Why I Think Mariota Is Good Enough To Be Our QBOF If Stays Healthy

The Robfather

A lot of football fans not just Titan fans but others as well really seem to be down on Mariota or simply think he isn't good enough. A lot of the frustration has to do with missed games.

The issue of durability and missing too many games is way overblown, He did miss 4 games his rookie year but then in '16 he missed just 1 game,'17 missed just 1 game and last year only missed 2. Altogether in his first 4 seasons he played 56 out of 64 games only missing 8 games or any avg. of just 2 games missed per year. There are many QB's that have missed way more than Mariota such as Carson Wentz,Andrew Luck,Aaron Rodgers,etc.

I am about to list some of Mariota's accomplishments BUT if i just listed the accomplishments without listing who it is a boatload of people would say they would love to have that QB.

Anyway here we go.....

Thats a lot of accomplishments below for a 4 year QB and in my opinion Mariota is clutch as they come when the game is on the line.

3 straight winning seasons

12 game winning drives/10 fourth quarter comebacks

In '18 ranked 1st in 3rd & long situations,5th in 3rd down conversions,6th in completion %

Was Top 5 QB under pressure for '18 and '17

Since 2000 Mariota has the best QB rating 106.4 of all NFL QB's during primetime games better than Brady,Brees,Rodgers,etc.

Mariota has beat Brady,Brees,Rodgers,Wilson

Had biggest playoff comeback win for a road QB in NFL history at Kansas City

In his first 22 career games Mariota had 6 four-TD games and 9 games with 100 passer rating/multiple TD’s was first QB in NFL history to do so

1 of 5 QBs in NFL history with 10,000-plus pass yards and 1,000-plus rush yards in first 4 seasons

Mariota's 95.7% completion rate 22 of 23 passing at Houston was the second highest-completion percentage in NFL history

First player NFL history with 250+ pass yds, 100+ rush yds & 3 TD passes in a game

First NFL player since Walter Payton in 1983 to pass for a TD, rush for a TD and catch a TD pass of at least 40 yards

Scored 35 points in 1st half vs. Bucs most in a half for '15

Scored 35 points in 1st half vs. Packers most in a half for '16

First rookie QB in NFL history to have two games with 4 TDs and no INTs

Four games with 3 or more TDs tied Peyton Manning (1998) as most ever by a rookie QB

Mariota's 87 yard run was longest NFL run of 2015

Youngest QB in NFL history with perfect passer rating 158.3 in his very first game

First QB in NFL history with perfect passer rating 158.3 in his very first game

First QB in NFL history to throw 4 TD passes in first half of his NFL debut.

I actually think we will have a good year this season. I think we have a lot of positives and good people in the right places.  We are already paying him $20 million this season. I can see us continue on with that.  4 years $88-90 Million. If does pretty much the same thing he has done his whole career. 

5 years $120 Million if he stays healthy and plays well. 

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

it comes down to 2 things for me regarding Marcus

1. can he stay healthy

2. will we ever play to his strengths and put him in a position to succeed?

I feel like we have an answer to question 1 already.  He can't.  That said, I agree in part with the OP: that's something you can work with in a franchise QB.  If nothing else, Flacco and Eli proved you can have a franchise QB, and even win superbowls, without them being elite.

The second is tougher.  Mariota has suffered from a combination of bad luck, injuries, and IIRC, never having the same offensive coordinator for more than a year.  He does do some things very well.  For instance, Mariota does very well on third downs, which is one of the most important things in a QB.  He also does have quite a few game winning drives to his name, and generally seems to play better in the clutch.

He also does some things very poorly.  He's responsible for way too many turnovers, and generally doesn't play very consistently (sometimes he looks godly, other times he looks clueless)

I think if you look at Mariota as an elite, face of a franchise QB, you'll be disappointed.  But IMO, he definitely can be a good enough QB to build around and win with.

If No. 1 continues to be a problem (but doesn't get worse than 2 or 3 games a season), and No. 2 shows promise, it'll be a very interesting contract negotiation process.  QBs aren't easy to find, so I imagine the FO will want to keep him, but the trend of making every QB up for a contract renewal the highest paid player in the league is going to have to come to a halt this year.  There are too many QBs that are in similar situations to Mariota whose rookie contracts are up.  Either the trend ends, or a whole bunch of teams are gonna sink themselves with mediocre QBs like the Ravens did.

14 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Me waiting for @TitanSS @ttitansfan4life to walk up in here and burn this post to the ground.  :)

Image result for popcorn gif

Haha I haven't been around much. I went back to school to get my masters and I am always busy.

I barely paid attention to FA and the Combine which is a first in like 10 years.

I hope he plays well enough that we have to pay him, but as I say that I also wished he'd play well enough that people were trying to hire LaFleur as a HC and we saw how well that was lol.

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/marcus-mariota-was-more-injured-than-we-knew-in-2018

The list:

- ulnar nerve 

- neck stinger

- cracked vertebrae

- plantar fascia tear

- strained oblique

- cracked rib

- sprained AC joint

Which all leads to the obvious question that we have debated - does this excuse his poor play or is he too injury prone to be an nfl quarterback?

12 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/marcus-mariota-was-more-injured-than-we-knew-in-2018

The list:

- ulnar nerve 

- neck stinger

- cracked vertebrae

- plantar fascia tear

- strained oblique

- cracked rib

- sprained AC joint

Which all leads to the obvious question that we have debated - does this excuse his poor play or is he too injury prone to be an nfl quarterback?

Yes 

19 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

The list:

- ulnar nerve 

- neck stinger

- cracked vertebrae

- plantar fascia tear

- strained oblique

- cracked rib

- sprained AC joint

Just shows how injury prone he is... He might be a solid QB when he’s fully healthy but when is that? 1 drive into the season and he has some kind of injury.

22 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

The list:

- ulnar nerve 

- neck stinger

- cracked vertebrae

- plantar fascia tear

- strained oblique

- cracked rib

- sprained AC joint

That’s unbelievable... Really does sort of remind you of McNair except we always knew what injuries he was dealing with

Archived