Raiders are signing LB Vontaze Burfict

agarcia34

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You mean an "aggressive" MLB who was a loose cannon on and off the field, which raised red flags. He was benched in college because of unusually high number of personal foul penalties and despite coming into the combine as the top rated LB, he failed his drug test at the combine and performed record settingly poor and went undrafted.

Has 7 concussions, 8 separate fines totaling over 400k, 3 suspensions (hits and PEDs) for 10 games total, losing over 3.7mil in game checks. And those are just the ones he was fined for there are ATLEAST 7 other instances of dirtbaggery including groin shots, ankle twisting, late hits, defenseless receiver hits and obsence rants and gestures to HOME fans.

He has missed 19 games in 7 years with knee and hip injuries and last year was markedly slow and abused by over the middle routes by RBs and TEs. All this on top of being already slow for a current LB.

So, yes, RISK. I don't know how it could be higher.

The guy clearly has a checkered past as you have clearly shown, I'm not debating that.  This team has payed soft for years and this guy is a hard as they come.  A bunch of players on Twitter have welcomed VB including AB.  They mention how much of a gamer he is.  

5 million is very little risk if he is healthy and can return to form.  If not we cut bait for whatever reason as I can assure you that he will receive a small portion of that 5 million.  If he returns to form you have a 10 million dollar MLB at the basement price of 5 million.     

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The guy clearly has a checkered past as you have clearly shown, I'm not debating that.  This team has payed soft for years and this guy is a hard as they come.  A bunch of players on Twitter have welcomed VB including AB.  They mention how much of a gamer he is.  

5 million is very little risk if he is healthy and can return to form.  If not we cut bait for whatever reason as I can assure you that he will receive a small portion of that 5 million.  If he returns to form you have a 10 million dollar MLB at the basement price of 5 million.     

You don't know those # yet and the if regarding his health and returning to form are HUGE.

Regardless of that, we could have used that money to sign a MLB that isn't in any (or very few) of these risk categories.

Terrible signing I am betting we will regret.

11 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You don't know those # yet and the if regarding his health and returning to form are HUGE.

Regardless of that, we could have used that money to sign a MLB that isn't in any (or very few) of these risk categories.

Terrible signing I am betting we will regret.

Downside is we cut him with minimal loss and his upside is as greater than any other LB left on the FA market.

16 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

And what are the players suppose to say. He is on the team. Got to make the best of it.

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Downside is we cut him with minimal loss and his upside is as greater than any other LB left on the FA market.

How is 5mil minimal loss? You don't know the contract details yet.

And at this point in their careers I don't think his upside is better than Zach Brown's upside because Brown hasn't had any of these issues and hasn't had a down year and VB is...well you know.

16 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I hate losing. And I have a terrible feeling, that is backed up by his compounded history informing my current opinion, that if he makes the team he will contribute to more terrible play in the middle of our defense. Equaling loses.

Well considering our past 10 years or longer of Middle linebackers we had contributed to losing he doesn't have big shoes to fill