Should we trade up for Devin White?

Josh Smith

Arguably our biggest need this off-season is ILB.  It has been a huge hole in our team since Shaziers injury, and even though we have signed guys like Jon Bostic (last off-season) and Mark Barron (this weekend) a legitimate pro-Bowl quality ILB could be the peice that pulls it all together.  Devin White will likely be gone in the top 10 or 12 and Devin Bush stock is rising and may no longer be there at #20.

So so if you were the Steelers and Devin White is there when the Bills are on the clock would you trade up for him?  How much would it cost?  Our 2nd rounder, and a 4th?  Our 2nd rounder and our later 3rd.  Would it be worth it?

I could handle both 3rd this year or something like the early 3rd and our 2020 2nd.

I don’t want to give up this years 2nd cause I feel the difference between 20 and our 2nd(50ish) isn’t a big gap.

1 hour ago, Josh Smith said:

Arguably our biggest need this off-season is ILB.  It has been a huge hole in our team since Shazier's injury, and even though we have signed guys like Jon Bostic (last off-season) and Mark Barron (this weekend) a legitimate pro-Bowl quality ILB could be the piece that pulls it all together.  Devin White will likely be gone in the top 10 or 12 and Devin Bush stock is rising and may no longer be there at #20.

The answer is in two fold:

1. Do you feel that Devin White is the next great ILB.  Is this guy a perennial pro bowler with future HOF aspirations that could take our defense from decent to over the top great?  Is he a tackling machine that will remind us of days of Jack Lambert gone by?

2. Are there other ILB prospects that can help/improve this draft that may be drafted between rounds 1-7?

Last year we watched two prospects go from late first or early second prospects to top 20.  We also saw a guy like Leonard go from a mid third round prospect to being  successfully over-drafted in round two. I will also throw in Fred Warner who was drafted by the 49'ers.  All of these prospects had levels of success and were all targets or projections that many of us suggested the Steelers draft.  Should they have traded up and given up picks to get Vander Esh or Evans or traded down and secured Leonard or Warner?

1 hour ago, Josh Smith said:

So so if you were the Steelers and Devin White is there when the Bills are on the clock would you trade up for him?  

No.  There are a ton of solid prospects out here and there are other players who may make a splash on defense not named Devin as Darius Leonard and Warner did last year. One of my sleepers that I have scouted is Sionne Taktaki from BYU.  Although not a top prospect, but a player with a style that can eventually take over and lead our defense. There are others in this category as well.

How much would it cost?  Our 2nd rounder, and a 4th?  Our 2nd rounder and our later 3rd.  Would it be worth it?

Trade scale: would cost three picks in point value: 1, 2, and 3 or 4th. Too much. We have other needs to help improve this team besides ILB. You get the ILB you want, but miss out on the other decent prospects at TE, CB, Edge, etc. That is my opinion.

If he falls to 12 or something....it would be worth considering.   Otherwise, its probably going to cost too much.  

IMO, them signing Mark Barron will prevent them from making some major move at ILB.   Im not saying we wont take one in the first round, but I dont think they will feel as compelled to reach on one or trade up for one as they might have otherwise.

Honestly, I think Devin White is going top 10, so the answer is ultimately no.

57 minutes ago, KJtheWicked said:

Both 3rds and our middle 6th would get us to 10 according to the TVC. I suspect if they pull the trigger though they’ll use a 2020 pick as well, maybe the early 3rd plus a 2020 2nd could get us up to around 9. 

Too much to give up. You are swapping ones and then giving up two- third round picks and a six.  Essentially you are trading three players and four spots to get one player. What about our other needs? He better walk on water for all of that.

trade-value-chart-850x560.jpg

51 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Absolutely we should move up. 

I agree. We don’t have tons of holes on this team. We do have one GLARING hole and that is at ILB. I’d feel a lot better about a trade up if we also signed Justin Houston, though. I absolutely think White could be a guy that makes us one of TE better defenses in the league.

If Devin White falls to 10-15 range, then absolutely the Steelers should make offers to go get him.  I've seen a lot of mocks with White going at #5. I think that would cost too much.

Have the Steelers ever traded a future #1 or #2 pick in a trade?

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Too much to give up. You are swapping ones and then giving up two- third round picks and a six.  Essentially you are trading three players and four spots to get one player. What about our other needs? He better walk on water for all of that.

trade-value-chart-850x560.jpg

Yeah I’m not arguing whether we should or shouldn’t, just pointing out it can be done without giving up our 2nd or especially a future 1st.

i would prefer to stand pat with our first 3 rounds

we may not get the ilb we need in the first but some stud will drop to us.

te, wr, cb, s, dl edge are all positions that we need upgraded immediately or within the next year or so.

now when it comes to all those 6th rounders, id like to see them use those to move up in 4th and 5th or even package them to get another 3rd, 4th or 5th

i think both players might be over hyped  or over valued because there seems to be a big drop off to the next group of ilbs. i hope we are not one of those teams that think that way. we have plenty of holes to fill

fwiw. last year vander esch put up better numbers in the most categories compared to bush except 40. and bench(by 1)

24 minutes ago, muncher said:

fwiw. last year vander esch put up better numbers in the most categories compared to bush except 40. and bench(by 1)

Ok, so look at it this way- would you give up our 1st and 2 3rds to have Vander Esch? With the moves we made this offseason I think adding a stud ILB will do wonders for us, and really feel we only have another 2years or so before we need to blow it up when Ben retires. Look where we’ll be in 2 or 3 years and who will be gone- Ben, Hayward, Haden, most of our OL, it just feels to me like it’s time to go all in and try to win before it falls apart. I hate to say it but I see another mid 80s fall coming in a few years 

Archived