• B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

I saw that Mel Kiper Jr. had done a regrade of the 2018 NFL draft, and the Vikings got a B for their draft. So I thought, what would you grade, overall and by pick the 2018 Vikings draft?

1. Mike Hughes
2. Brian O'Neill
4. Jaylen Holmes
5. Tyler Conklin
5. Daniel Carlson
6. Colby Gossett
6. Ade Aruna
7. DaVante Downs

I went with B-, I think that's a fair grade with Brian O'Neill looking like a good RT possibly LT.

However, then there are misses like Daniel Carlson and we didn't keep Colby Gossett. I think really you could it's incomplete still because of Mike Hughes, if Hughes is good coming back from the injury, it could be much higher. Getting two starters, if that were to happen, that is probably an A draft then.

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I saw that Mel Kiper Jr. had done a regrade of the 2018 NFL draft, and the Vikings got a B for their draft. So I thought, what would you grade, overall and by pick the 2018 Vikings draft?

1. Mike Hughes - (B+) injury sucked but showed promise.
2. Brian O'Neill - (A+) I think this is looking like a home-run pick
4. Jaylen Holmes - (Incomplete) He hardly played, was he even active?
5. Tyler Conklin - (C-) Wasn't all that impressed with him as TE3. Would not mind an upgrade.
5. Daniel Carlson - (F) Probably should've had a longer leash but would've likely been a mental midget here after his start.
6. Colby Gossett - (C) Not on team, plucked by Cardinals off of practice squad. I guess that's something.
6. Ade Aruna - (Incomplete) - IR'd
7. DaVante Downs - (Incomplete) Don't recall him playing specials.

I'd probably give it a B-/C+ grade. If Hughes remained healthy that would bump the grade up big time.

I went with a D.  I really like O'Neill so I thought about going with a C but I feel the last draft was poor.  I haven't seen enough from Hughes to say he is anymore than a nickel / backup and spending a 1st round pick on that is dumb when you already had Alexander and other needs.  I have higher expectations from drafts than that.  

34 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Year 1 returns were awful no doubt, but I think it is a little premature to say that indefinitely.

Agreed.  Which is why it's kind of silly to do regrades after 1 year.  3 years is the standard...I'd give that draft about a B as well, as both Treadwell and Beavers have been busts (although I don't know how much you're supposed to expect from a 4th rd OT), but Mackensie, Morgan, Weatherly and Kearse have all contributed to a good extent.  No superstars, but they are solid depth pieces right now.  

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I've never understood coming into a thread and saying the thread isn't worth having. Why come? Why not just let people that want ot enjoy a thread do so?

I've never understood why we have to wait three years to form an opinion on a draft. Evaluating the last three drafts, there should be a valid concern over the lack of contributors. Especially in starting roles. Much of the core talent seemed to come from 2012-2015. I wouldn't say the roster is old yet, maybe middle aged, which explains the cap issues.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I've never understood why we have to wait three years to form an opinion on a draft. Evaluating the last three drafts, there should be a valid concern over the lack of contributors. Especially in starting roles. Much of the core talent seemed to come from 2012-2015. I wouldn't say the roster is old yet, maybe middle aged, which explains the cap issues.

Player development. 

What was your grade of the 2016 draft in March of 2017? It’s three years later, and I bet that the grade has changed considerably. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Player development. 

What was your grade of the 2016 draft in March of 2017? It’s three years later, and I bet that the grade has changed considerably. 

No one is denying we have more information, but that's not the same as not having an opinion after 16 games of the draft not helping enough.....

17 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I've never understood coming into a thread and saying the thread isn't worth having. Why come? Why not just let people that want ot enjoy a thread do so?

I just think it's silly.  You can certainly discuss it, but no matter what has happened in that 1 year, you never know what those players will really turn out to be.  If we did a regrade on the 2012 draft in 2013, we probably would have said A++, considering Kalil went to the Pro Bowl, Blair Walsh was brilliant, and Robert Blanton would join Harrison Smith and re-create their magic from the Notre Dame secondary to the NFL.  

I do agree with @vikingsrule to a certain extent though that, in some cases, you can judge a little, because you'd like to think that you'd have some greater contribution from guys in the last 3 drafts, but a lot of it has to be the opportunity.  Weatherly hasn't contributed a lot, but you can see, when he was given the opportunity, he did a real nice job.  In many cases, the opportunity hasn't been there for some guys because the guys that were drafted in 2012-15 have such a stranglehold on the job.  The openings haven't been there.  To be able to contribute you have to have snaps.

Archived