labored lateral mover who struggles to change directions quickly. Not a quick-twitch defender and won't be able to bounce and match more explosive runners to the boundary. Biggest struggles come in his inability to mirror ball carriers in space or make plays to the perimeter.

Mental Processing/Vision - Knows what to do in unblocked situations. Attacks pullers and won't get kicked out. Recognizes blocking schemes extremely well and refuses to be reached on the edge. Sees inside space as a rusher and will work to it for fast tracks to the quarterback. Gets a little hungry at times and will chase ball fakes.

Tackling/Finishing - Can be a little aggressive and lose his balance coming into contact. Has the length and strength to get runners on the ground when he comes to balance first. Flashes of big-hit ability show up on tape.

Competitive Toughness - One of the toughest, most physical football players on the planet. High character prospect who will play through injury and work his tail off on every snap. Motor never quits. Does need to temper himself at times, as dumb penalties will creep into his play.

Athleticism/Size - Outstanding size, length and build for an edge defender, but lacks the ideal burst, arc speed and hip flexibility to be super dangerous on the outside track. Combine will be massive for him, particularly the 3-cone and 10-yard split.

BEST TRAIT - Hand Usage

WORST TRAIT - Burst

RED FLAGS - Dropped out of Senior Bowl dealing with a foot injury (do we need another one of these?)

Winovich is a pretty fascinating case study in what it takes to be a successful edge rusher in the NFL. At first glance his traits don't seem to be inspiring, as he lacks explosiveness and doesn't have great change-of-direction or speed to run the arc. Nevertheless, Winovich bends under contact and gets his feet pointed to the pocket better than he's given credit for, which combined with his hand usage allows for him to corner at a decent level.

Winovich is probably never going to be a double-digit sack artist in the NFL, but he is a high floor defender with a strong all-around game and terrific intangibles. The second round is probably a little too bold for me, but he has starter ability and at the very least will be a key member of a team's rotation at edge.

The combine was massive for him and here's what he did, numbers come from RAS, Waldo scores and percentiles from my own spreadsheets:

Chase Winovich
4.59 40
1.57 10
30.5 Vert
9'8'' broad
4.11 shuttle
6.94 3C
8.56 RAS

Waldo Scores (Percentile):
41.03 Mass (48)
.88 Power (29)
2.77 Speed 40 (89)
4.63 Speed 10 (95)
3.49 Agility (87)
.94 Twitch (91)

The guy is a phenomenal athlete and would provide some diversity to our front. We have to remember that it is likely that Za'Darius is used as a stand-up 3T rusher on passing downs, so having another EDGE will be needed.

• Like 2

Just now, pacman5252 said:

I actually do like this draft. Oliver/Winovich would be good gets. Not the biggest Thornhill fan but I get it.

Honestly, it could be any of Adderley/Thornhill/CGJ and I'd be good with it. I have them all in that same tier of FS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I like the players at the top but in the middle I like Edoga more as the 3rd-4th round lineman for us. I also think Barnes will end up more in the 4th-5th round range and I'm not sure that Cominsky gets drafted.

I agree with most of this, but I think Cominsky's a 5th round player based on the rankings I've seen.

9 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I like the players at the top but in the middle I like Edoga more as the 3rd-4th round lineman for us. I also think Barnes will end up more in the 4th-5th round range and I'm not sure that Cominsky gets drafted.

Edoga is a guy I have in the 4/5 range. I like Scharping a bit more but I could Edoga being that fourth round OT we turn into an OG.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Our defense looks unreal coming out of this draft, but after spending so much on D in FA it's hard to imagine us not using at least one of those first three picks on offense.

Yeah I had similar concerns looking at it. The biggest problem I see is that the available players on offense don't fit what we need or provide the value in R1 (WR, TE). I can't draft a TE at 12 and I don't think Fant or Hock make it to 30. Perhaps a WR at 30 or 44 could make sense. I'm not sure there are any real R2 TEs worth getting, so we're waiting til R3 or R4 for that I think.

Would enjoy very much. Especially Oliver and Winovich who out-tested Clay in some categories and was very close in others

Really am starting to think a trade back is likely with one of the 1st rounders. Obviously depends on who's there.

I had just got turned onto Long and think he will be gone earlier than that after his combine #'s though.