Brian Burns Mock Draft

Money

Trade 1.20 + 2.52 to Detroit for the 8th overall pick, where the Steelers select Brian Burns

Pittsburgh - 8th overall - Brian Burns EDGE Florida State

Aldon Smith. 6'5" 249 4.53. With long arms and he's a bull. Unstoppable force and the #1 pick on redrafts when he becomes the next in line in the long line of dominant pass rushers in the NFL. 

Pittsburgh - 66th overall - Andy Isabella WR UMASS

Slot receiver. JuJu. Moncrief to take the top off. Isabella in the Slot. Isabella is the best WR out of the trio. 5'9" but compact and strong. 4.30 speed. And laughable 97 agility. Makes UMASS competition look high school. NFL talent will do that to you. Better tools than Edelman. Better tools than Welker. Could be the best slot of all-time.

Pittsburgh - 83rd overall - Will Harris S Boston College

6'1" 209. Fast, physical strong safety prospect that ran a 4.41. Playmaker. Looking for a Brian Dawkins and I'm gonna shoot my shot with this 12 year NFL vet.

Pittsburgh - 122nd overall - Blake Cashman LB Minnesota

Former walk-on. 6'1" 237. 4.50 forty yard dash. Leader. Instinctive. Productive. In the mold of a Luke Kuechly. 

Pittsburgh - 141st overall - John Cominsky DE Charleston

6'5" 286 small-school flier. I was just watching this guy, and he looks the part. He just looked different, and his burst looked to be NFL level. Developmental DL prospect that can help early on in the rotation.

Pittsburgh - 175th overall - Jamal Davis EDGE Akron

Next great MAC LB for the Black & Gold. 6'3" 243. With excellent movement skills and the frame to add another 5-10 pounds.

Pittsburgh - 192nd overall - Daylon Mack NT Texas A&M

The 6'1" 340 bullet. Rifles up through defenses. Not a run-stuffing NT per se, but that's old hat anyway, this guy will help in the pass rush because his mass and force can't be contained. 

Pittsburgh - 207th overall - Ryan Bates C Penn St

Potential undrafted underclassmen that ends up an All-Pro. It's not rare. Uncommon. But he believes in his skills, and I like his numbers, so this is a pure Kelvin Beachum numbers play down here where you think you're lucky to get one, but it's just another numbers play. His numbers play. 

Pittsburgh - 219th overall - Jaylen Smith WR Louisville

Numbers again. Never had a QB. He had LaMar Jackson. Not as productive this year with even worse QBing than LaMar Jackson. I poke fun at LaMar facetiously, he CAN play, he is just NOT accurate. Like, at all. Vince Young type arm. But with Cunningham type arm strength. 6'2" 217 4.47. 

Pretty solid grouping here with predominantly overdrafts. What I like about this class is we finally develop a pass rush. The problem is we have 3-4 DE that play 4-3 DT in a sub defense. We give up quickness with the lethargic 3-4 DE (unless it's Rashan Gary) compared to the speed, power, and quickness of the modern day 4-3 DT. Watt has length and agility but weak burst and then to me he reveals he is a 4-3 OLB. The normal 4-3 DE has the length, agillty, and burst. And that burst is what gives the tackle problems. We also have Bud Dupree at EDGE - Who isn't much. We lack the dynamism around the EDGE and that constant nuisance around the edge that keeps the QB out of rhythm. It helps they have the interior pocket collapse, from these 4-3 DTs that get upfield, so the QB gets too much depth, and is walled off from the outside rush. We lack the 4-3 DE or even a prototypical 3-4 OLB. Watt is a strongside LB in the 4-3 with adequate rush and cover skills. Keep in mind these guys are going about 4.5 around the edge, even if it's just a one trick pony speed rusher on third down. That equals to the lack of constant pressure. We stop a drive if we get a sack or they get a penalty. Otherwise, it's smooth sailing. Sacks are production. Tangible. But constant pressure and never allowing the QB to develop a rhythm is the name of the game.

I would rather have no sacks and constant pressure. Than four sacks. Or splash plays. Because other than that, they are going up and down the field, because we lack the dynamic players that get that strip sack, that cause a bad throw, or a playmaker in the secondary to cover our wounds and be a blanket for the whole defense. Like in the mold of a Troy. 

Two 3-4 PROTOTYPE OLB prospects will give us constant pressure. Plus, the addition of Daylon Mack adds another wrinkle. He's a one gap NT. Pure beast. Can't stop him he's getting through that gap. Put the 3-4 DE's next to him. Put the 3-4 OLBs next to them. Turn one ILB into a roaming safety. The other ILB plays in the middle. Call it a 5-1-5. [Two Nickel] Basically, a 3-4, with a minor wrinkle. But the job of the NT is to get an upfield rush. The point is by just adding a 6th rd one gap NT, you will now get more out of your 3-4 DE's, because they are now in better spacing and position to succeed with their given set of skills. Need smart, fast, sure-tackling safeties to stop the draw. 

Three players that will help on offense, one of which will set the tone, the other, hopefully, a long-term replacement for Donte Moncrief

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

In what dream world does Detroit do this?

Not  saying it likely but with Patricia being a Bellicheck disciple you never know.

If it takes this year 1st and 2nd to go get White, I’m not sure a ILB is worth it.

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If we trade up to 8 and take Brian Burns I'd be livid. If we are trading up that far it needs to be for somebody like Devin white or Josh Allen. There is no way in hell you can justify taking Brian Burns regardless of how good of a talent he is at number 8 overall

Josh Allen and Brian Burns play the same position.  I love Burns.

Archived