2019 MLB Regular Season Discussion

Thelonebillsfan

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a little surprised the camps in the DR don't also teach them English. If the whole point is to get them to USA you'd think learning the main language would be a benefit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a little surprised the camps in the DR don't also teach them English. If the whole point is to get them to USA you'd think learning the main language would be a benefit.

Ehhhhh, that's time that could be spent working out so that the owner instructors can get their stipend.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Some can but there's a big difference between basic English for baseball and speaking it fluently in an interview on national TV. 

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Ehhhhh, that's time that could be spent working out so that the owner instructors can get their stipend.

You can't work out that much or you'll break. Even an hour every practice/workout session would be enough. Probably wouldn't even need that much.

Just now, mse326 said:

You can't work out that much or you'll break. Even an hour every practice/workout session would be enough. Probably wouldn't even need that much.

FWIW they do teach conversational English fundamentals. But a lot of these guys don't feel comfortable interviewing and their teams would prefer to just have them speak Spanish than choppy English and stumble over the wording.