Is it just me or players don't stay with teams very long now

orpheus200

You can blame that some on the constant coaching/FO turnover. New coaches, regimes, ECT always want "their guys" which results results in more roster turnover.

Plus a contract/ trade value is often given to a player because of what they are doing at that moment. Fast forward 3-4 years and it's likely the team is not in the same position they once were so they look for cuts/trades.

10 hours ago, orpheus200 said:

Seemed like players stayed with teams forever. Can't imagine buying a players jersey.

I won’t buy a player jersey again. I bought a  Brandon Flowers jersey after he signed his new deal in KC. Within two years iirc he was no longer on the team. I was lucky my Derrick Johnson one held up for so long. 

I was given a Mahomes jersey for Christmas that I didn’t ask for. I’ll wear it but I wish they wouldn’t have paid the money for it. At least it appears he’ll be with the team long term. 

25 minutes ago, patman said:

Well  I don't understand why a grown man wears a jersey with some guys name on it.

To an extent I agree. Personally I would only ever wear a jersey on game day.

However, some players are more than simply players. Some guys do more for a community than simply play a game. JJ Watt in Houston raised millions of dollars to help a devastated community. Derrick Thomas, even in death, still has his 3rd and Long Foundation going which helps children learn to read or get scholarships plus all the food drives and luncheons they hold. WR Brandon Marshall started the Project Borderline Foundation to help those with borderline personality disorder, which he also has. Larry Fitzgerald has his First Down Fund which helps kids around the world play sports. Guys like Pat Mahomes or Baker Mayfield have given fans a sense of hope that their teams won't be bottom feeders. While that's on the field, the fans watch and get to escape reality for a while which is WAY better when your team wins. I guarantee there are people out there who smile and get a little excited when thinking about those players playing next year. It boosts their mood today and likely in the future as well.

Point is, it isn't really any different than wearing clothing supporting other things you like; MAGA hats, "Feel the Bern" shirts, Jack Daniels hats, Dale Earnhardt shirts, etc.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

To an extent I agree. Personally I would only ever wear a jersey on game day.

However, some players are more than simply players. Some guys do more for a community than simply play a game. JJ Watt in Houston raised millions of dollars to help a devastated community. Derrick Thomas, even in death, still has his 3rd and Long Foundation going which helps children learn to read or get scholarships plus all the food drives and luncheons they hold. WR Brandon Marshall started the Project Borderline Foundation to help those with borderline personality disorder, which he also has. Larry Fitzgerald has his First Down Fund which helps kids around the world play sports. Guys like Pat Mahomes or Baker Mayfield have given fans a sense of hope that their teams won't be bottom feeders. While that's on the field, the fans watch and get to escape reality for a while which is WAY better when your team wins. I guarantee there are people out there who smile and get a little excited when thinking about those players playing next year. It boosts their mood today and likely in the future as well.

Point is, it isn't really any different than wearing clothing supporting other things you like; MAGA hats, "Feel the Bern" shirts, Jack Daniels hats, Dale Earnhardt shirts, etc.

I just don't understand it.  I have patriot gear that people buy me for christmas/Birthdays etc- sweatshirts and stuff.  But a jersey with another man's name on it just always struck me as weird.  although my 90 yo aunt has a Ted Williams jersey

with the increasing salary cap, veteran contracts are getting more and more expensive. for example, the cardinals entire rookie class this year will have a cap hit of ~$12,500,00, which includes the first overall pick which should be a pro-bowl level player plus other high picks (2nd, 3rd rounders) which could be starting-level within a year or two.

or with that money they could sign two mid-level starters. for comparison, sheldon richardson signed a deal this offseason with an AAV of ~$12,000,000. he's a good player but not elite or game-changing, and i think it's likely there's a handful of first round picks this year that will have more impact than him in 2019.

i absolutely love what the patriots do. they trade away their good players on rookie contracts (jamie collins, chandler jones) right before they are due to be paid veteran salaries and get picks in return. if they let them go, they get compensatory picks in return. it makes so much more sense to have an average starter on a rookie salary at ~$1-2 million as opposed to an average starter on a veteran salary at ~$5 million. with the leftover money they sign veteran players to short, one-year deals. there's more turnover with this philosophy so coaching is very important but it maximizes the salaries on the roster.

Nope, I made a thread about a year ago on the same thing.

I'm a football fan and love following the NFL, but I am also a fan of the NHL, and NBA.

The NFL is awful in regards to player/team retention compared to those 2 leagues. It's been going downhill since the 2011 CBA. It's sad because I feel like a large part of the fan base really only feels loyal to their teams franchise QB (assuming they have one) from a roster perspective, and everyone else is extremely expendable.

What's also funny is how much value NFL teams place on draft picks compared to basically every other league, ever. NFL front offices, The NFL Network, ESPN, pundits, sports writers, and even us on the forums treat the draft process like it's a holy pilgrimage. Franchise players are traded for 1st round picks like whatever. We have a Combine stretched over a week now, and all of the 'pro days', Senior Bowl, etc, yet, when you look at how many 1st and 2nd rounders from recent draft years aren't even on the teams that drafted them anymore,  you realize quickly it's all manufactured, artificial nonsense. The NBA and NHL are at least honest with themselves with this.

Going back to the 90/00's era salary cap would be preferred in my opinion.

Archived