Madmike90

Resign…

FB…Michael Burton

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson

LS…Patrick Scales

Free Agents…

grant.jpg?fit=600,425&ssl=1

RB…Corey Grant…5-11” 203lbs…

Grant is an upgraded version of Cunningham as a number 3 back…he is an outstanding special teamer who is a solid runner, receiver and pass protector…when given his limited chance he has done well.

Darius+Philon+San+Diego+Chargers+v+Oakla

NT…Darius Philon…6-1” 300lbs…

I would still like to add some depth at NT especially with my suspicion we will see Goldman getting some work at DE in some base packages…Philon is solid vs. the run and has 8.5 sacks over the last two seasons…at only 25 there is a bit of upside there.

Cleveland-Browns-LB-Jamie-Collins-limite

OLB…Jamie Collins…6-3” 250lbs…

This is where we would spend a little more money although Collins would be a much cheaper option than Houston and better than Ray…Collins has the skill set and athletic ability to fit perfectly as the “dirty work” OLB that Pagano has had in the past opposite Mack…he can get to the QB as well as play the run and drop into cover especially on TEs which has always been a concern for us…Collins also would provide further insurance against Danny T or Smith going down as he could slide inside to ILB if needed.

Trade…

Bears trade RB Jordan Howard for a 5th round pick…

There would be a number of takers for Howard this offseason…I feel I am low balling him at a 4th because as a player he is far more valuable that this but it is clear he does not fit the running style Nagy’s offence demands and there is no way we are going to pay him big money the following offseason so we sell to the highest bidder…sad to see him go because there is no doubt he is one of the better backs in the NFL.

Draft…

Round 3…

politethumb.jpg

OLB…Jachai Polite…6-3” 258lbs…Florida…

Where to start with this one…first round tape…fourth round athletic ability at the combine…UDFA attitude and interviews…Polite had a terrible combine which some have called the worst every…his work out doesn’t concern me…Polite has put it down to an existing hamstring injury…I wouldn’t believe his word but looking at his tape no one can say he is that unathletic…I truly believe that building on our pass rush is the way to become an elite team in the NFL…Mack, Hicks, Floyd and potentially Collins and Polite…that is a lot of guys who can really destroy a team’s gameplan…Polite will only be 21 years old for his entire 1st season and if there is a locker room that can bring him into line it’s ours…would you want to try an act out of line with Akiem Hicks? Didn’t think so…we are in a position to take a risk and if Polite gets his head right he could be a Mark Anderson type of pass rusher right off the bat.  

Round 4…

Chase+Lucas+Kahale+Warring+Arizona+State

TE…Kahale Warring…6-5” 253lbs…San Diego State…

I fully believe that we only saw this offence at half it’s potential last year…some of that was down to Trubisky being in year one…some down to Howard not being the right fit…but a lot of it was down to not having that big physical mismatch TE that teams like KC & Philly have made key to their offence…with Burton not being that guy we have to do whatever we can to find that…I love this TE class and there are 3 or 4 guys I would be happy with but Warring is the one with the most natural talent as a pass catcher…he is very fluid in his movements and has the size, speed and overall athletic ability to be too fast for most LBs and too big for most DBs…he is raw but all the skills are there to become an outstanding flex target.

Round 5 (Trade of Howard)…

STANFBC4.jpg?fit=620,9999px&ssl=1

RB…Bryce Love…5-9” 200lbs…Stanford…

I am a big fan of Mike Davis and think he will turn out to be a quality pick up for us as an early down back who can do a bit of everything…his size and physicality is a real fit…what we also need though is a home run threat…enter a healthy Bryce Love…he toughed it out last season after getting hurt to try and help Stanford but he clearly wasn’t the player of the year before…keeping him in a complementary role behind Davis and alongside Cohen and Patterson gives us 3 guys that when a defence has been worn down by Davis can break a game wide open on any touch.

Round 5…

UGA-UF-12810_han02i.jpg

OL…Lamont Gaillard…6-3” 305lbs…Georgia…

Filling the quota of Georgia kids is Gaillard…Kyle Long isn’t going to be around forever with this more than likely being his last year with the team…Gaillard is a tough and physical OL who can play both C and G…he fits the athletic profile of type of interior linemen we seem to like and hopefully would allow us to move forward with an interior of Daniels, Whitehair and Gaillard in 2020.

Round 7 (via Philly)…

6_4808726.jpg

CB…Jamal Peters…6-2” 218lbs…Mississippi State…

Peters coming into the year was much more highly sought of but has slipped into the later round…he doesn’t have the athletic ability to go much higher than this but his size and length are outstanding…I would ask him to lose 10-15lbs in order to try and give him a bit more long speed and agility…total project and special teamer early.

Round 7…

Matt+Gay+Utah+v+BYU+amZ8imSbeG6l.jpg

K…Matt Gay…6-0” 233lbs…Utah…

Gay is the best kicker in the draft IMO and as much as I suspect we would be top of any UDFA kickers list to sign with I wouldn’t want to take the risk on losing him…long term solution.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Chase Dainel

RB…Mike Davis…Bryce Love…Corey Grant

FB…Michael Burton                                                        

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims…Marvin Hall                         

WR…Anthony Miller…Cordarrelle Patterson

Weapon…Tarik Cohen…Taylor Gabriel                         

TE…Trey Burton…Adam Shaheen…Kahale Warring…Ben Braunecker

LT…Charles Leno

LG…James Daniels                     

C…Cody Whitehair…Ted Larsen

RG…Kyle Long…Lamont Gaillard

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                                  

LE…Akiem Hicks…Roy Robertson-Harris

NT…Eddie Goldman…Darius Philon

RE…Bilal Nichols…Jonathan Bullard                      

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Jachai Polite

ILB…Roquan Smith…Nick Kwiatkoski                       

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Jamie Collins…Isaiah Irving/Kylie Fitts

NB…Buster Skrine…Sherrick McManis                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Jamal Peters

CB…Prince Amukamara…Kevin Toliver                  

SS…HaHa Clinton-Dix…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                    

P…Pat O’Donnell

K…Matt Gay

LS…Patrick Scales

his work out doesn’t concern me…Polite has put it down to an existing hamstring injury…I wouldn’t believe his word but looking at his tape no one can say he is that unathletic…

@Madmike90

I agree with this.

I made fun of PFF for saying he would rock the combine, but watching tape for myself it is pretty clear he is an athlete.

He lacks skill because he just ran around people every play and was able to do it enough to justify doing that.  So that makes him an NFL project.

But if for some reason this guy is sitting there in 3rd round I think you take him based on athletic ability and position value.  I don't know about off field or personality issues. I am going purely off tape.

This guy is a first round talent with later round skills.  If someone has first round talent and is a QB, CB, Ball hawking safety or pass rusher and simply lacks coaching or skills you take those risks all day in 3rd round.

I haven't scouted this class much, but going off past drafts I can't imagine he wouldn't be BPA in 3rd.

Saying that I doubt he is still there unless there are also significant character or intelligence concerns.  If there are character or intelligence concerns I doubt Pace has him on his board.

I do not think that Polite will fall that far, 2nd round maybe, but his tape is too good for a pass rusher to fall that far. If he does we run the pick up and hope playing with Mack gets him on the right path.

I agree with the positions targeted, TE is an under rated need. This is a TE heavy offense with 1 actual threat at TE.

Not a Bryce Love guy, undersized and injured.

I love Corey Grant, everytime he touched the ball for the Jags good things happened.

I wonder if they are going to use this draft to put the finishing touches on the offense. 

Add a TE, RB and OG pretty high and make sure there are no obvious holes on the offense . Deal with future needs on defense in 2020, but make sure the offense does not hold them back this season.

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think that Polite will fall that far, 2nd round maybe, but his tape is too good for a pass rusher to fall that far. If he does we run the pick up and hope playing with Mack gets him on the right path.

I agree with the positions targeted, TE is an under rated need. This is a TE heavy offense with 1 actual threat at TE.

Not a Bryce Love guy, undersized and injured.

I love Corey Grant, everytime he touched the ball for the Jags good things happened.

I think given his interviews he could...like what has came out about those is bad...if not him Christian Miller or Ben Banogu would make sense...I just feel we need to speed rusher...

I am also not a huge fan of Love and don't think he can ever be a lead but his explosiveness when healthy is a quality fit...Darwin Thompson also makes sense.

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I wonder if they are going to use this draft to put the finishing touches on the offense. 

Add a TE, RB and OG pretty high and make sure there are no obvious holes on the offense . Deal with future needs on defense in 2020, but make sure the offense does not hold them back this season.

Personally I am at the point of believing that with Davis, Cohen & Patterson (and Howard right now) all capable of running the ball TE is a far bigger need to get this offence to it's full potential.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Personally I am at the point of believing that with Davis, Cohen & Patterson (and Howard right now) all capable of running the ball TE is a far bigger need to get this offence to it's full potential.

I agree.

But when this offense exploded in KC it was with a RB that fit perfectly and allowed them to do exactly what they wanted to do.

The number of big plays Hunt generated was incredible for them.

I have 3 RBs that I pick at 87 over a TE: Sanders, Henderson, Harris.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree.

But when this offense exploded in KC it was with a RB that fit perfectly and allowed them to do exactly what they wanted to do.

The number of big plays Hunt generated was incredible for them.

I have 3 RBs that I pick at 87 over a TE: Sanders, Henderson, Harris.

I think they feel they can get that when getting Cohen & Patterson in the game...Davis for inside runs and when you start wearing down then he get hit with Cohen & Patterson running horizontally...that's tough to stop...yeah having just one guy who can do both would be excellent but I think they have made moves to get a bit of that.

Where to start, LOL.

Free Agents;

Other than adding a vet OLB/Edge Rusher and signing a LS I'm thinking we may be done other than just bodies to fill out a 90 man roster.

Not much sense in adding another  RB in FA if we plan to draft one and here Pace maybe hoping to catch another steal in the mid rounds.  Davis and Patterson may not be long term solutions so drafting a RB each year 'til we find our perfect fit seems more like what Pace would do.

As far as NT while I can see him signing someone as an UDFA for now we have Nichols who can move inside giving Goldman a break and Nick Williams whom we brought back and Abdullah Anderson from the 2018 PS.  Hicks can also play NT in a pinch.

Draft;

Tough to figure out where Pace will strike first but the positional needs are fairly obvious.

I'm also thinking TE is a bigger focus than some think.  Neither Burton or Shaheen are going anywhere soon but we do need a guy in between them who can be a plus receiver and an in line blocker to compete with Braunecker and it's a fairly healthy TE class this year.

I'm gonna accept that we'll draft a RB but who and where is a real stab in the dark.  If Nagy and Pace see Davis replacing Howard I believe Pace will opt for a more explosive back like Cohen but bigger and more of a true RB.  There's probably 3 or 4 who would interest him.

I'm sure we're gonna draft a DB as well and very likely two along with more UDFAs.  Who comes first, a SS or a CB will depend on how the picks before us fall.  Other mocks seem to lean towards a Safety but most of those came before we signed HHCD.

Taking an OLB/Edge Rusher over an OG should be based on whose higher rated on our board.  We could keep signing vet OLBs to short term deals if both Irving and Fitts have shown enough improvement to think they're close enough to compete for that 3rd OLB role.  But if we draft one I would take a guy whose been a very effective pass rusher in college.  That seems to be a primary indicator of how well they may also do in the pros.

Drafting for an OG may be something we can put off 'til 2020 if only because we do have an option on Long he may well earn provided he can remain healthy and productive for 16 games.  When he's on his game he's worth keeping.  We also have two 2nds in 2020 one of which could be used on an OG who can start quickly as both Whitehair and Daniels were able to do.  We have a better shot at replacing Long with a higher pick.

I like drafting Matt Gay if we need to do that to assure we get him.

One other thought regarding Howard and drafting a RB is trading him for a 2020 3rd round pick to replace the one we traded to Oakland in the Mack deal.  To be honest I'd prefer that to settling for a 5th or less this year.  Call it a deferred payment plan that may benefit everyone since I believe our needs to acquire more 2020 picks is greater than it is now.  Just one more spitball to toss.

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

@Madmike90

We may need to draft this dude off that photo alone.  Makes him look like the Hulk not a college kid.

Warring is an awesome athlete...excelled at multiple sports in high school...the more he learns the position the sky is the limit.

Re:  Warring.

I think this would be an excellent pick for this slot.  Nice job @Madmike90

Pros:  He is huge, strong and athletic with soft hands.  Doesn't fight the football and doesn't drop balls.  He sticks with his blocks until the whistle and gives full effort.

Cons: He doesn't block with proper leverage.  Doesn't bend his knees enough - common with tall guys.  His routes stems don't fool any one and his cuts/breaks aren't scary.  He has no first step explosion.  The amount of muscle he reportedly put on in a short time and the way his muscles look for his age leads me to suspect he is on PEDs or he was.   He was a former walk on.  I can't believe if he looked anything close to that in high school he wouldn't have been recruited.  

But, I think a lot of guys are on PEDs and while it may be cheating, or wrong, or arguably bad for society, or bad for the person; it only really hurts from a team standpoint if they suddenly stop, can't maintain gains, or they get caught.

Archived