No deal for Kirk cousins

theJ

48 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I hope someone else pays him well and he continues to build on his success.

I'm actually in his corner now. He's dealt with being a 2nd rate player in the eyes of his management team, rose to the occasion for this franchise, really evolved as a pocket QB (in the age of dual threat QBs) and is STILL getting dumped on.

Hope he gets a massive payday and works his way into top 5-10 discussions. Redskins fans don't deserve this level of incompetence.

4 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Petty is one word, words that can't be posted here are other words.

What kind of moron do you have to be to sell out your own franchise QB that's in the middle of deciding if he wants to sign with your team or not?

That's what Bruce Allen does.  If you don't give in to his demand he engages in a public smear campaign to ruin your reputation so that he looks better.  He did the same thing to McCloughan and Mike Shanahan when he pushed them both out.  They also treated RG3 like crap on his way out the door, but he probably deserved it.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That's what Bruce Allen does.  If you don't give in to his demand he engages in a public smear campaign to ruin your reputation so that he looks better.  He did the same thing to McCloughan and Mike Shanahan when he pushed them both out.  They also treated RG3 like crap on his way out the door, but he probably deserved it.

Well Bruce Allen needs to be shot into the sun, so that's not really a surprise.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

As others said, I think he's going to be great if he goes to San Francisco. He could make that team relevant again.

I wonder who Washington would replace him with..

I can see Tom Savage - contingent on him playing as much as he can and not completely screwing up or getting hurt. I'm thinking a Glennon/Trubisky situation, where Savage signs and is immediately railroaded by the team when they draft Mason Rudolph or something.

I get their hesitation to not lock him in and make sure he can do the job over multiple years and not just one.

But he's played well enough the last couple of years. Yea he's not going to be at the tippity top of the QB list, but it's hard to get those types of guys.

By waiting you are just adding millions every year as other QBs increase the $$$ they expect to get paid. And hurt the relationship with him to the point he'll just be done playing there.

20 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

And hurt the relationship with him to the point he'll just be done playing there.

It sort of seems like it's already at that point. Didn't Cousins not even make any kind of counter-offer? Also, the FO releasing a statement about the numbers they offered him and slanting it like he's turning down some fantastic deal.. doesn't really seem like a benevolent move.

On 7/18/2017 at 5:13 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

I can see Tom Savage - contingent on him playing as much as he can and not completely screwing up or getting hurt. I'm thinking a Glennon/Trubisky situation, where Savage signs and is immediately railroaded by the team when they draft Mason Rudolph or something.

I don't expect Tom Savage to make it 8 games into his Houston career. I'm glad you have faith in your QB though. But everything I've seen from him I'm amazed he has a starting job, let alone was drafted.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:54 PM, cddolphin said:

It sort of seems like it's already at that point. Didn't Cousins not even make any kind of counter-offer? Also, the FO releasing a statement about the numbers they offered him and slanting it like he's turning down some fantastic deal.. doesn't really seem like a benevolent move.

That Ship sailed long ago. This has nothing (Nothing) to do with the Numbers but everything to do with the lack of respect shown by the FO/Owner from his point of view. Rightfully so.

Having to " Prove" yourself , take the "let's see how the year plays out" approach and being low balled after setting Redskin records in back to back seasons, should rub him the wrong way!!! Being treated as though you're Not a FQB or worthy a FQB LTD, Should get you the middle finger in return!

Kirk was leaving regardless. They can be idiots and tag him again next season for $35M giving him almost 80M in a three year span or let him walk. Transition Tag will also not work (pipe dream) because they won't be able to match the language/structure of said contract.

The Washington Redskins created this Stupidity. Now go lay in it!!

So, WJFK (local sports talk station in DC) had finagled an exclusive interview with Kirk the day after the deadline. They had planned to give Kirk airtime months ago regardless of how the negotiations turned out.

First thing for those not in the DC market: WJFK is the competitor to the ESPN 980, the radio station that Snyder owns and is the flagship of the Redskins radio network. So Cousins and his team decided (apparently months ago) no matter what happened on July 17th, they were going on the competitor to the owner's station.

Second thing: Kirk was extremely magnanimous about the whole thing. He brushed off the "Kurt" thing, saying he had that happen all the time growing up. He said the deal that Allen tweeted was a "fair opening offer." When asked if he wanted to stay in DC, he said that was his first preference. He claimed that the money wasn't an issue, but wanting to see what was coming up for the franchise (A LOT of players are on one year deals).

So, there's a pathway to keep Kirk. However, it almost requires a Gettleman scenario.

For many of us this is a fascinating situation. I think ultimately if they made a good enough offer, say 50% guaranteed fully on 5 years 140, he'd sign it. They made mistakes leading up to this point though and the ceiling on his next contract will now be ridiculous on the open market. No doubt highest average pay and guarantees in NFL history, possibly by a wide margin.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:31 PM, Kiltman said:

I get their hesitation to not lock him in and make sure he can do the job over multiple years and not just one.

But he's played well enough the last couple of years. Yea he's not going to be at the tippity top of the QB list, but it's hard to get those types of guys.

By waiting you are just adding millions every year as other QBs increase the $$$ they expect to get paid. And hurt the relationship with him to the point he'll just be done playing there.

The sad part is that Washington could have signed him to a higher paying 3 year deal when he was first up for a new contract and would have saved themselves a lot of money and a lot of egg on the face. He's going to make over 70 mil in 3 years all guaranteed after this thing is said and done, you're telling me Kirk wouldn't have accepted 3 year, 50 mil with like 30 mil guaranteed? 

Then at the end of this all instead of completely mucking this up you've had a few more years to evaluate where you're at and/or put yourself in a position to either move on or move forward with Cousins.

Archived