2019 MLB Regular Season Discussion

Thelonebillsfan

1 hour ago, BrownieTheElf said:

Random question: best site to show WAR through a certain age? I’ve been trying on my phone to find something but having trouble with Baseball Reference. It has almost every stat but WAR for that specification. Or at least I can’t find it.

Try this

Just change the age filter for whatever you were looking for, I have it through 25 in that above link. 

You can do it on BRef but I think you have to pay for the Play Index. 

EDIT: Updated the link so the amount of PA needed to qualify is 0.  If you leave it on Qualified, Mike Trout doesn't have enough ABs to be on the list through age 20 even though he's in 2nd (in 700 less PA than Mel Ott who is in 1st)  

Edited by flyers0909
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Try this

Just change the age filter for whatever you were looking for, I have it through 25 in that above link. 

You can do it on BRef but I think you have to pay for the Play Index. 

EDIT: Updated the link so the amount of PA needed to qualify is 0.  If you leave it on Qualified, Mike Trout doesn't have enough ABs to be on the list through age 20 even though he's in 2nd (in 700 less PA than Mel Ott who is in 1st)  

Thank you. I was trying to compare where Harper was at this age. Someone told me who wasn’t elite and it bothered me. People forget how young he is and what he’s accomplished so far is pretty dang solid.

50 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

What's your guys' thoughts on hitting your best hitter in the 2-hole? The Cardinals are batting Goldy there and I love it. Just wanted to get some feedback I guess. 

It depends who you have to put behind him IMO. I like having Judge hitting 2nd because he gets on base so often and he has the likes of Stanton behind him. In a weaker lineup I’d probably rather have my best guy hitting third.

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

What's your guys' thoughts on hitting your best hitter in the 2-hole? The Cardinals are batting Goldy there and I love it. Just wanted to get some feedback I guess. 

If it’s a guy who is good at making contact, situationally advancing/moving runners, and walks a lot while hitting a lot of singles/doubles then I think it’s a good move (See: Joey Votto, Tony Gwynn). I’m not hitting Trout, Bonds, Griffey, etc. there because you’re probably leaving a lot of RBIs on the board.

However there is something to be said for the higher someone bats in the lineup the more opportunities and at bats they will have, which is why my best hitter would always hit 3rd and 2nd best would always hit leadoff, with the above type of player hitting second.

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If it’s a guy who is good at making contact, situationally advancing/moving runners, and walks a lot while hitting a lot of singles/doubles then I think it’s a good move (See: Joey Votto, Tony Gwynn). I’m not hitting Trout, Bonds, Griffey, etc. there because you’re probably leaving a lot of RBIs on the board.

However there is something to be said for the higher someone bats in the lineup the more opportunities and at bats they will have, which is why my best hitter would always hit 3rd and 2nd best would always hit leadoff, with the above type of player hitting second.

I think in running simulations it has been determined that your best OBP guy should bat 2nd. If he also has power and there is someone else close in OBP they can go 2nd and him to 4th. 1st is your next best OBP guy (2nd best if your best is in the 2 hole). 3rd and 5th are the next tier down.

Yeah, it depends on the team with the #2 hitter. Personally, I'd do it. The leadoff guy is usually a speedy guy. If he's on base and then your #2 guy comes up and gets a hit chances are you could get a run during the 1st inning of the game.