Josh Norman

Ghostnote

Can anyone please tell me why is considered to be one of the top CB's in the league, yet he seems to always get beat? A.J. Green was abusing him. He got shook by Joe Mixon instead of laying the lumber. For some reason, I cannot understand what the hype about him is. 

I have not seen what he adds to the defense if he is:

a. not shadowing THE #1 WR

b. not creating turnovers

c. Getting paid $$$$$$$$$$$ to do both a and b and is not doing it at all. 

Please enlighten me. 

6 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Can anyone please tell me why is considered to be one of the top CB's in the league, yet he seems to always get beat? A.J. Green was abusing him. He got shook by Joe Mixon instead of laying the lumber. For some reason, I cannot understand what the hype about him is. 

Please enlighten me. 

A.  Well that was because our DC was a moron.  Not Norman's fault if he's being told to stay on one side of the field.  

B. Our defense doesn't create a lot of pressure, and pressure causes turnovers.  A DB can only do so much.  

C. He's still far and away the best defensive back we have on the team, and the best CB we've had since Sean Springs.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

A.  Well that was because our DC was a moron.  Not Norman's fault if he's being told to stay on one side of the field.  

B. Our defense doesn't create a lot of pressure, and pressure causes turnovers.  A DB can only do so much.  

C. He's still far and away the best defensive back we have on the team, and the best CB we've had since Sean Springs.  

Oh, don't get me wrong, he is light years ahead of Breeland and Fuller. But I still just don't see the hype. Teams don't even throw to Richard Shermans side of the field, but yet, Josh Norman gets tested..ALOT. 

yes. He is a top 10 cornerback. That's what I thought he was and that's the way he is playing. He has a physical style. He's not a Darrell Green cornerback that will use his quickness and speed to shut you down. Hes more like a combo of Michael Haynes and Lester Hayes.  Hes even not a champ Bailey, but he is very good. Norman is a eager and effective force in both pass defense and run defense. The old saying is true "No Pass rush, No pass defense". Plus a corner has to work well with his linebackers and safety's. We have had perhaps the worst cover linebackers in the NFL for several years making every TE look like a Hall of Famer. We have well documented problems at safety and our slot cornerback is a weak spot for us for many years. Contrast that with the Panthers that had a  dominant defensive line and linebackers. Norman is the equivalent of an small Oasis in the Desert in our defensive backfield- he will make you feel a little better, but may not quench your thirst long term. 

I can't, I've been saying this for 2 years. I think he's a good corner but I don't think he's elite and he has a problem with penalties. He's definitely not worth the qb money we are paying himnover the next 2 years.

He was getting beat by not only Green on Sunday but also by the Bengals back up qb Croft. If Dalton had thrown better balls, Norman would have given up several more receptions, 2 of which to Croft.

He is a physical corner but in today's touchy feely NFL that's a detriment except at the line of scrimmage. He also doesn't have good top end speed. He and Breeland are very similar except Norman is more agreesive, plays with better technique and is more confident but size, speed and lack of good ball skills they are similar.

Like someone mentioned earlier, he's not exactly the fastest CB in the world. It took him a few years to make a name for himself in the league because he needed to figure out how to win without being able to just flat out run with everyone. He wins by being physical, so if he doesn't get his hands on a WR, he can be beat. The thing is, he's really good at getting his hands on WR's so he's been a pretty good CB the past few years. But the best WR's in the game who know the tricks of the trade seem to give him some trouble. Guys like AJ Green are going to give everyone trouble though.

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Like someone mentioned earlier, he's not exactly the fastest CB in the world. It took him a few years to make a name for himself in the league because he needed to figure out how to win without being able to just flat out run with everyone. He wins by being physical, so if he doesn't get his hands on a WR, he can be beat. The thing is, he's really good at getting his hands on WR's so he's been a pretty good CB the past few years. But the best WR's in the game who know the tricks of the trade seem to give him some trouble. Guys like AJ Green are going to give everyone trouble though.

He also needs to watch the hands to the face. That killed him last year especially vs Aj Green.

41 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, he is light years ahead of Breeland and Fuller. But I still just don't see the hype. Teams don't even throw to Richard Shermans side of the field, but yet, Josh Norman gets tested..ALOT. 

Wasn't Sherman getting roasted last year? I swear I can remember people saying he was getting torched last season. 

54 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Please enlighten me. 

A. He doesn't call the defense and he was just as irritated that he wasn't allowed to shadow a teams top receiver in Barry's awful defense.

B. Didn't he lead the team in interceptions last season? I'm pretty sure he also forced a few fumbles. 

C. He's getting paid because he IS a top 10 corner and the days of shut down corners has come and gone. It's simply impossible with the way the rules are put in to completely shut down a top receiver. 

You cannot make any kind of conclusion based on the talent around him last season and the atrocious coaching. InB4 turtle claims Barry was a good coach. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Wasn't Sherman getting roasted last year? I swear I can remember people saying he was getting torched last season. 

Yes, he was. I think Sherman is a bit overrated as well. Sherman plays 1 side of the field and doesn't travel with the opposing teams best wr. The Seahawks play zone almost every play and he has arguably the best FS in the NFL playing behind him.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

A. He doesn't call the defense and he was just as irritated that he wasn't allowed to shadow a teams top receiver in Barry's awful defense.

B. Didn't he lead the team in interceptions last season? I'm pretty sure he also forced a few fumbles. 

C. He's getting paid because he IS a top 10 corner and the days of shut down corners has come and gone. It's simply impossible with the way the rules are put in to completely shut down a top receiver. 

You cannot make any kind of conclusion based on the talent around him last season and the atrocious coaching. InB4 turtle claims Barry was a good coach. 

I never said Barry was a good coach, I said the lack of talent on our defense ever since 2011 has been more of an issue than the coordinators.

Archived