Cordarrelle Patterson And The Jet Sweep

soulman

This is where he has the ability to make some field flipping and game changing plays Gabriel simply isn't able to do at his size and with his lack of running skills.  These are things Belicheat took advantage of and hope fully Nagy can do the same.  Jets and Bubble Screens are Patterson's game offensively.

Before I get to more thoughts on Patterson let me say that I believe that explosion in NFL points last couple of years and last year especially has as much or more to do with change in offensive philosophy as rules changes.

NFL coaches are finally, finally running college/high school spread option concepts and they are just as difficult for NFL defenses to deal with as they are for high school and college defenses.  Less so because QBs are less of a threat to run and more so because QBs are so much better at executing the passing concept outside of the run option.

I credit Chip Kelly first for having guts to try and experiment with different concepts in Philadelphia at NFL level in face of incredibly national media criticism and Andy Reid 2nd for quickly adapting it and implementing and merging it into his own offense.

I am always a fan of experimentation and outside the box thinking.  Even though it often fails.  Without it there is stagnation and for me boredom, plus I just admire those risk takers. 

• Like 1

Speaking of outside the box.

I remember back when Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne were brought into NY together.   Thunder and Lightening they were dubbed.  Dayne was supposed to be the 'feature back' who got the bulk of the carries and Barber the receiver/RB 3rd down and sweep back.

Well they eventually figured out that if they made the 3rd down back the feature back the offense was much more effective.  Part of that was just Dayne wasn't that good in NFL, so it isn't the best example, but it still illustrates where I am going with this post.

Last two years the conventional wisdom was that Howard would be feature back and Cohen the 3rd down type back.  Eventually the Bears too kind of figured out that better things happened with Cohen on the field versus Howard and Cohen's reps steadily increased.  (Not looking up stats to back this up, just going off memory of watching games. If it didn't actually happen it should have.)

A lot of us are trying to figure out who our feature back is going to be because of Howard's limited effectiveness last year.  I say you already have one in Cohen.  Cohen should be your starting or 'feature' back.  

Now it is a fair point that many will say he is too little to take the pounding of that many touches.  That is fair.  I think a lot of back injuries are knee injuries though.  And Cohen being small isn't any more susceptible to those than a big back.  Maybe less so.  

This brings me to Patterson.  Patterson is not as overall skilled as Cohen, but he has same skill set, he is RB/WR hybrid, and he is 230 lbs. so he is better suited for Gap/power and IZ. 

In past Patterson/Cohen (Cohen less so last year) were the gimmick guys. Patterson gets 10 plays a game.  Cohen gets more now, but that was his role too.  I think like Cohen, and this is outside the box thinking, that there is no reason not to up Patterson's reps considerably as well.  

Every time a Patterson/Cohen or both is on the field they have to be paid attention to.  They demand defensive attention because they are match up problems.  Why not have them out there more?  

You can have Patterson at T and Cohen running fly sweep and run all the plays off that or have Patterson at WR and Cohen at T.   What defensive personnel do you put in the game?  You have to be in Nickel or you have a player on field that can't cover Cohen or Patterson or someone and being in Nickel makes it easier to run.

Forcing teams into Nickel against run personnel is McVay's whole philosophy in a nut shell.  He isn't a passing coach.  He is a running coach.  He is fooling media.

• Like 1

Glad to see this topic is encouraging even more input from those who coach or play the game and can expound on it technically far better than I can.

IMHO as a KOR and #4 WR alone Patterson has value but as a Wild Card RB whose big enough to take on that role in partnership with Cohen the two of them can be a nightmare for a DC to defense.

Patterson can't give out the jiggity jiggity moves Cohen can but he's big and fast and experienced at reading his blocks.  GB made good use of a hybrid WR/RB with Ty Montgomery for awhile and Patterson is bigger and faster.

Like RunningVaccs, after watching how others have used Patterson before and what he added to the Pats offense and ST I can easily see Nagy saying "get me this guy" and Pace smiling and agreeing.

FWIW here are his contract terms.

Cordarrelle Patterson Contract and Salary Cap Page

Cordarrelle Patterson

Wide Receiver

• 2019 Salary Cap Charge: $4,234,375
  • % of 2019 Team Cap: 2.18%
  • 2019 Cash Payout: $5,250,000
  • % of 2019 Team Cash Spending: 3.16%
  • 2019 Cash to Cap Ratio: 1.24
  • Total Contract Value: $10,000,000
  • Annual Contract Value: $5,000,000
  • Position Ranking: 46/310 at WR
  • Fully Guaranteed Money: $5,000,000
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 220
  • College: Tennessee
  • Accrued Seasons: 6
  • Entry: 2013 Draft, Round 1, #29 overall (Vikings)
  • Year Signed: 2019
  • Contract Type: UFA
  • Free Agency: 2021 (UFA)

Contract Notes

Cordarrelle Patterson signed a two year, $10 million contract with the Bears on March 14, 2019. Patterson received $5 million in guarantees including a $2 million signing bonus. There are annual $250,000 per game bonuses.

Current Contract

(📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Total   $7,250,000 $2,000,000 $750,000   $3,000,000   $9,984,375      
2019 28 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000   $3,000,000   $4,234,375 2.2%  
$5,000,000
($765,625)
2020 29 $4,250,000 $1,000,000 $500,000   $0   $5,750,000 2.9%  
$1,000,000
$4,750,000

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

QB development has played a significant role in the evolution of football. I'd argue that many QBs from previous eras would not be able to run modern schemes which require quick decision-making and whole-field awareness. Modern QB prospects grow up playing in 7 on 7 leagues, going to QB camps, and watching film.

I'd also give credit to Belichick and Brady for bringing shotgun spread passing concepts to the NFL. Because of Cohen's skill-set, I agree that the Bears' RB approach should mimic the Pats' - use Cohen and Davis in a near 50/50 carry share with Cohen playing the obvious passing downs.

The key to modern offenses is versatility. NFL offenses used to be extremely limited in the areas of the field they attacked. Now any play may attack several areas of the field. This is all further complicated by motion and misdirection which makes it hard for defenders to read the play correctly. Defenses are more often on the back foot because they're forced to defend all over the field and can't commit as heavily to attacking. They're more reliant on their ability to defend 1-on-1 in space.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

QB development has played a significant role in the evolution of football. I'd argue that many QBs from previous eras would not be able to run modern schemes which require quick decision-making and whole-field awareness. Modern QB prospects grow up playing in 7 on 7 leagues, going to QB camps, and watching film.

I'd also give credit to Belichick and Brady for bringing shotgun spread passing concepts to the NFL. Because of Cohen's skill-set, I agree that the Bears' RB approach should mimic the Pats' - use Cohen and Davis in a near 50/50 carry share with Cohen playing the obvious passing downs.

The key to modern offenses is versatility. NFL offenses used to be extremely limited in the areas of the field they attacked. Now any play may attack several areas of the field. This is all further complicated by motion and misdirection which makes it hard for defenders to read the play correctly. Defenses are more often on the back foot because they're forced to defend all over the field and can't commit as heavily to attacking. They're more reliant on their ability to defend 1-on-1 in space.

Thing that sets Belichick apart is he willing to swallow his ego as 'the man" and go find things he can use from others.

He went to Oregon to talk to Chip Kelly about what he does.  He went to Oklahoma to talk to Lincoln Riley and learn from them.  Who knows where else he has gone and who else he has spoken to.  

Most people at his stage are only into giving advice and teaching.  Not continuing to learn.  If he just picks up one new thing he can use to him it is worth it.  

Player wise he is willing to use a guy based off one exceptional skill.  Take Patterson, he doesn't say this guy can't run route tree so he can't play X.  Therefore, he's a bust.  He says what can he do well?  And he uses that.

Thing that really impressed me about Belichick scheme wise, offensively, is he started running two TE sets with Gronk and Hernandez during a time when TE was starting to be said to be a future dying position like FB.

Because Hernandez and Gronk were so dynamic as receivers and blockers you couldn't match up.  Patriots would run it down your throat because they had two TEs in game or pass it on you depending on how you defended them.  Hernandez could even play RB and that would screw you up even more.  What other coach would put their TE at RB.  Nobody else would even think of it.  Same with putting Patterson at RB last year.

It was that season Gronk's rookie year that Patriots started their all encompassing offensive philosophy based on match ups.  When you play Patriots since then you don't know if they are going to be spread and pass every down or be smash mouth.   Their game plans and offensive schemes are entirely match based.   They have a whole playbook for any situation or scheme and Brady knows it all.  

They can be hurry up or milk a clock.  

Amazingly impressive.  

• Like 3

I could go on for hours about the Patriots. To me what separates them is their holistic approach to personnel. They don't look for individuals with a specific skill-set. They value the skills of an overall personnel grouping rather than those of an individual player. That's how they can lose key players but compete for Super Bowls every year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Most people at his stage are only into giving advice and teaching.  Not continuing to learn.  If he just picks up one new thing he can use to him it is worth it.  

Player wise he is willing to use a guy based off one exceptional skill.  Take Patterson, he doesn't say this guy can't run route tree so he can't play X.  Therefore, he's a bust.  He says what can he do well?  And he uses that.

And therein lies a major difference between older coaches like Fox and Belicheat where one adapts and wins while the other remains static and loses.

Nagy has already shown top shelf ability to adapt his schemes to his personnel and evaluate how to proceed with his core group and what's missing and needs to be added.

Furthermore he and Pace look like twin sons of different mothers in how they envision this Bears offense working and how to build it.  How very different now than 2-3 years ago eh?

And again appreciate you guys chiming in with your own perspectives.  It really helps.  happy0180.gif

• Like 2

I think this guy is going to have a bunch of big plays for us this year,  size+speed.  I think Nagy is going to do a good job putting him in good spots where doesn't have to be super sophisticated in routes or picking up blitzes or things like that, but where he can be fire and forget, get the ball, go for the end zone. 

Cant' recall where I saw it, but there's a pre-game video of him playing catch with fans and saying hi to kids, which apparently was common for him. Seems like a good dude, which I always appreciate.  

Tangent: do you think Nagy would have gotten something out of Hester if he had him on defense?  I know some of the lack was on Hester, but he didn't really have people that could adapt his skills and limitations to their plays, at least as far as I can rememebr.