Name 'Em: Got-To-Haves, JAGs, Boom/Busts, Stay-Aways, & "Surprising Pick but Solid" Prospects

Mind Character

Got-To-Haves

1.) Jerry Tillery, DT Notre Dame

2.) Johnathan Abram, S Mississippi State

3.) Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa St.

4.) T.J. Hockenson, TE Iowa

5.) Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State

6.) Taylor Rapp, S Washington

7.) JJ Arcega Whiteside, TE-Convert Stanford (As TE Only)

JAGs

1.) Greedy Williams, CB LSU

2.) **(JAG as a 43-player; As a 34 player, he's really good)** Dexter Lawrence, DT Clemson

3.) Christian Wilkins, DT Clemson

4.) Zach Allen, DE/DT Boston College

5.) Mack Wilson, LB Alabama

6.) Germaine Pratt, LB N.C. State

7.) Parris Campbell, WR Ohio State

8.) Justin Layne, CB Michigan State

Boom/Bust:

1.) Brian Burns, DE Florida State

2.) Noah Fant, TE Iowa

3.) Deandre Baker, CB Georgia

4.) Dre'Mont Jones, DT Ohio State

5.) Clelin Ferrell, DE Clemson

6.) D.K. Metcalf, WR Ole Miss

Stay-Aways

1.) Jawaan Taylor, OT Florida

2.) Greg Little, OT Ole Miss

3.) Jaylon Ferguson, DE Louisiana Tech

4.) Rashan Gary, DE/DT Michigan

5.) (Injury/Durability) Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma

If Drafted, Reaction would be "I'm not thrilled, but it might really be a solid/good pick" Solid/Pleasant Surprise

1.) Garrett Bradbury, C N.C.St.

2.) Darnell Savage, S Maryland

3.) Devin Bush, LB Michigan

4.) Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, NCB/S Florida

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Wilkins isn’t a JAG in my opinion. I think you need a designation for him like May never be elite but will be really solid for a long time.

He's certainly not a JAG like others on that list, but he is so in the aspect that his impact at the next level will be tremendously limited imo. You're right in that he fits best probably in a separate category of "solid guys" but i'd add one qualifier "solid rotational" guys at least to me.

He's a great rotational DT with tremendous play passion and motor as an occasional impact one-gaper that is deficient at forcefully pushing the pocket and winning consistently with technique or speed/power.

Imo.. He's not a number 1 starter nor is he a 3-tech impact 3-down starter.

On a good defense he's a great piece that helps with locker room culture, bringing energy and occasional splash penetration play while the primary starters rest. Won't be a pro-bowler, won't be an all pro, won't be a high quality starter...will be like a lot of the other guys in the league.

He will be a fantastic solid piece in a defensive line platoon on a good defense.

I really like your list. 

My two potential future pro bowlers are Deebo Samuel and Shun Brown. Deebo is going to be a stud. As crazy as it sounds, I’d draft him in the 2nd and just overload the WR core. Deebo would obviously be more of a gadget player that makes his impact on special teams, as a rookie.

Be like the 2010-2011 Packers when they drafted Cobb.

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I really like your list. 

My two potential future pro bowlers are Deebo Samuel and Shun Brown. Deebo is going to be a stud. As crazy as it sounds, I’d draft him in the 2nd and just overload the WR core. Deebo would obviously be more of a gadget player that makes his impact on special teams, as a rookie.

Be like the 2010-2011 Packers when they drafted Cobb.

I really like Deebo a lot. He's a great prospect. Unfortunately, as long as Jarvis Landry is on our team it makes even high quality utility/slot dependent WRs less meaningful in terms of their potential impact in the here and now. Jarvis is not a boundary outside WR no matter what we tried to do last year. It's a limitation that will constrain how we build our WR core for years to come.

I desperately wanted Deebo to be able to play outside, but he struggles on the boundary w/ a wide variety of the play attributes/skills required to thrive as a boundary WR1/WR2. To me, that is okay and not a big deal as his impact from the slot will be special.

I haven't really watched Brown. Is he a draftable player or more of UDFA steal?

37 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I really like Deebo a lot. He's a great prospect. Unfortunately, as long as Jarvis Landry is on our team it makes even high quality utility/slot dependent WRs less meaningful in terms of their potential impact in the here and now. Jarvis is not a boundary outside WR no matter what we tried to do last year. It's a limitation that will constrain how we build our WR core for years to come.

I desperately wanted Deebo to be able to play outside, but he struggles on the boundary w/ a wide variety of the play attributes/skills required to thrive as a boundary WR1/WR2. To me, that is okay and not a big deal as his impact from the slot will be special.

I haven't really watched Brown. Is he a draftable player or more of UDFA steal?

Brown is going to be a UDFA stud because of his size. PFF had a stat that he broke the most tackles of all WRs in college football. He’s stronger than he looks and incredibly ilusive. He did stuff like this routinely.

I disagree on both Pratt and Layne and I would be very happy to have both on the Browns just my opinion but I would like to know what makes you think that about those 2 players? 

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Got-To-Haves

1.) Jerry Tillery, DT Notre Dame

2.) Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa St.

3.) T.J. Hockenson, TE Iowa

4.) Johnathan Abram, S Mississippi State

5.) Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State

6.) Taylor Rapp, S Washington

7.) JJ Arcega Whiteside, TE-Convert Stanford (As TE Only)

JAGs

1.) Greedy Williams, CB LSU

2.) **(JAG as a 43-player; As a 34 player, he's really good)** Dexter Lawrence, DT Clemson

3.) Christian Wilkins, DT Clemson

4.) Zach Allen, DE/DT Boston College

5.) Mack Wilson, LB Alabama

6.) Germaine Pratt, LB N.C. State

7.) Parris Campbell, WR Ohio State

8.) Justin Layne, CB Michigan State

Boom/Bust:

1.) Brian Burns, DE Florida State

2.) Noah Fant, TE Iowa

3.) Deandre Baker, CB Georgia

4.) Dre'Mont Jones, DT Ohio State

5.) Clelin Ferrell, DE Clemson

6.) D.K. Metcalf, WR Ole Miss

Stay-Aways

1.) Jawaan Taylor, OT Florida

2.) Greg Little, OT Ole Miss

3.) Jaylon Ferguson, DE Louisiana Tech

4.) Rashan Gary, DE/DT Michigan

5.) (Injury/Durability) Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma

If Drafted, Reaction would be "I'm not thrilled, but it might really be a solid/good pick" Solid/Pleasant Surprise

1.) Garrett Bradbury, C N.C.St.

2.) Darnell Savage, S Maryland

3.) Devin Bush, LB Michigan

4.) Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, NCB/S Florida

@buckeyesNut0623

With Pratt, there is a lot to like; however, he gets bullied easily and pushed around and consumed by OLineman and TEs at the point of attack without fight. He doesn't forcefully run fit, and his feel for the game in the pass game is deficient.

The good news is moving him to OLB in our scheme may allow him to run and chase in ways that mask his physicality and instinct deficiencies.

With Layne, he lacks the foot quickness, foot speed, and hip flexibility to mirror match off the line and too often he panics and finds himself out of position when trying to remain in phase. Lacks critical awareness when balls in the air. He also struggles to recover when beat off the line.

Unlike Layne, Pratt can be used in ways that lead to valuable impact. On an island, Layne is just going to be in trouble.

All in all, I see them as just guys w/ Pratt possibly being more and Layne being a long-term developmental project w/ nice raw physical traits.

@Mind Character Nice work on the list, bud. It's evident a lot of thought and passion went into it. So, good on you.

I think I agree with most everyone's opinion regarding Christian Wilkins. I would elevate him into the Got to Have category. As a single player, he is a nice player. But as one of four core players in this defensive line, he makes the talent level equal to The Fearsome Foursome of the LA Rams of the 1960's. Dom. I. Nant.

The other player I would elevate to the Got to Have category is WR Parris Campbell. I know, I know, I know....... he was late to the party for growth as a WR. But the important part was he did get there. And in 2018, when he was paired with a QB capable of maximizing his skills - his growth skyrocketed. I don't get everyone's fascination that to be successful in the vertical passing game, you can only be a burner that catches passes 25 yards down the field from the line of scrimmage. I see PLENTY of 10 yard drag routes at the NFL level, that are taken to the house simply because the defenders couldn't get the angle or were dusted by the WR's straight line speed. That is Parris' calling card.

He is one of those kids that is so fast he can turn out his bedroom light and be in bed before the room gets dark.

Just my $.02

I don’t mind bringing in another receiver, but they need to be a complete player who can also help on ST.

Campbell runs drags and screens. Is there a place for those routes?  Sure, but I don’t think this team is lacking in guys who can run those routes.

Antonio Calloway is already a better receiver than Campbell and he’s almost a year younger.  There’s just nothing Campbell does appreciably better then Calloway imo.  At least not enough to burn a pick on him where he’s likely to be taken (day 2)

I feel strongly about one thing for sure: drafting a high round WR this year would be a waste for us, like drafting a high round QB this year.

DB's

LB's

OL

DL 

High upside TE

Those are the only positions I consider in the first 4 rounds this year.

I don't think Deandre Baker or Clelin Ferrell are boom or bust guys at all.

Both have elite technique and good enough physical attributes to be at least solid. Those are two of the safest players in this draft class IMO. What makes them boom or bust to you? The lack of ELITE physical talent? 

If I had to rank my top 5 safest players list it would look like this:

1. TJ Hockenson
2. Nick Bosa
3. Christian Wilkins
4. Clelin Ferrell
5. Deandre Baker

Archived