Is Stadia the Future of Gaming?

MKnight82

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/18273977/google-stadia-cloud-game-streaming-service-report 

“The future of gaming is not a box,” according to Google. “It’s a place.” Just like how humans have built stadiums for sports over hundreds of years, Google believes it’s building a virtual stadium, aptly dubbed Stadia, for the future of games to be played anywhere. You won’t need an expensive gaming PC or a dedicated game console. Instead, you’ll just need access to Google’s Chrome browser to instantly play games on a phone, tablet, PC, or TV. It’s a bold vision for where gaming is heading, and Google hopes its Stadia cloud streaming service will make it a reality.

edit - oops, I didn't see the other thread on this.  I'm really curious if this works how it will apply to other fields.  Microsoft has already been pushing cloud based Office for years.  With there be no more hardware?  Will desktops and laptops cease to exist?  Will all you need is a tablet screen or TV, a good internet connection and a subscription?  

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If you have a fantastic internet connection with almost no latency, then sure.

For 99% of people, no. 

Now, this is ahead of its time.  10-15 years from now there could be no hardware.  Do you still own a CD Player? 

22 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

If you have a fantastic internet connection with almost no latency, then sure.

For 99% of people, no. 

I'm wondering if 5g service will make this more usable for the masses.  For the US at least, i don't see how they're going to distribute physical lines widely enough to reach a critical mass.

I'm wondering if they are gonna be able to sustain it if people are only interested in paying for a service rather then buying equipment that fuels competition between tech companies and inspires that innovation to make better devices. 

Eventually. Stadia might not be it, but sometime in the future sure. All computing will be cloud based eventually, it's already implemented and Amazon offers this service today.

I think this works if you play a lot of single player games that you're not looking to replay and don't care about performance. Games like Uncharted and Mario, it's not a big deal if there's a slight delay when you press a button. For competitive online games it's basically unplayable.

Archived