PRO DAYS COULD PUSH ELITE TALENT TO LIONS AT #8

Karnage84

13 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The Lions seem intent on a more traditional TE - a guy that is a solid blocker who also offers up something in the passing game. Scott Bish wrote an article discussing the Lions past use of the TE and Bevell's usage. For what the Lions seem to want to do, a TE at 8 makes no sense.

I do think it's unlikely we take one at 8, but I also don't think we won't, simply because of our new OCs history. 

On 3/21/2019 at 5:55 PM, nagahide13 said:

Someone's going to trade up for Kyler Murray. I can't believe that the Cardinals will draft a 5'10" QB at #1 overall 1 year after taking Rosen in the 1st. Rosen didn't even get a chance last year. There is no way they should give up on him this quickly.

I think the Raiders may trade up for Murray, but they for sure shouldn't. I'd like to see the Jags snag him to sit under Foles for a minute, but they won't. I think it'll be the Giants. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think his market will be smaller than expected. He's super small, and none of the teams at the top of the draft NEED a qb (except NY at 6.)

lmao at someone who wouldnt draft someone because of their height and not there talent

22 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I don't agree with this at all. 

I hope I'm wrong tho.

I think he can be for this year with contributions from guys like Logan Thomas, Michael Roberts and/or a rookie (or two) that they bring in.

Unless the Lions pick a guy like Hockenson or Fant in the 1st, there isn't a guy who doesn't have some flaws and/or need to develop. Dawson Knox is an athletic guy with a lot of potential. He has never scored a TD in his collegiate career. He was on an offense with DK Metcalf, AJ Brown and Damarkus Lodge... so targets are going to be spread thin. He's going to need some work. Jace Sternburger really only has one year under his belt. It was a great year but he's going to be raw. He's also more of a receiver so his blocking is probably going to be lacking.

Overall - like it or not, JJ is probably going to be our TE1 for this year and hopefully another guy comes out as a surprise.

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think he can be for this year with contributions from guys like Logan Thomas, Michael Roberts and/or a rookie (or two) that they bring in.

Unless the Lions pick a guy like Hockenson or Fant in the 1st, there isn't a guy who doesn't have some flaws and/or need to develop. Dawson Knox is an athletic guy with a lot of potential. He has never scored a TD in his collegiate career. He was on an offense with DK Metcalf, AJ Brown and Damarkus Lodge... so targets are going to be spread thin. He's going to need some work. Jace Sternburger really only has one year under his belt. It was a great year but he's going to be raw. He's also more of a receiver so his blocking is probably going to be lacking.

Overall - like it or not, JJ is probably going to be our TE1 for this year and hopefully another guy comes out as a surprise.

I hope to god we dont draft a TE day 1....Stafford already has reliable hands in Jesse James...his catch rate last year was 77%.... Rudolph on the Vikings is the only notable name above him...with 78%...also same site ranks James #8 TE in the league while Rudolph is #12..also dont forget they had Vance Mcdonald....and ANTONIO FRICKIN BROWN...

35 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Though I do agree our TE situation might be one of the worst in the league last year...I think Roberts will be a good #2 and James solid #1 for at least this year.. 

I don't hold out a lot of hope for Roberts. I expect our TE#2 is going to be a rookie. Probably 200 - 300 yards, 3+/- TD's in a blocking role.

I'm starting to lean towards adding a guy like N'Keal Harry in Rd 2 if we can get another 2nd rounder. He's my WR1 and I think he could be outstanding as a big slot who can also play outside. Amendola and Marvin Jones are likely not going to be around next season. This would add some depth to the position and he could make Jones expendable.

DK Metcalf could be anywhere between Calvin Johnson and Breshad Perriman.

6 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

lmao at someone who wouldnt draft someone because of their height and not there talent

He's 5'10". Probably shorter.

Doug Flutie is the only "effective" QB EVER at that hight. Russell Wilson is taller, and tons of teams passed on him because he was too short.

Laugh your *** off all you want, but your doing it alone in the corner.

11 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

He's 5'10". Probably shorter.

Doug Flutie is the only "effective" QB EVER at that hight. Russell Wilson is taller, and tons of teams passed on him because he was too short.

Laugh your *** off all you want, but your doing it alone in the corner.

In fairness, teams did pass on Russell Wilson because of his height and they have regretted that decision ever since.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't hold out a lot of hope for Roberts. I expect our TE#2 is going to be a rookie. Probably 200 - 300 yards, 3+/- TD's in a blocking role.

I'm starting to lean towards adding a guy like N'Keal Harry in Rd 2 if we can get another 2nd rounder. He's my WR1 and I think he could be outstanding as a big slot who can also play outside. Amendola and Marvin Jones are likely not going to be around next season. This would add some depth to the position and he could make Jones expendable.

DK Metcalf could be anywhere between Calvin Johnson and Breshad Perriman.

Probably a lot more likely we draft someone who can play the "move" TE spot as James is an in line as is Roberts.  Also Amendola will give up some slot snaps