Name 'Em: Got-To-Haves, JAGs, Boom/Busts, Stay-Aways, & "Surprising Pick but Solid" Prospects

Mind Character

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Both have elite technique and good enough physical attributes to be at least solid. Those are two of the safest players in this draft class IMO. What makes them boom or bust to you? The cc? 

It has nothing to do with lack of Elite physical talent (I don't care about that); it ha everything to do with my subjective perception and evaluation of their play over within a large sample size of gameplay.

Boom/Bust as I see it means consistent high highs and low lows.

In that regard, Deandre Baker's film is the very definition of boom/bust, feast/famine imo. Over a 9 game sample size, there were serious repeated low lows having to do with the core CB play trait of awareness (grabby and panicky in trail technique and when beat off the line in press man, gets completely spun around lost due to poor technique, bad eyes and lack of even the most basic play/situational awareness) and repeated high highs that would make me feel like he'll be an All-Pro. In the league, he'll be special (boom) or be a serious liability (bust) and presently Idk which one.

With Ferrell, the Boom/Bust factor is that he'll flash strong to dominant play a few plays early then completely disappears for long stretches effort/technique/grit-wise and even worse completely disappear in 4th quarters (consistently fades as game progresses). He could be really good (boom) or JAG all star (bust).

There's a lot to like for sure though.

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

In that regard, Deandre Baker's film is the very definition of boom/bust, feast/famine imo. Over a 9 game sample size, there were serious repeated low lows having to do with the core CB play trait of awareness (grabby and panicky in trail technique and when beat off the line in press man, gets completely spun around lost due to poor technique, bad eyes and lack of even the most basic play/situational awareness) and repeated high highs that would make me feel like he'll be an All-Pro. In the league, he'll be special (boom) or be a serious liability (bust) and presently Idk which one.

I keep saying that he is a free safety. 

Keep everything in front of him and he can be aggressive. 

If he has to go up against a route runner with speed it's going to get ugly 

Got to have them (2nd round types):

Whoever falls out of the 8-10 1st round DL guys, whether it's Tillery, Simmons, or one of the "flawed" EDGE guys with concerns about bend, size, etc.

Julian Love: Average to slightly above average athlete who is very fundamentally sound and has great feet. He'd be a solid CB#2 IMO

Irv Smith/Fant: I like both of these TE prospects personally. I fear Njoku isn't ever going to be a "true TE" and block, albeit he's very young. Njoku will still be effective in the slot or even split out in the Red Zone/on 3rd downs, but either of these guys will contribute immediately as blockers and in some other double TE situations, and be ready to roll in 2020 and beyond. 

Archived