Raiders sign Vontaze Burfict LB

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He was a well-respected leader in Cincinnati. People are blurring the line between his dirty play and his character outside of that.

People have their reasons to hate Burfict. I understand that and can see how it's justified. He's a villain. But let's not slander him for things that are untrue just because it's fun to pile on.

Because of course he was lol nobody is slandering Burfict. The video is all there. The dude is a POS on the field who intentionally tries to injure players. 

Burfict the player is ruined IMO. He has had some iffy plays where he goes after the whistle or tries to get in peoples heads, but he can't get away with that stuff anymore. Refs watch him like a hawk, any little thing he does gets a flag. He also leaves with an injury like every game only to come back a few plays later and get injuried again. Then returns again. I think he also is thinking about stuff too much now which slows him down. That coupled with him not being in the best of shape last year caused him to really struggle. If Paul G can get him going again, he might be a good thumper, but I think his best days are behind him. It's only a matter of time till he gets suspended indefinitely for killing Mahommes.

7 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Burfict the player is ruined IMO. He has had some iffy plays where he goes after the whistle or tries to get in peoples heads, but he can't get away with that stuff anymore. Refs watch him like a hawk, any little thing he does gets a flag. He also leaves with an injury like every game only to come back a few plays later and get injuried again. Then returns again. I think he also is thinking about stuff too much now which slows him down. That coupled with him not being in the best of shape last year caused him to really struggle. If Paul G can get him going again, he might be a good thumper, but I think his best days are behind him. It's only a matter of time till he gets suspended indefinitely for killing Mahommes.

Very fair assessment. The reason why I like this is the fact Paul G has come out and said how smart Burfict is and how he practically built the Cincy D around him while there. Burfict took a major step back this season and I think some (not all) of that has to do with not playing under Paul's scheme. Paul knows exactly what he excels at and where he needs help. His injury history is of course a major concern too, but I'm not counting on him to be an every down player anyways. If he can come in, offer some insight to the scheme, play a handful of games and get guys lined up correctly when playing, then I am all for it. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Very fair assessment. The reason why I like this is the fact Paul G has come out and said how smart Burfict is and how he practically built the Cincy D around him while there. Burfict took a major step back this season and I think some (not all) of that has to do with not playing under Paul's scheme. Paul knows exactly what he excels at and where he needs help. His injury history is of course a major concern too, but I'm not counting on him to be an every down player anyways. If he can come in, offer some insight to the scheme, play a handful of games and get guys lined up correctly when playing, then I am all for it. 

For sure he is smart. Probably one of the most instictive linebackers I've seen. If you ever watched that Cincy-Pitt playoff game, he was a legit superstar. Absolutely incredible play making ability when the game was on the line. Unfortunately Jeremy Hill fumbled and Burfict tried to make another game changing play on Antonio Brown. Unfortunately it was the wrong kind of game changing play. He plays with passion and guys like that about him. Just be ready to take the good with the bad.

Edited by johndeere1707

29 minutes ago, theJ said:

The implication was that because Burfict was a junk human on the field, he was trouble off the field too.  @SmittyBacall was just pointing out that was untrue.  

By definition, that is slander.

Nah, I was more or less responding to him saying he was a well respected leader in the locker room. It explains a lot about a team when your well respected leader is a trash player who intentionally tries to injure people on a regular basis.

And I have a very hard time believing someone who does that is an upstanding person, because it takes some sort of mental awareness to go out every Sunday and intentionally try to injure people during and after the whistle.

48 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And I have a very hard time believing someone who does that is an upstanding person, because it takes some sort of mental awareness to go out every Sunday and intentionally try to injure people during and after the whistle.

I won't ever say that, because i've known two exceptions in my relatively short life.  Both guys are great people.  Self-sacrificing, humble, great manners, etc.  But when the whistle blows, they were both animals on the basketball court.  They definitely toe the line of being overly aggressive.  One guy to the point where he won't play anymore, because he's ashamed of what he's like when he's competing.  Neither was quite as bad as Burfict, but both made some enemies during their playing careers.

That being said, i think your intuition is right.  I doubt Burfict is exactly an upstanding person.  But i do think he's smart enough to avoid situations that might involve him in trouble off the field.  At least while he has a roster spot on a professional football team.

A Ravens fan commenting on intentionally injuring players? Lolllll. Ravens defense has a well documented history of trying to intentionally hurt star players, especially in playoffs. 2000 AFC Title game when that fat f*** fell on Gannon intentionally. Think this made NFL Networks top 3 or 4 dirty plays ever. Then the 2008 divisional game where they twisted Chris Johnsons ankle under the pile. I’m not defending Burfict, hes indeed been a pos with his actions, and so has the entire Raven defense since its existence in 1996. 

13 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

For sure he is smart. Probably one of the most instictive linebackers I've seen. If you ever watched that Cincy-Pitt playoff game, he was a legit superstar. Absolutely incredible play making ability when the game was on the line. Unfortunately Jeremy Hill fumbled and Burfict tried to make another game changing play on Antonio Brown. Unfortunately it was the wrong kind of game changing play. He plays with passion and guys like that about him. Just be ready to take the good with the bad.

Honestly our LB's have just been bad over the past decade. I'll take any good.