2(49): **Trade-Up Closer to Top of the 2nd**

1.) Jerry Tillery, DT Notre Dame

2.) Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa St.

3.) Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State

4.) Johnathan Abram, SS Mississippi State

5.) Devin Bush, LB Michigan

6.) Taylor Rapp, SS Washington

3(80): **Trade-Up Closer to Top of the 3rd**

1.) JJ Arcega Whiteside, TE-Convert Stanford (As TE Only)

2.) Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, NCB/FS Florida 

3.) Darnell Savage, SS Maryland

4(119):

1.) Devine Ozigbo, RB Nebraska

2.) David Montgomery, RB Iowa St

3.) Darnell Savage, SS Maryland 

4.) Emmanuel Butler, WR Northern Arizona 

On 3/21/2019 at 1:56 PM, brownie man said:

I went

Rapp starting SS

Julian Love 3rd highest rated corner in the draft to me 

Hooker starting Nickle/S

young secondary makeover 

I sort of went samesies. I went Thornhill in the 2nd because I think he can be a pro bowler at either safety spot, Love in the 3rd because I feel similarly to what you said, and I went Hooker in the 4th because he could be an exceptional SS/LB hybrid with special coverage ability.

I love the idea of rebuilding our secondary with an eye for 2019 and 2020. Randall is up for a contract after this season. Let Hooker and Thornhill compete for SS this season opposite Randall, and let Love play nickel and learn behind Mitchell, who is a decent comp for Love. Then in 2020, Thornhill moves to his more natural FS spot, replacing Randall, and Love takes over the second CB spot, sliding Mitchell to Nickel for his final season under contract with us. 

This way, we keep infusing youth, speed, and affordable rookie contracts into the roster. We'll save probably 7-10 mill on Randall. Don't sweat him though, with Thornhill's instincts, special speed and athleticism, I think he ends up being an upgrade.

Hooker is a comparable athlete to Peppers, has better instincts and production in coverage, will cost less than a 1st rounder, and will be up for an extension a year later. Only problem is: I see all three guys going in the 2nd round, but we'll see.

6 hours ago, BrownsnMopar said:

Nope! I am the one and only Brownsnmopar!!! I use this EVERYWHERE! 

For a moment I thought my old man became a Browns fan, explored the interwebs, and joined the forum. The man lives and breathes Mopar. Even has a subscription to Mopar magazine. In my life he has went from one Dodge Omni to another, to a Ramcharger, to a Dodge Ram truck, to what he now owns which is two Dodge Ram vans, one a travel excursion van, the other a 4x4 work van. 

Plus he'd only let his ex wives drive Mopar.

I bought an F-150 when I turned 30 just to annoy him. My lil bro bought a Jeep, and my older bro owns a BMW. Screw you, Dad. Frickin Steelers fan.

58 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Savage seems more like a FS, a bit slight for SS, but you didn't ask me, so I'll just mind my own business.

His skill set & play traits are purely & exclusively for SS. His build says not a SS. Therefore, he's a SS with serious size & durability concerns that get factored into where he gets drafted & the draft grade.

6 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Hooker is a comparable athlete to Peppers

I don't buy this at all. Peppers was a superstar athlete for a strong safety position. Hooker's athletic numbers don't back themselves up on the field. That's why people were genuinely shocked by his combine performance. I don't dislike Hooker, but he is most certainly lagging behind Peppers in the physical department.

@NudeTayne You're missing CB Jojuan Williams. He's my top choice at #49.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't buy this at all. Peppers was a superstar athlete for a strong safety position. Hooker's athletic numbers don't back themselves up on the field. That's why people were genuinely shocked by his combine performance. I don't dislike Hooker, but he is most certainly lagging behind Peppers in the physical department.

Not at all. Peppers is the guy that's numbers don't show up on the field anymore. He's noticeably less explosive than he was in college. Hooker could easily be on par athletically as a pro, if not actually a little quicker.

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

His skill set & play traits are purely & exclusively for SS. His build says not a SS. Therefore, he's a SS with serious size & durability concerns that get factored into where he gets drafted & the draft grade.

Idk about that. I think his skill set fits at either spot or even CB. He's really similar to Damarious Randall. But his discipline will need to improve no matter where he's at.

3 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Idk about that. I think his skill set fits at either spot or even CB. He's really similar to Damarious Randall. But his discipline will need to improve no matter where he's at.

What about his game suggests to you that he can play CB or free safety?/

IMO Body build / type (not height weight numbers), mental awareness/vision-wise, movement dynamics-wise, he and damarius couldn't be more different as prospects imo. I saw a slower trigger when it came to ranging in pass disruption (outside of a few highlights that I'm sure we've all seen by now) and a compact, RB build; whereas randall was a longer more fluid moving athlete that could mirror match and back-pedal coming out of college.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:56 PM, brownie man said:

I went

Rapp starting SS

Julian Love 3rd highest rated corner in the draft to me 

Hooker starting Nickle/S

young secondary makeover 

There's a lot of ways to go with these picks, but this would make me as happy as any scenario I can think of, short of someone falling a round. The only issue I see is that would mean our entire secondary would be up for new contracts at the same time, if I understand rookie contracts correctly.

35 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

What about his game suggests to you that he can play CB or free safety?/

IMO Body build / type (not height weight numbers), mental awareness/vision-wise, movement dynamics-wise, he and damarius couldn't be more different as prospects imo. I saw a slower trigger when it came to ranging in pass disruption (outside of a few highlights that I'm sure we've all seen by now) and a compact, RB build; whereas randall was a longer more fluid moving athlete that could mirror match and back-pedal coming out of college.

I think he's basically a CB playing S..which is what Randall is. He's fast and fluid and can hang with anyone man up, although he's much better facing the action. He's aware in zone and clicks/closes fast and can bait QBs with good ball skills. He's got a lot of experience in the slot and single high as well as the box. He's a finesse tackler and gets overaggressive in space and leaks tackles, but if he anticipates correctly he can blow things up. Physically and athletically, he and Randall are about identical. Randall was a better cover guy coming out and I think Savage plays angrier, but he's also more undisciplined.

1 hour ago, Wulfgard said:

There's a lot of ways to go with these picks, but this would make me as happy as any scenario I can think of, short of someone falling a round. The only issue I see is that would mean our entire secondary would be up for new contracts at the same time, if I understand rookie contracts correctly.

I assume we'd re-sign the important ones and let the less important one(s) walk, so I'm not worried about position groups having contracts ending the same time.  Hopefully we'd keep who we need to.  There's always someone to pay every year.  We'll have QB, CB1, RE, DT, FS(?), RB(?) all coming up, not to mention all the money we already have tied into WR.  Also, the only big money positions in the secondary are really CB1.  The rest should cost less (forget about this year's bizarre safety market, of course).

Archived