What would you think of this?

Magnus-Viktor

Lets say that on draft day, a stud OLB like Burns was available, but no ILB was worth taking.  Do you think Watt would be a good ILB in a 34, in the Brian Cushing mold, or maybe even Chad Brown, and that would be one way to fix up ILB to an extent?  I think he'd be an ideal blitzer up the gut, and he has good length and he's a good athlete.  He's never going to be a dominant sack master (like Von Miller or his brother with 20+ sacks......13 is really good, but not elite is what I mean).  So just wondering what you guys think, and if that would be 1 way to fix up the talent at LB, by taking the BPA and putting guys at new positions just to get the best players on the field.  

Coming out of the draft, I had watched TJ Watt a lot at Wisconsin, and they lined him up similar to where a 34 ILB would be positioned, or how Mike Zimmer uses LBs to "sugar the A-gaps", so I thought he could be a Brian Cushing type 34 ILB.  So that's part of what got me to thinking this, along with the much greater chance for a stud 34 OLB to be available in 1 than a stud 34 ILB.  

So if you had these 2 choices, which would it be:

A:
OLB:  Brian Burns & Bud Dupree
ILB:  TJ Watt & Mark Barron/Vince Williams (I assume that Williams would be the run stuffer and Barron the coverage guy, rotating situationally to an extent)

or

B:
OLB:  TJ Watt & Bud Dupree
ILB:  Devin Bush & Mark Barron/Vince Williams (I assume that Williams would be the run stuffer and Barron the coverage guy, rotating situationally to an extent)

Option A = much more pass rushing with Watt blitzing up the gut.

Option B = much more coverage with Barron and Bush both being coverage guys.  

Archived