Raiders are signing LB Vontaze Burfict

agarcia34

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Just interested to know how you felt/feel about the Soul Patrol or Lyla Alzado or Bill Romanowski? 

I don't think Burfict is any worse than these guys, he's a tough player who sometimes crosses the line as the above did. They are celebrated whilst Burfict is ostracised. I think this move makes sense, had his best years under our current DC and I was surprised to learn he is still only 28. Hope he plays MLB and I think that is the plan for him.

Romo was a one year Raider who I think is a bigger piece of trash than VB.

Players that played back in the 60's and 70 have no relevance to this discussion as there were different standards and acceptable norms back than. Of course, I love our history, legacy and accomplishments. But if you are asking if I think any of those guys would be considered bad people, I'm sure they would. I haven't dove deep into any of their actions on and off field to say that for sure. But to that I would say the same as I say about VB, I would cheer the team and not the trashcan signed to a deal with the team.

5 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Romo was a one year Raider who I think is a bigger piece of trash than VB.

Players that played back in the 60's and 70 have no relevance to this discussion as there were different standards and acceptable norms back than. Of course, I love our history, legacy and accomplishments. But if you are asking if I think any of those guys would be considered bad people, I'm sure they would. I haven't dove deep into any of their actions on and off field to say that for sure. But to that I would say the same as I say about VB, I would cheer the team and not the trashcan signed to a deal with the team.

I've heard a few media people say that Burfict is congenial, comes across as intelligent and doesn't seem to have any off field issues considering his troubled upbringing. He no doubt has played over the line at times but I wouldn't describe the guy as a bad person (unless there's something I haven't been aware of). 

There's no right and wrong here, just curious as to your take as you come across as a thoughtful and mature poster that's all!

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I've heard a few media people say that Burfict is congenial, comes across as intelligent and doesn't seem to have any off field issues considering his troubled upbringing. He no doubt has played over the line at times but I wouldn't describe the guy as a bad person (unless there's something I haven't been aware of). 

There's no right and wrong here, just curious as to your take as you come across as a thoughtful and mature poster that's all!

That is the thing about bad people though. Many don't wanna be seen as such. It's a "bad" look. They keep things buttoned up a lot of the time. Wearing a mask, in other words. It's when stress is applied, inhibitions are lowered or when quick thinking is necessary that the mask can slip. This is why you look at someone actions over a course of time and not just one incident to judge their character.

Now I also think some don't have the proper experience, training, mentor-ship or development to form good judgement to inform their actions or have had experiences that damage their mental and emotional make up. But excusing these people actions isn't helping them or anyone else in the long run.

I stated this before but I have personal feelings about this because a guy just like this ended my playing career when he shouldn't have been on the field. He was a repeated bad act offender but was given slack because of his "talent". He went on to seriously injure someone in college with another egregious act even worse than the one on me and was off the team and later jail.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is the thing about bad people though. Many don't wanna be seen as such. It's a "bad" look. They keep things buttoned up a lot of the time. Wearing a mask, in other words. It's when stress is applied, inhibitions are lowered or when quick thinking is necessary that the mask can slip. This is why you look at someone actions over a course of time and not just one incident to judge their character.

Now I also think some don't have the proper experience, training, mentor-ship or development to form good judgement to inform their actions or have had experiences that damage their mental and emotional make up. But excusing these people actions isn't helping them or anyone else in the long run.

I stated this before but I have personal feelings about this because a guy just like this ended my playing career when he shouldn't have been on the field. He was a repeated bad act offender but was given slack because of his "talent". He went on to seriously injure someone in college with another egregious act even worse than the one on me and was off the team and later jail.

Mask or no mask what has he done off the field to say he's a bad person? I remember playing CB and I would name call Wr's all the time using words I dont use off the field  on the field I was just a different person, is he a dirty player absolutely, does that make him a bad person off of it I can't say it does.

6 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Good. We needed LB-ers. Now add another veteran LB in FA and hope at least one of the 2 turns out to be starting material. 

DE next.

I'm worried we waited too long to get an impact DE. Anyone we get now is 1 year fodder. Even if we draft one impact player, our pass rush isn't going to get much better over last year.  Which is sad as it was one of our clearest areas of need.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I'm worried we waited too long to get an impact DE. Anyone we get now is 1 year fodder. Even if we draft one impact player, our pass rush isn't going to get much better over last year.  Which is sad as it was one of our clearest areas of need.

Houstan or Ansah wouldn't be 1 year fodder!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Mask or no mask what has he done off the field to say he's a bad person? I remember playing CB and I would name call Wr's all the time using words I dont use off the field  on the field I was just a different person, is he a dirty player absolutely, does that make him a bad person off of it I can't say it does.

Why does it matter whether it's on or off the field?

You said you called a guy names. Did you target guys heads intentional? Did you hit guys in the crotch after they were down? Did you twist guys ankles after they were down? There is a huge difference and it's not "just being aggressive". He is a bad person the same way a cop that gets multiple excessive force charges is or a fighter that loads his gloves or punches after the bell REPEATEDLY is.

You are who you are. That your trying to make a distinction and say he is a different person on the field is nonsense. Millions of people play contact sports without doing the blatant crap he does over and over again. It's not like he made a mistake and he tried to learn from it or something. This stuff was still happening last year.

Let's just play this out for a sec. What if he signed somewhere else and hit AB in the head again and did serious damage. I know everyone in here would be call him trash just from the reaction we get in gameday threads from a dropped pass or a missed flag.

Call it like it is man! Either you are ok with this garbage person being allowed to stay playing and for our team no less or you are against it.

58 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Houstan or Ansah wouldn't be 1 year fodder!

I'd have rather gotten Houston. But he may just hate us lol. Always a possibility. We can always draft 4 DEs.  Won't know until the draft is over.