• Preston Williams
    • Miles Sanders
    • Darrell Henderson
    • Elijah Holyfield
    • Christian Miller
    • Isaiah Buggs
    • Tyree Jackson

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't buy this at all. Peppers was a superstar athlete for a strong safety position. Hooker's athletic numbers don't back themselves up on the field. That's why people were genuinely shocked by his combine performance. I don't dislike Hooker, but he is most certainly lagging behind Peppers in the physical department.

Their testing numbers are right in line with each other. Maybe Hooker should have played for Miami so he could get some Bleedtheclock love, like Joe Jackson with his 27" vert. 

He's veering dangerously close to FatGerman level testing. I vert 6" BTW.

12 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

I think he's basically a CB playing S..which is what Randall is. He's fast and fluid and can hang with anyone man up, although he's much better facing the action. He's aware in zone and clicks/closes fast and can bait QBs with good ball skills. He's got a lot of experience in the slot and single high as well as the box. He's a finesse tackler and gets overaggressive in space and leaks tackles, but if he anticipates correctly he can blow things up. Physically and athletically, he and Randall are about identical. Randall was a better cover guy coming out and I think Savage plays angrier, but he's also more undisciplined.

Interesting analysis. Good stuff.

This is why I love this season ... two humans with completely different perspective on the same player.

Maybe you're right; i'm more wrong. We'll see. I just don't see what you're seeing (even though I'm sure we agree on some)

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the Randall-Savage comparison as I think their movement dynamics comparison (Savage a linear, forward, stiffer, explosive speed athlete; Randall a multi-directional loose, fluid, flexible, quick footed, less explosive athlete/mover), as well as their play skill, traits, and play personality are completely different (you noted that play personality is indeed different).

I don't think Darnell can play boundary CB at all based on movement ability and play awareness.

Now, can he play nickel CB full time? Yeah, but his hips are too stiff and his foot quickness limitations are such that he won't be better than other nickel CB prospects in the draft.

Will be interesting to see where he's drafted and what his intended usage is

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't buy this at all. Peppers was a superstar athlete for a strong safety position. Hooker's athletic numbers don't back themselves up on the field. That's why people were genuinely shocked by his combine performance. I don't dislike Hooker, but he is most certainly lagging behind Peppers in the physical department.

Couldn't agree more.

It's a comp between a Quick-twitch, dynamically-fluid, loose, urgent athlete (Peppers) versus one that is none of those things despite combine athletic testing (Hooker).

There's so much more to athletic movement than athletic testing raw combine numbers capture it's so fascinating. Ted Thompson was known to give New Scouts a project to evaluate 4-5 athletes with the exact or nearly similar athletic testing numbers and measurements with the goal of the project being to write a breakdown of their athletic/movement traits followed by a breakdown of their play traits.

The vast majority of combine scouting is usually about how coordinated the athletes movement speed, quickness, and power is not the raw number measure itself.

That's why most scouts watch the combine drills and tape for movement dynamics evaluation and don't care about the time at all as long as it's in an acceptable range. a 10-5 broad jump is not the same as a 10-5 broad jump another; a 6.99, 3-cone is not a 6.99, 3-cone of another.  Ultimately, it's about how athletic they are on film.

Ultimately, there are no drills to simulate the athleticism/coordination required for say a LB to fluidly change direction at an instant, flow to the ball evading would be blockers with speed/burst pacing and body movement fluidity while moving efficiently with trash around his feet to fill a run fit or directly make a play on the ball in a position of balance and power. Beyond the athletic requirements, are the mental/instinctual awareness required to first recognize what needs to be done then second coordinate the body to do what's required.

All such things only an analysis of film can tell an evaluator what's what as similar athletes height/weight/speed-wise will be as different as elephants and giraffes.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:25 AM, Fatgerman said:

For a moment I thought my old man became a Browns fan, explored the interwebs, and joined the forum. The man lives and breathes Mopar. Even has a subscription to Mopar magazine. In my life he has went from one Dodge Omni to another, to a Ramcharger, to a Dodge Ram truck, to what he now owns which is two Dodge Ram vans, one a travel excursion van, the other a 4x4 work van. 

Plus he'd only let his ex wives drive Mopar.

I bought an F-150 when I turned 30 just to annoy him. My lil bro bought a Jeep, and my older bro owns a BMW. Screw you, Dad. Frickin Steelers fan.

MOPAR OR NO CAR!!! 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:32 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

This was so hard to pick, I ended up going:

#49 - Joejuan Williams

#80 - Renell Wren

#119 - Amani Hooker

but easily could have been something different

I really like Amani Hooker. Not just his game but personality as well. He would be a great fit imo 

Archived