Whither Josh Jones?

TheOnlyThing

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

So does a tennis player turn super quick and run down a ball. 

To some extent yes.

If I could find an athlete with NFL size and willingness to hit and pro tennis lateral agility, I would have a superstar.

however:

They're entirely the wrong body type.

They're entirely the wrong aggression level.

The range of movement is entirely different. A Tennis court is 8.5 meters wide. An NFL field is roughly 17. Almost double before you take into account that tennis is far more one dimesional (running along the baseline with a few runs to the net) where as football is far more two dimensional (sideline to sideline as well as coming up to the line or dropping back deeper).

The trajectory of the ball is entirely different. What you're seeing is typically a line drive in tennis as opposed to a parabolic curve in football or baseball. Different methods of tracking a ball.

Have to agree with what someone else said regarding a Belichick story. Don't tell me what he can't do, tell me what he can do, and use him accordingly. He has made a living off of imperfect players, many who are cast offs from other teams. Perfect players are few and far between and expensive. Yeah I know, easier said than done. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

To some extent yes.

If I could find an athlete with NFL size and willingness to hit and pro tennis lateral agility, I would have a superstar.

however:

They're entirely the wrong body type.

They're entirely the wrong aggression level.

The range of movement is entirely different. A Tennis court is 8.5 meters wide. An NFL field is roughly 17. Almost double before you take into account that tennis is far more one dimesional (running along the baseline with a few runs to the net) where as football is far more two dimensional (sideline to sideline as well as coming up to the line or dropping back deeper).

The trajectory of the ball is entirely different. What you're seeing is typically a line drive in tennis as opposed to a parabolic curve in football or baseball. Different methods of tracking a ball.

That’s my point. There’s so much more to it. 

24 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Have to agree with what someone else said regarding a Belichick story. Don't tell me what he can't do, tell me what he can do, and use him accordingly. He has made a living off of imperfect players, many who are cast offs from other teams. Perfect players are few and far between and expensive. Yeah I know, easier said than done. 

Ok... What can Josh Jones do?

23 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Ok... What can Josh Jones do?

Well I'm not an expert, and his playing time has been limited, but I'll give it a shot.

6'-2" - 220 - Downhill fast, strong for his size, good tackler, strong frame, not afraid of traffic. One caveat to everything. I don't know what's between his ears. Wonderlic was a 17.

Edited by cannondale

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are you not standing in a wide expanse of grass, trying to get a great jump and run down and catch a ball in the air?

At both high safety and Centerfield?

Maybe we should call boundary corners left and right fielders.

Jones was injured early.

Then got whiny about playing time -- might have cost him more playing time.

He subbed at high safety one game with all the injuries....and settled in at the end at his natural position LB/safety hybrid. Burks and Jones will compete to start there. Maybe one of them learns how to cover.

That's my take. A healthy full off season might be what he needs to turn it around and a second year in Pettine's system.

Edited by JaireAlex

• 1 month later...

With the free agent signing of Amos and the drafting, in the first round, of Savage this offseason, it appears Gute has chosen his preferred starters at the traditional Safety positions going forward.

Where exactly does that leave 2017 second round pick Josh Jones in the upcoming 2019 season?

Does Pettine employ a 3-Safety look that gets Jones on the field by deploying him as close to the line of scrimmage as possible?

Is Jones in competition for playing time alongside Martinez?

Or is Jones just a backup Safety/Special Teams guy at this point?

On 3/22/2019 at 1:14 PM, Packerraymond said:

This is literally the way Belicheck runs any Joe Blow out there and keeps a top 15 defense. What does this guy do well and how do I encompass that into my defense?

Been saying this very same thing for years...The reason BB is the best is because he chooses players who do only one thing well and then only asks them to do that one thing; he doesnt ask them to do things they are not capable of.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

With Josh being an apparently healthy inactive once again.......

I didnt actually see the game but monitored it on line and from that vantage point it seemed to me we had a bunch of healthy but inactive guys on the field. The game had a "dont get hurt" feel to it. There were no singular or individual efforts that stood out and there certainly werent any squad "spikes" in achievement. Not much of anything comes to mind about this game....which I guess qualifies it as a good preseason game? Dont know.