Jump to content
TheOnlyThing

Whither Josh Jones?

Recommended Posts

This is why I always stop myself when it comes to Devin White. Love him as a player, and really think he could help transform our defense from average to good to great.  But we may have a player similar to his skill set on our roster, not as good, but similar athletically (without looking at their combine#s) Is spending a 1st rounder on a slight upgrade at a position that I would deem not franchise altering worth it? 

Yes I know we can say that about a lot of players, but for some reason it really pops up when looking at Jones/White/Burks. 

Whats odd about this thread is I was just Googling about this same topic yesterday--what is going on with Josh Jones? After this game I was so pumped about him. Just never seemed to develop past this. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Golfman said:

True, but I think Nagler was referring to him as a safety. If not, my bad. 

Not sure now. I guess I thought he was referring to his skill set and not being able to play deep.

I was thinking the initial thought, Nagler replied to, was having Jones play ILB. Nagler’s argument could be used for almost every ILB in that scenario. 

Edited by MantyWrestler
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tredpack said:

This is why I always stop myself when it comes to Devin White. Love him as a player, and really think he could help transform our defense from average to good to great.  But we may have a player similar to his skill set on our roster, not as good, but similar athletically (without looking at their combine#s) Is spending a 1st rounder on a slight upgrade at a position that I would deem not franchise altering worth it? 

Yes I know we can say that about a lot of players, but for some reason it really pops up when looking at Jones/White/Burks. 

Whats odd about this thread is I was just Googling about this same topic yesterday--what is going on with Josh Jones? After this game I was so pumped about him. Just never seemed to develop past this. 

 

Like 80% of these plays are just right place/right time plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Like 80% of these plays are just right place/right time plays.

What did Josh Jones do to you? You've crapped on him since about day 1. His Bengals game was a great football game, that's how he should be used in this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What did Josh Jones do to you? You've crapped on him since about day 1. His Bengals game was a great football game, that's how he should be used in this league.

I didn't like Josh Jones the prospect.

I was the only person on this board saying that everybody needed to wait on declaring him a stud in that first rookie camp. 

The problem with Josh Jones and that Bengals game is that his performance relied on Andy Dalton being a complete scrub. 

If Dalton manages his protections at a rookie level or is willing to throw anything other than 2 yard checkdowns, that game doesn't happen. If that game doesn't happen, we don't have people trying to take themselves into a guy that really just kinda sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Like 80% of these plays are just right place/right time plays.

Isn't being in the right place at the right time kind of a good thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like none of the tackles required him to shed a blocker and no one picked him up on 2 of the 3 blitzes. The 1 where he beat the TE 1 on 1 was nice though.

Edited by Jaegybomb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I prefer martini to josh jones

At least Josh Jones isn't in the AAF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm said:

At least Josh Jones isn't in the AAF

yes, excuse me, I mis-spoke.

I prefer drinking martinis to watching josh jones.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yes, excuse me, I mis-spoke.

I prefer drinking martinis to watching josh jones.

Mah Man!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 3:06 PM, Norm said:

I feel like the second thing isn't that huge of an issue. But maybe I'm a simpleton

Most nefarious of them to plan accordingly.  Whatever shall we do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d have him put on twenty pounds and strictly use him as a ILB. He has no business Covering receivers or reading a quarterback.

Edited by n8ghee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, n8ghee said:

I’d have him put on twenty pounds and strictly use him as a ILB. He has no business Covering receivers or reading a quarterback.

He's 220 pounds now. He does not need to ever be playing at 240. that would be bigger than Martinez

Of all the things wrong with Jones, his body composition isn't one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...