Clay Matthews Signs with Rams

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Will this cancel out a comp pick from Saffold or Joyner?

I was kind of hoping he had been cut like most of the FAs the Rams have signed lately, but it looks like we'll likely be losing one of those comp picks next year.

Hard to believe the Rams paid that much, but if there is any team that might resurrect Clay Matthews it is the LOS ANGELES Rams.

Clay can't beat competent tackles around the edge anymore, but with the pressure the Rams are able to generate elsewhere and with Clay playing at home, he just might get a few clean up sacks next season.

It will be interesting to see where he lines up, but I’d imagine he’s more likely to take Barron’s ILB.

I didn’t see much of him last year, but don’t think he needs much in the tank to be an improvement on Barron. I think he’ll be good with Littleton. 

31 minutes ago, jjab360 said:

I was kind of hoping he had been cut like most of the FAs the Rams have signed lately, but it looks like we'll likely be losing one of those comp picks next year.

If he doesn't cost much, it won't cost us a Joyner or Saffold comp pick.

EDIT: Just saw the contract. Oof.

Clay Matthews is definitely one of those guys who is going to be really really weird to see in a different uniform.  He, along with Rodgers obviously...was just such a "face of the franchise" for the Packers for so long.

Good, versatile signing for the Rams if he's got anything left in the tank though.

56 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

He has looked washed for several years now, it was just very apparent last season. Clay still has the motor to make some good plays here and there but his biggest issue is he hasn’t adapted his game. Still tries to play like he is 24 when he has clearly lost the juice

The NFL must have started using a stronger PED testing system 

It's ok if he's washed up, he can always become the Rams strength and conditioning coach like Brian Cushing lol

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

The NFL must have started using a stronger PED testing system 

its the frequency of testing that makes the difference. When Matthews, Peppers and Mike Neal all got "implicated" in a roids ring, they were most likely subjected to a more frequent test schedule by the NFL. Once the enhanced testing kicked in .... 3 players, 3 different outcomes: For Peppers, it didn't matter much, he's a God. Matthews stopped being elite and Mike Neal was out of the league.
(Although part of that may be tied to the fact that he was upstream in the distribution network)

In the 2010 version of America's Game, Rodgers jokingly derides Matthews for:  " being from SoCal and acting like it"  "Constantly hamming for the cameras"

Clay still has something to offer as a situational guy and Wade will figure out a plan.  I wish Matthews all the best in LA. Hope he makes it to 100 sacks

" Spill it Pickett ! "

Archived