Whither Josh Jones?

TheOnlyThing

This is why I always stop myself when it comes to Devin White. Love him as a player, and really think he could help transform our defense from average to good to great.  But we may have a player similar to his skill set on our roster, not as good, but similar athletically (without looking at their combine#s) Is spending a 1st rounder on a slight upgrade at a position that I would deem not franchise altering worth it? 

Yes I know we can say that about a lot of players, but for some reason it really pops up when looking at Jones/White/Burks. 

Whats odd about this thread is I was just Googling about this same topic yesterday--what is going on with Josh Jones? After this game I was so pumped about him. Just never seemed to develop past this. 

21 hours ago, Golfman said:

True, but I think Nagler was referring to him as a safety. If not, my bad. 

Not sure now. I guess I thought he was referring to his skill set and not being able to play deep.

I was thinking the initial thought, Nagler replied to, was having Jones play ILB. Nagler’s argument could be used for almost every ILB in that scenario. 

Edited by MantyWrestler
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tredpack said:

This is why I always stop myself when it comes to Devin White. Love him as a player, and really think he could help transform our defense from average to good to great.  But we may have a player similar to his skill set on our roster, not as good, but similar athletically (without looking at their combine#s) Is spending a 1st rounder on a slight upgrade at a position that I would deem not franchise altering worth it? 

Yes I know we can say that about a lot of players, but for some reason it really pops up when looking at Jones/White/Burks. 

Whats odd about this thread is I was just Googling about this same topic yesterday--what is going on with Josh Jones? After this game I was so pumped about him. Just never seemed to develop past this. 

Like 80% of these plays are just right place/right time plays.

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What did Josh Jones do to you? You've crapped on him since about day 1. His Bengals game was a great football game, that's how he should be used in this league.

I didn't like Josh Jones the prospect.

I was the only person on this board saying that everybody needed to wait on declaring him a stud in that first rookie camp. 

The problem with Josh Jones and that Bengals game is that his performance relied on Andy Dalton being a complete scrub. 

If Dalton manages his protections at a rookie level or is willing to throw anything other than 2 yard checkdowns, that game doesn't happen. If that game doesn't happen, we don't have people trying to take themselves into a guy that really just kinda sucks. 

7 hours ago, n8ghee said:

I’d have him put on twenty pounds and strictly use him as a ILB. He has no business Covering receivers or reading a quarterback.

He's 220 pounds now. He does not need to ever be playing at 240. that would be bigger than Martinez

Of all the things wrong with Jones, his body composition isn't one of them.