Should we trade up for Devin White?

Josh Smith

23 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Explain why my friend.

I think White is one of those key centerpiece type defensive players that you can really build around. He’s got that “thing” that I haven’t seen for a while. Almost Polamalu like. 

If you can get and need a guy like that, you get him. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think White is one of those key centerpiece type defensive players that you can really build around. He’s got that “thing” that I haven’t seen for a while. Almost Polamalu like. 

If I am understanding you correctly: You grade him above ALL of the ILB from last year (including the earlier picks of Edmunds and Roquaan Smith) and you believe that D. White is in the class of a Troy Polamalu, but as a ILB?  I purposely did not mention Edmunds or Smith earlier, because they were regarded as wayyyy out of our draft range last year, yet the other players that I mentioned probably had a bigger or arguably as big an impact as they did. Granted one year does not make a NFL prospect. I still believe that Smith will be the best of the bunch before all is said and done.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I'm a little torn here. Of course depending on the cost, I'm ok moving up. However, when was the last time we were in a position to stand pat and pick up a very good CB? If the cost is to high, I'm fine with staying at #20 and settling for Murphy/Baker/Greedy. 

7 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'm a little torn here. Of course depending on the cost, I'm ok moving up. However, when was the last time we were in a position to stand pat and pick up a very good CB? If the cost is to high, I'm fine with staying at #20 and settling for Murphy/Baker/Greedy. 

I’m not. Get one of these guys. Get that lynch pin. 

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sorry I meant 'these guys' as in the LB's.

I get it but I dont think it's that easy of a decision. Trade up and get a potentially great ILB but lose other potentially good players from traded picks. Or, stand pat and potentially get the best Steeler CB since Rod Wooodson. Then be able to use those "extra" picks on other positions. I don't think you can go wrong either way but one way MAY be better then the other. I just don't know which is which. 

6 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Ok, so look at it this way- would you give up our 1st and 2 3rds to have Vander Esch? With the moves we made this offseason I think adding a stud ILB will do wonders for us, and really feel we only have another 2years or so before we need to blow it up when Ben retires. Look where we’ll be in 2 or 3 years and who will be gone- Ben, Hayward, Haden, most of our OL, it just feels to me like it’s time to go all in and try to win before it falls apart. I hate to say it but I see another mid 80s fall coming in a few years 

i would not, even knowing the result. 

you cant guarantee white will be that guy until he gets on the field

the time for the steeles to go' all in' was the last few years. they chose to stay the course and look what happened.

to me going all in would be to acquire proven veterans not gamble on one kid in this draft

i think our window has closed. the steelers however may think its still open seeing the way they changed philosophy the last couple weeks. the steelers never spent in FA the first couple days.

i think this draft should be used to find at least 4 quality players at several positions of need to ensure there is a good group to build around when we do find our next qb

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

im a little skittish about using a first rounder on cb

our track record is pretty poor. i would feel better with wr. te, ilb, olb or dl before cb....................gun shy, i guess

6 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I get it but I dont think it's that easy of a decision. Trade up and get a potentially great ILB but lose other potentially good players from traded picks. Or, stand pat and potentially get the best Steeler CB since Rod Wooodson. Then be able to use those "extra" picks on other positions. I don't think you can go wrong either way but one way MAY be better then the other. I just don't know which is which. 

I do. Having a 3 down linebacker is an amazing thing that a CB can’t do for you. A LB that can cover man, cover zone, blitz, run stuff, run side to side. Does more for you than a corner. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I do. Having a 3 down linebacker is an amazing thing that a CB can’t do for you. A LB that can cover man, cover zone, blitz, run stuff, run side to side. Does more for you than a corner. 

Also, this is not a particularly strong CB class. There a reason why we’ll be in in a position to get one of the best in the draft at #20. Murphy is my favorite of the bunch but he’s a long term #2.

I don’t really care to look at prospects so I just kinda take a lot of peoples word for it...

But to trade up and spend so many valuable resources, that guy needs to be a sure thing and a hands down best.

My question would be is Devin White one of the best LBs to come out in the last couple of years or is he just the best of this class?

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t really care to look at prospects so I just kinda take a lot of peoples word for it...

But to trade up and spend so many valuable resources, that guy needs to be a sure thing and a hands down best.

My question would be is Devin White one of the best LBs to come out in the last couple of years or is he just the best of this class?

IMO since Kuechly, my only LB's with the value of getting that top 15 pick were:

Shazier, Roquan Smith, Davin White.

Every other LBer has been 30 or lower to me.

9 hours ago, warfelg said:

Well, its one thing to say "Yes, trade up for him"....its another to get into the actual compensation.

Am I in favor in moving up for him?   Yes.

Would I trade our first 3 draft picks or a future high draft pick to do so?   Ehhh....probably not.    

Our 1st, high 3rd (Raiders) and possible 2nd next year is the most Id be willing to spend.

I like White, but I dont think he is like....a Patrick Willis or Luke Kuuchley type of prospect.   

Archived