Gute's Amazing Roster Purge

TheOnlyThing

In just over 14 months since he took over as GM, before his second draft class has even been selected, and with another training camp to come that may well result in additional moves, (as set forth below) 36 players (by my count) who were on the roster Brian Gutekunst inherited from his predecessor are no longer with the Green Bay Packers organization.

Gute truly is remaking the Packers in accordance with his own vision of what a roster should look like.

QB = CALLAHAN, HUNDLEY

RB = KERRIDGE, MAYS, MONTGOMERY, RIPKOWSKI

WR = M. CLARK, COBB, JANIS, NELSON

TE = BYRD, KENDRICKS**, RODGERS

OL = EVANS, MURPHY

DL = DIAL

OLB = BIEGEL, BROOKS, MATTHEWS, ODOM, PERRY

ILB = J. THOMAS, RYAN

CB = D. BROWN, HAWKINS, HOUSE**, PIPKINS, RANDALL, ROLLINS 

SAFETY = BRICE, BURNETT, HHCD, EVANS, WHITEHEAD

P = VOGEL

LS = GOODE

** These players are free agents who could possibly be re-signed.

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. he ain't messing around with Ted's guys.  Hope he can part with his own if it comes time to do it.  Well overdue on some of these guys. 

I believe that to be true but Gutey also has a new HC and DC change that TT didn’t have to go through.

Edited by Arthur Penske

22 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

QB = CALLAHAN, HUNDLEY

RB = KERRIDGE, MAYS, MONTGOMERY, RIPKOWSKI

WR = M. CLARK, COBB, JANIS, NELSON, PEARSON, YANCEY

TE = BYRD, KENDRICKS, RODGERS

OL = EVANS, MURPHY, DAY, JOHN, AMICHIA

DL = DIAL, LUNSFORD

OLB = BIEGEL, BROOKS, MATTHEWS, ODOM, PERRY

ILB = J. THOMAS, RYAN, TALLEY, A.THOMAS

CB = D. BROWN, HAWKINS, HOUSEPIPKINS, RANDALLROLLINS, GOODSON, WATERS, PRINGLE 

SAFETY = BRICE, BURNETT, HHCD, EVANS, WHITEHEAD

P = VOGEL, SCHUM

LS = GOODE, PEPPER, TRINER

I've added more names to the list from the final roster of the 2017 season.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We've got rid of some bottom roster fodder (like every off-season for every team in NFL history) and let our old FAs leave. Not sure outside of Randall or HHCD we're seeing anything that Ted wouldn't have done.

Mostly true. However as for our DB group I think if TT was still in charge probably half of them would still be on the roster by now. Gute really purged this area of the team. 14 players gone in 2 years. Our DB group is completely unrecognisable from the last TT roster.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We've got rid of some bottom roster fodder (like every off-season for every team in NFL history) and let our old FAs leave. Not sure outside of Randall or HHCD we're seeing anything that Ted wouldn't have done.

No kidding.  I don't know TOT can sit here and complain about bottom of the roster turnover.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We've got rid of some bottom roster fodder (like every off-season for every team in NFL history) and let our old FAs leave. Not sure outside of Randall or HHCD we're seeing anything that Ted wouldn't have done.

Hundley, Montgomery, Ripkowski, (Cobb or Nelson), Murphy, Perry, Biegel, Matthews, Ryan, Rollins, Hawkins, Pipkins, Brice, Whitehead ... among others, all stand an excellence chance of still being on the roster if the guy who brought them to Green Bay had not been replaced 14 months ago.

• Like 1

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Hundley, Montgomery, Ripkowski, (Cobb or Nelson), Murphy, Perry, Biegel, Matthews, Ryan, Rollins, Hawkins, Pipkins, Brice, Whitehead ... among others, all stand an excellence chance of still being on the roster if the guy who brought them to Green Bay had not been replaced 14 months ago.

Based on what?  Your preconceived opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No kidding.  I don't know TOT can sit here and complain about bottom of the roster turnover.

Complain?

Who is complaining about Gute turning over the roster?

The only ones I can see complaining about Gute's ongoing roster purge are the ever dwindling number of folks who still believe the prior GM's "drafting record ... stands up as well as any" other NFL GM between 2011 and 2017.

I think most Packer fans understand that Gute inherited a roster that badly needed an infusion of talent and thus accept his decisions to move on from, among others, the starting TE, RB, FB, LG, 2 of the 3 top WRs, 2 starting OLBs, 1 starting ILB, 4 of the top 5 CBs, and 4 of the top 5 Safeties he inherited.

Gotta feeling Gute is not done either.

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Hundley is a better backup QB than Kizer and the entire move surrounding this swap was bad for the team.

Who even knows with Montgomery. That was a very strange spot to begin with. 

Ripkowski should have been on the team. There were several instances last year where Kendricks' hurt us when asked to play H-back.

Are you saying you feel like one of Cobb/Nelson should have been on the team going into the 2019/2020 season? How do you feel that way when both were FAs?

Are you telling me that you would rather have Anthony Cole on the roster than Kyle Murphy?

Perry may well have gotten another chance. I just don't know how you say authoritatively that you would rather have 3 million in cap this year than Perry without seeing how he plays and if he can get healthy.

In the case of Biegel I'll ask, are you sure you would rather have Brady Sheldon on the roster than Biegel, even acknowledging the lack of scheme fit?

Matthews was a Free Agent, it's insane to think he had an "excellent chance" of being on the roster. At best that was a coin flip, and alternatively I'll ask the question, Clay Matthews or 5 million in cap space? Which will be more valuable this season. Time will tell.

Rollins was cooked and probably wouldn't have been on the roster, but again, we have Natrell Jamerson on the roster at CB taking camp body spots. Does it matter which guy is in that spot?

Same deal with Pipkins. Why do you care about the camp bodies?

Brice got his chance to try and it didn't work. TT moved on from McMillian. I don't know why you would assume he wouldn't move on from Brice? And again, Tray Matthews, Jason Thompson and Raven Greene are all on this roster for depth at safety. What's the issue with Brice having that roster spot over any of those guys?

Same with Whitehead. Why do you care that the bottom of the roster is getting churned? It got churned under TT too?

• Like 1

Just pulling two random years. 2013/2015 active rosters.

QB: Rodgers, Wallace, Tolzien, Flynn/Rodgers, Tolzien

RB: Starks, Lacy, Kuhn, M. Harris, Hill, Bell/Starks, Lacy, Kuhn, A. Harris, Crockett, Ripkowski

TE: Finley, Quarless, Taylor, Stoneburner, Bostick/Rodgers, Quarless, Backman, Perillo

WR: Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin, White, Ross, Harper/Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Jones, Montgomery, Abbrederis, Janis

OT: Bakhtiari, Newhouse, Barclay, Sherrod, Bulaga/Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Barclay, Walker,

OG: Sitton, Lang, Van Roten, Taylor/Sitton, Lang, Taylor

OC: EDS/Linsley, Tretter

++++++

The Packers moved on from Wallace, Flynn, M. Marris, Hill, Bell, Finley*, Taylor, Stoneburner, Boykin, White, Ross, Harper, Newhouse, Sherrod, Van Roten, and EDS

That's just on offense, and a very good to great offense over those years. 

You could make an argument that they only really swapped one starter (EDS for Linsley) but they also had a relatively young offense with good players at pretty much every spot.

++++

TLDR, a long list of players that got churned on the bottom of the roster doesn't mean anything. 

• Like 2

I could see Ted keeping Jordy and Damarious Randall, maybe one of Perry/Matthews this year, but I think most of these expiring contracts were inevitable. When your team is bad, your roster is gonna do some musical chairs like it did in 2018.

Edited by Gopackgonerd