rcon14 Mock 3.0

rcon14

5 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Not so sure you address the top draft priorities IMO.

Top 3 priorities - again IMO = TE, OL, WR, S

Next priorities = DL, ILB, RB, QB

I see Round 1 with the Packers not trading back late but possibly early. R1 = TE and OL, R2 = S, R3 WR, R4 and after top Edge and then the rest of the priorities. I see doublign up on OL and TE.

I think it's a difference of perceived value. I value a high-end IDL much more than a high-end TE. I just don't think TE is that impactful of a position, and if you look historically, TE tend to not be high producers right away. I understand the OL thought, if GB went with a future RT at 30 it would be fine with me. WR is a R2/R3 position, traditionally. Safety is taken care of.

I got DL. I have a take, that I know is pretty hot, but ILBs are RBs of the offense. They largely don't matter and are a product of the players around them. Have competency and you'll be fine. Runningbacks don't matter at all. No QB you get in this class (assuming you're not taking one early, which you absolutely shouldn't if you're GB) is actually going to be meaningfully better than a replacement level backup QB.

11 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Not so sure you address the top draft priorities IMO.

Top 3 priorities - again IMO = TE, OL, WR, S

Next priorities = DL, ILB, RB, QB

I see Round 1 with the Packers not trading back late but possibly early. R1 = TE and OL, R2 = S, R3 WR, R4 and after top Edge and then the rest of the priorities. I see doublign up on OL and TE.

Just curious why DL is so far down your list 

11 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I got DL. I have a take, that I know is pretty hot, but ILBs are RBs of the offense. They largely don't matter and are a product of the players around them. Have competency and you'll be fine. Runningbacks don't matter at all. No QB you get in this class (assuming you're not taking one early, which you absolutely shouldn't if you're GB) is actually going to be meaningfully better than a replacement level backup QB.

Not really a hot take there by any means.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not really a hot take there by any means.

Well, it is for people who are advocating a White or Bush being a 1st round prospect. Honestly, if I were running a scouting department, I wouldn't have my scouts scout any non-day 3 RBs or any pre-round 3 LBs.

Just now, rcon14 said:

Well, it is for people who are advocating a White or Bush being a 1st round prospect. Honestly, if I were running a scouting department, I wouldn't have my scouts scout any non-day 3 RBs or any pre-round 3 LBs.

That's probably a tad extreme, but I get where you're going with that.  I mean, at a certain point you'd have to consider Saquon Barkley or Ezekiel Elliott.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's probably a tad extreme, but I get where you're going with that.  I mean, at a certain point you'd have to consider Saquon Barkley or Ezekiel Elliott.

Real fire take: I don't think I would take Saquon, who I consider the best modern RB prospect, prior to like pick 90.

13 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Only the Sith deal in absolutes

8 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I get not valuing ILB as high as some other positions but definitely disagree that they don't matter. Look at the impact guys like Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, CJ Mosley, Lawrence Timmons, and Derrick Johnson have had, just to name a few. Look at the impact some of the young guys like Roquan Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, and Darius Leonard have had. I am aware some of those guys play OLB but they would be ILB's for us. Heck, look at the impact Desmond Bishop had for us when we won the Superbowl, we still haven't been able to replace that.  

So it doesn't matter if we have Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, or a prime Adrian Peterson starting at RB?

I understand positional value and the logic behind it but this seems a little extreme. ILB has become an underrated position imo. 

15 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Real fire take: I don't think I would take Saquon, who I consider the best modern RB prospect, prior to like pick 90.

I feel like you're failing to take into account Barkley's ability to operate as a secondary pass target. That adds a level of value that a guy like Peterson just didn't/doesn't have. 

Round	Players	YPA
1	47	4,21
2	46	4,03
3	45	3,99
4	69	3,98
5	46	4,05
6	55	3,69
7	59	3,27

This is the career average YPA for running backs drafted in each round (making good use of the data I compiled for the average draft position thread). While there is some extra production to be had there in the first round, I'd argue the big dropoff is from 5 to 6.

@AlexGreen#20 Messed my quote somehow. This was directed at you - your observation about the passing game is on point IMO because when it comes to running the ball, the difference in production between a premium prospect at RB and a middle of the road one isn't as great as it can be with a pass rusher or OT.

45 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Round	Players	YPA
1	47	4,21
2	46	4,03
3	45	3,99
4	69	3,98
5	46	4,05
6	55	3,69
7	59	3,27

This is the career average YPA for running backs drafted in each round (making good use of the data I compiled for the average draft position thread). While there is some extra production to be had there in the first round, I'd argue the big dropoff is from 5 to 6.

@AlexGreen#20 Messed my quote somehow. This was directed at you - your observation about the passing game is on point IMO because when it comes to running the ball, the difference in production between a premium prospect at RB and a middle of the road one isn't as great as it can be with a pass rusher or OT.

It is the ability of a RB to offer high quality reps and performance/production as both a runner and pass catcher.  There are lots of RB that can serve as pass catchers like Barkley, but few that can do both.

48 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Round	Players	YPA
1	47	4,21
2	46	4,03
3	45	3,99
4	69	3,98
5	46	4,05
6	55	3,69
7	59	3,27

Trust me, nobody is more on board with the idea that the RB is the most replaceable portion of the running game than I am. 

I also think that you're seeing data skew due to FBs and short yardage runners in the 6th/7th round category. Just a theory, but I'll bet there's a very high number of TDs relative to carries in that group.

Archived