Legacy of Sashi Brown

candyman93

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Kind of implies he was the one doing the evaluation, no?

How so? Example: Just because OBJ has been better then Juice since they were drafted does not mean that Juice sucks, it just means OBJ is better. As I said Sashi didnt suck at it but Dorsey is better at it then Sashi was. I don't understand why you don't get this? 

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Kind of implies he was the one doing the evaluation, no?

Ok fair enough but he made the call on players drafted so the buck stops with him. He gets all the cheers and the flak for those picks cause they were on his watch. At least that is how I see it. 

His legacy will always be based on two actions that prevented the team from getting a QB.

1. The Wentz trade, which is still bearing fruit.

2. The McCarron trade, which is the greatest thing any GM has ever done for the Browns...

...outside of drafting Baker Mayfield 1st overall, but the work he did to gain assets to fix the team is legendary. I mean, he got a 4th rounder for a punter that got cut before the pick was made. Ate a contract to get a 2nd rounder. He just did so many weird and noteworthy things that did so much to turn this team into what it is today.

2 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

His legacy will always be based on two actions that prevented the team from getting a QB.

1. The Wentz trade, which is still bearing fruit.

2. The McCarron trade, which is the greatest thing any GM has ever done for the Browns...

...outside of drafting Baker Mayfield 1st overall, but the work he did to gain assets to fix the team is legendary. I mean, he got a 4th rounder for a punter that got cut before the pick was made. Ate a contract to get a 2nd rounder. He just did so many weird and noteworthy things that did so much to turn this team into what it is today.

I will never forget that moron Bill Polian crapping on the Brock Osweiller trade. Hey Bill, this is what happens when you do things smart and different.

5 hours ago, mistakey said:

Definitely the step dad that we needed to make us eat our vegetables and instill good habits until mom divorced him and married a new fun step dad that buys us PlayStations 

goat comment I wish we still had sigs so I can make this one mine lmao 

5 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I could say the same about your wife 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c9401d2467970346f

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c9401fb4c64575336

One of the elite gifs. 

Also, per forum bi-laws (not here to judge lifestyle), it is not acceptable for posters to misquote Tayne. Consider this an official warning.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is why Dorsey was the perfect man for the job at the perfect time for the Cleveland Browns.

First and foremost - he has EMPHATICALLY delivered on his resume. He is not batting 1.000 - but his BA is way up there. Because Dorsey knows how to rebuild a roster - he has done it before. His experience shows.

When Sashi came into power, we were all introduced to the word "analytics". It really became a lightning rod for mockery for the national media. The reason that Sashi's approach ultimately didn't work and he was replaced was he was all about analytics and only analytics.

Spreadsheets are the backbone of analytics. Analytics, by definition, means you analyze the data in front of you. I use spreadsheets all day long in my job as a buyer. Very helpful tool. But if your spreadsheets are not designed correctly, or you fail to interpret the information you are looking at - they are useless. That was Sashi's downfall, I think. He tried to replace hard core scouting with analytics and analytics only - while not totally understanding what he was looking at. Don't get me wrong - Sashi is a bright man. In the NFL, he was in the wrong arena for his skill set, and in way over his head.

Enter John Dorsey. I will never forget the first statement he said when he was talking about when scouting a player. Never doubt what your eyes are seeing. Whoa. Dude has some chops when it comes to scouting. Then we come to find out the Dorsey LOVES analytics. After I groaned for fear of a return to the Sashi era - I realized that analytics are in their proper place with Dorsey. What he sees, and/or the reports of his scouts come first. A solid opinion is formed about the player. THEN, and only then, do analytics come into play. If he is on the fence about a player, analytics are used to help make the decision about that player.

I understand there are times that you "throw the book out the window" when you select a player because you have a feeling about that player. But should only comes after years of scouting and drafting players that has become your personal track record. Sashi was far too inexperienced for him to achieve that, and he made too many questionable calls on players. That was what eventually sunk him in Cleveland.

@brooks1957 where to begin..

Sashi wasn’t scouting guys, that was Andrew Berry and Ryan Grigson.  One was a former ex of the year (although he prolly didn’t deserve it) and the other was Andrew Berry, who is the VP of Football Operations for the Eagles and was retained by Dorsey.  More Berry than Grigson.  There was no lack of experience or lack of a “real football guy” at the top.

Anyone who thinks analytics is an issue clearly doesn’t understand analytics.  Or business. Or sports.  Here’s an example I like to use.

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/7/5683448/how-nfl-teams-ignore-basic-economics-and-draft-players-irrationally

It’s nothing more than using factual data as the basis for future decisions as opposed to irrational gut instincts.  I’m not sure what’s not to like there.

Comparing the draft classes of Sashi to Dorsey at face value removes any and all context.  The first class Sashi brought in walked into the least talented locker room in the league, and the second wasn’t a ton better.  Dorsey inherited much more talent than Sashi did. This also plays a large role in the success of draft picks imo.

They also had the unfortunate anchor of Hue Jackson around their necks.  Don’t think that matters?  Look at the first 8 games last season.

Also, all these big, expensive moves Dorsey is making is possible because of the moves Sashi made previously.  Sashi inherited the most expensive defense in the NFL which also managed to be bottom 5 in production.  You’re comparing the results of a guy who essentially had to work and save for a project vs a guy given a 9 figure blank check to complete it.

Archived