Google officially entering gaming business with cloud gaming

rob_shadows

9 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

It might take off in certain instances or in dense population centers, or places like Seoul, but it's not going to flat out replace personal hardware anytime remotely soon.

Not only that, but how much will it cost? Assuming it's subscription based, that means you don't own any of the games and they can be gone at any point. You're also required to have a constant internet connection not just a fast one. I have internet speeds that could handle it but I don't think I'd do it.

My connection could do it if it's just me, but probably not if multiple roommates are also gaming.  A lot of young people that play a lot of games are college students or recently out of college, and living in some shared housing situation where that connection is split between maybe 3-4 people.

11 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Need SpaceX’s Starlink internet

Satellite based broadband isn't practical for gaming services, latency is far too high. Starlink (and other satellite based broadband services) is fine for general internet usage but anything where latency lag is an issue isn't really an option as satellite based internet is the worst there is when it comes to latency (and by a wide margin).

18 hours ago, showtime said:

You guys have to remember, there is more to this world than just the United States.  This service won't really be great here since the average person's internet speed is terrible.  But there are certain cities that have pulled together and brought some amazing internet to their part of the country.  The people of Cedar Falls, Iowa have come together and got faster broadband.  Internet speeds there are on par with some of the fastest speeds on earth.  There are other cities in the United States that have done this, Cedar Falls is just one example.

But this could really be a good thing in other countries.  For example, Seoul, South Korea might have the fastest internet speeds in the world on a person-per-person basis on average.  This streaming service might really take off there.

There is also a difference between bandwidth and latency. You can have gigabit bandwidth, but unless you are located near (and have efficient routing to) one of the distributed computing servers, all the bandwidth in the world won't help with latency. 

Latency is bad enough on current online games, but with distributed computing, input delay is going to be even more frustrating. 

27 minutes ago, theJ said:

Maybe something Verizon's 5G service will solve?  Latency will probably good, and the speeds (if they hit what is advertised) should be good enough.

It's my understanding that 5G signal strength and range is considerably lower than previous generations of wireless tech which will require significantly more broadcast points meaning it'll likely be quite a while before coverage is widely available. 

2 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

It's my understanding that 5G signal strength and range is considerably lower than previous generations of wireless tech which will require significantly more broadcast points meaning it'll likely be quite a while before coverage is widely available. 

That's correct from my understanding too.  Verizon and AT&T are in a bit of a race to the moon, so that'll help somewhat.  I'm betting 3 years before it's available in all major cities.  Maybe 6-8 years before it reaches some of the rural areas.

By then we'll be on 6G haha.

So according to an interview it sounds like the minimum speed required is 20 megabits per second for 1080p 60FPS and 30 megabits per second for 4K. So it's basically as we already said... If you live in a major population area where fast internet is no problem you'll be fine.

But for people who live out in the country like me...There is no option for internet that gets anywhere close to that speed.

Archived