Gute's Amazing Roster Purge

TheOnlyThing

22 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I believe that we gave MM every opportunity to succeed in 2018. I don’t believe they wanted to tank the year. I think that Gute/Murphy were prepared to move on but would’ve preferred keeping MM. 

Im honestly not sure why this is a controversial statement.

It's not at all, however your first statement of:

I think they planned to move on from MM from the beginning, but didn't want to dive into the head coach market without doing a ton of research first

Is quite controversial and also disagrees with what you just said.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not at all, however your first statement of:

I think they planned to move on from MM from the beginning, but didn't want to dive into the head coach market without doing a ton of research first

Is quite controversial and also disagrees with what you just said.

That statement disagrees with me saying they were prepared to move on but would’ve preferred not to?

8 minutes ago, deathstar said:

That statement disagrees with me saying they were prepared to move on but would’ve preferred not to?

"I think they planned to move on from the beginning."

You and I both know what this means, and it doesn't mean what you're saying now. What you're saying now is common sense. The Packers are prepared to move on from LaFleur but would prefer not to. You're always preparing to make a big change in the NFL and hoping you don't have to. That's why your first statement that they planned on this change but needed a year to research garnered attention.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

"I think they planned to move on from the beginning."

You and I both know what this means, and it doesn't mean what you're saying now. What you're saying now is common sense. The Packers are prepared to move on from LaFleur but would prefer not to. You're always preparing to make a big change in the NFL and hoping you don't have to. That's why your first statement that they planned on this change but needed a year to research garnered attention.

Gotcha. I don’t see the confusion but I apologize for causing any.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 7:28 PM, hitnhope said:

My point was that the defense was very obviously failing.  

Gute has really focused his roster purge on the defensive side of the ball.

4 of the "top" 5 OLBs he inherited are gone as are 2 of the 3 ILBs, all of the CBs save King and all of the Safeties other than J. Jones.

He has moved on from at least 7 starters (depending upon what D you consider to be base) from the 2017 defense.

Many of the defensive players who are gone from that 2017 D had been with the team for 3 or more years (Matthews, Perry, Ryan, Randall, Rollins, Burnett, Brice, and HHCD).

Looks like Gute agrees with your point that the defense had obviously been failing for years and has decided to transform the "talent" on that side of the ball.

• 4 months later...

DANIELS joins DIAL, BIEGEL, BROOKS, MATTHEWS, ODOM, PERRY, J. THOMAS, RYAN, D. BROWN, HAWKINS, HOUSE, PIPKINS, RANDALL, ROLLINS, BRICE, BURNETT, HHCD, and WHITEHEAD as defensive players who were on the roster Gute inherited 19 months ago and who are now former Packers.

54 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

DANIELS joins DIAL, BIEGEL, BROOKS, MATTHEWS, ODOM, PERRY, J. THOMAS, RYAN, D. BROWN, HAWKINS, HOUSE, PIPKINS, RANDALL, ROLLINS, BRICE, BURNETT, HHCD, and WHITEHEAD as defensive players who were on the roster Gute inherited 19 months ago and who are now former Packers.

Randall and Daniels are the only two I'd like to have around now. 

Remaining TT players on roster:

Offence:

Rodgers, Jones, Williams, Adams, Allison, Davis, Kumerow, Tonyan, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Linsley, Taylor, McCray, Pankey, Patrick, Springs.

Defence:

Clark, Lowry, M.Evans, Fackrell, Gilbert, Martinez, J.Jones, King.

ST:

Crosby

Based on this tweet I think It's pretty safe to say that a large portion of the remaining OL will not be here after training camp. Some of these guys were depth players under TT and this tweet hints that Gute didn't think the depth was good enough in the first place and after adding Turner, Jenkins, Madison the writing is on the wall for some of them.

The defence has truly been wiped clean. Can see Adams, Gilbert and Jones getting cut and I think that would be the end of the purge on the defensive side of the ball for a while.

I predict the remaining TT guys will be whittled down to just 17 players after training camp.

33 minutes ago, Chili said:

Based on this tweet I think It's pretty safe to say that a large portion of the remaining OL will not be here after training camp. Some of these guys were depth players under TT

Who is this talking about? McCray and Patrick? 

55 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Light, Spriggs, Pankey

Spriggs isn't get cut. Light was a Gute UDFA. Pankey has been active for two games in his life, just as many for Gute as Ted. 

Edited by Norm

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You don't move on from Spriggs on that that contract.

Edit...I say that I don't even like him.  But he's the third tackle.  

Yeah I don't see how he's cut unless he falls totally flat, like just something crazy. Pankey and Patrick, yeah probably gone. Not sure on McCray, but not likely to be around. I was just confused at first because I couldn't think of anyone who fit as depth other than McCray and Patrick but I guess if you throw in guys like Pankey and Spriggs it is a few depth guys still hanging around that won't be anymore, I'd guess.