Vikings Sign Josh Kline

SemperFeist

Was reading up some on the signing, sounds like there was a poor offensive line situation where Kline regressed last year. And I think we saw with the Vikings what a poor or changing offensive line coaching can do, unfortunately, I think he'll be a slightly better than average OG, but I'm cool with that, and I like only needing to get an OL early, and probably a couple mid in the draft, versus having it to be just OL at the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Was reading up some on the signing, sounds like there was a poor offensive line situation where Kline regressed last year. And I think we saw with the Vikings what a poor or changing offensive line coaching can do, unfortunately, I think he'll be a slightly better than average OG, but I'm cool with that, and I like only needing to get an OL early, and probably a couple mid in the draft, versus having it to be just OL at the top.

Isn't slightly better than average where Kline was at during his peak. Can he be that good again? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

If we had kept Remmers on the contract he had then yes he would have been the unquestioned starter as I believe it to sort of be not in reality to believe that contract was given for a backup player.

That contract would not have made him the unquestioned starter. All his contract did was mean that if Remmers lost the (inevitable) camp competition either the team would have to cut him at that point or Remmers would have to agree to take a pay cut.

Sounds like he's going to be somewhere between an average OG and in the top 40%.  That's okay to buy some time to fill later with a developed drafted player.  I like that he seems to have a good work ethic, and desire to become a better player.  That takes away the pressure on The Vikings to draft OL with their top 3 choices.  Now, perhaps they can fit a DT in there, if the fit is right.

Edited by Robb_K

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I disagree 100% with this statement.

They still need to draft at least 1 iOL in the first TWO rounds.

Not a single IOL under contract has earned an unquestioned starting spot. Even Kline or Pat Elflein. Elflein could even end up at G. I think it's prudent to get two IOL by round four. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not a single IOL under contract has earned an unquestioned starting spot. Even Kline or Pat Elflein. Elflein could even end up at G. I think it's prudent to get two IOL by round four. 

For me, Ideally I'd like to see a OL, TE, and WR in the first 3 and then another OL in the 4th. 

Just now, byuvike88 said:

For me, Ideally I'd like to see a OL, TE, and WR in the first 3 and then another OL in the 4th. 

I'd prefer to see a DE or DT by round four just to keep the talent strong there. I'd hope to get a decent third WR before the draft, Aldrick Robinson even.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I'd prefer to see a DE or DT by round four just to keep the talent strong there. I'd hope to get a decent third WR before the draft, Aldrick Robinson even.

I just don't see Robinson as a decent 3rd option. I think he is a good 4th, but too many times down the stretch, teams took away Thielen and Diggs and the Vikings had no answer.

I would love to see another DT or DE if they can trade back and gain an addition 3rd or 4th, but they've spent back to back 4th round picks on defense, and have used what little cap space they have had this off season on defense. This team failed to make the playoffs last year because their offense couldn't move the ball consistently down the stretch. As bad as the line was last year, the skill position depth is lacking. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

I just don't see Robinson as a decent 3rd option. I think he is a good 4th, but too many times down the stretch, teams took away Thielen and Diggs and the Vikings had no answer.

I would love to see another DT or DE if they can trade back and gain an addition 3rd or 4th, but they've spent back to back 4th round picks on defense, and have used what little cap space they have had this off season on defense. This team failed to make the playoffs last year because their offense couldn't move the ball consistently down the stretch. As bad as the line was last year, the skill position depth is lacking. 

I see your point, but in my personal opinion I'd rather have TE or WR in the first three rounds, not both unless there's great value. If we take a TE, I'd hope Zylstra or Beebe would step up, if we take WR I'd hope Conklin steps up.