Cordarrelle Patterson And The Jet Sweep

soulman

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think this guy is going to have a bunch of big plays for us this year,  size+speed.  I think Nagy is going to do a good job putting him in good spots where doesn't have to be super sophisticated in routes or picking up blitzes or things like that, but where he can be fire and forget, get the ball, go for the end zone. 

Cant' recall where I saw it, but there's a pre-game video of him playing catch with fans and saying hi to kids, which apparently was common for him. Seems like a good dude, which I always appreciate.  

Tangent: do you think Nagy would have gotten something out of Hester if he had him on defense?  I know some of the lack was on Hester, but he didn't really have people that could adapt his skills and limitations to their plays, at least as far as I can rememebr. 

On defense? No.

xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think this guy is going to have a bunch of big plays for us this year,  size+speed.  I think Nagy is going to do a good job putting him in good spots where doesn't have to be super sophisticated in routes or picking up blitzes or things like that, but where he can be fire and forget, get the ball, go for the end zone. 

Cant' recall where I saw it, but there's a pre-game video of him playing catch with fans and saying hi to kids, which apparently was common for him. Seems like a good dude, which I always appreciate.  

Tangent: do you think Nagy would have gotten something out of Hester if he had him on defense?  I know some of the lack was on Hester, but he didn't really have people that could adapt his skills and limitations to their plays, at least as far as I can rememebr. 

I love Devin but he had zero instincts as a DB.  He was listed as a CB in college but I don't think anyone on the Bears though he could play CB in the NFL.

Now on offense I do think Nagy could have produced the legendary Hester Package we heard about from Tice but never saw.   Man we had some God-awful OCs over the years.

**** and ****.  I meant offense. I do recall he was tried at CB.  

The actual question before expressed by an idiot should read:Tangent: do you think Nagy would have gotten something out of Hester if he had him on offense?  I know some of the lack was on Hester, but he didn't really have people that could adapt his skills and limitations to their plays, at least as far as I can rememebr. 

• 4 months later...

I wanted to add this video to my thread on why I think Bears run game will be better, but I didn't have time to find it then.

In training camp thread I said rumor has it Broncos oline looks bad at moment.  @soulmanrightly pointed out that could be because Chubb and Von Miller can make anyone look bad.  

That's true, but rumor has it everyone is making them look bad.

Point is Chubb and Von Miller could make Leno and Massie look bad and ruin the game.  They are better at their position than Leno and Massie are at theirs.  Which brings me to Patterson.

Patterson's ability to be a worrying homerun threat on jet sweep, as video points out so well (I really like this kid), slows down elite pass rushers.  Because if they just go all out they get burnt unless safety sniffs it out early.  

Bears used that against MN and their great pass rusher.  

Bears have really put together a team with a lot of answers to problems both offensively and defensively. 

Also threat of jet sweep opens up so many other plays, particularly in RPO game.

This is an exciting year.

• Like 1

Coaching note:

You dont block playside end or OLB on jet sweep as video shows.  

It fools most defense line because they get used to going with the zone blocking and now all of a sudden it is a down block and ball is going other way fast. 

However unblocked edge can obviously ruin the play if he sniffs it out fast enough. They are elite athletes after all. 

For NFL it becomes obvious and simple read for edge:  every time I am unblocked a TE is coming and its zone away or no one is coming and its jet sweep.  So T goes inside look immediately for TE coming, no TE jump outside angle and make tackle on jet. Or simply forget zone away read and defend the jet everytime you are unblocked.  I say that because there isnt much time with jet sweeper on you running full speed.

If TE or guard is coming you are supposed to crash down flat and crush him and close off any cut back for RB or make the play if you can. 

I have run these plays at lower levels a 1000x and defended them.

What you need to do schematically is add a counter trap.  Then when edge thinks jet sweep and jumps outside he gets kicked out and sealed and c/d gap hole is huge.  Now he can't cheat hard for jet every time he is unblocked and read isnt so simple.  

At lower level you also have option of QB run reading that edge which makes defending plays off jet 10x harder.  NFL doesnt like that though for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

As  Packer fan, God I hated to see this signing.

Patterson is an elite returner who somehow can double as a WR and line up deep as a tailback.  And he's darned effective as a RB.

I"m terrified of that Jet Sweep with him.  I hope he gets turf toe for two games this season.

But yah, great pickup by your club.

• Like 1